Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 28, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #6,167 of 8,828
hi all,

I just picked up these bad boys up yesterday, so bit late to the party but glad to be here.

I upgraded from the HD6xx, after comparing a bunch of headphones in store i.e. ADX5000, Beyer T1.2, HD660s, Clears.
HD800S and ADX5000 were my favourites but ADX5000 was just bit too overpriced so went for this instead.

HD800S is a step up from from HD6xx in regards to clarity, resolution, imaging/soundstage, details but HD6xx always has the warm/soothing mids going for it. Honestly though, I am quite surprised to find HD800S quite musical and goes well with quite alot of genres I listen to, even when compared to the HD6xx despite many contradictory reviews I have read.

Currently running it with a Questyle CMA Twelve balanced, considering in near future to possibly add an OTL tube amp in the chain.

In store I did compare the CMA Twelve to a Woo WA22, and think the WA22 sounds a bit more spacious, more seperation, and making things sound slightly softer and possibly bit more reverb. Was a nice difference.

Currently considering a bottlehead crack or La figaro 339 as I think they are pretty bang for buck from what I have read, Feliks amps look nice but seem bit overpriced especially when considering purchasing it here in Australia.

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #6,168 of 8,828
hi all,

I just picked up these bad boys up yesterday, so bit late to the party but glad to be here.

I upgraded from the HD6xx, after comparing a bunch of headphones in store i.e. ADX5000, Beyer T1.2, HD660s, Clears.
HD800S and ADX5000 were my favourites but ADX5000 was just bit too overpriced so went for this instead.

HD800S is a step up from from HD6xx in regards to clarity, resolution, imaging/soundstage, details but HD6xx always has the warm/soothing mids going for it. Honestly though, I am quite surprised to find HD800S quite musical and goes well with quite alot of genres I listen to, even when compared to the HD6xx despite many contradictory reviews I have read.

Currently running it with a Questyle CMA Twelve balanced, considering in near future to possibly add an OTL tube amp in the chain.

In store I did compare the CMA Twelve to a Woo WA22, and think the WA22 sounds a bit more spacious, more seperation, and making things sound slightly softer and possibly bit more reverb. Was a nice difference.

Currently considering a bottlehead crack or La figaro 339 as I think they are pretty bang for buck from what I have read, Feliks amps look nice but seem bit overpriced especially when considering purchasing it here in Australia.

Also consider the WA2. I purchased it last month and now i regret no buying it 10 years ago. It's excellent.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #6,169 of 8,828
Also consider the WA2. I purchased it last month and now i regret no buying it 10 years ago. It's excellent.

I actually had the WA2 in the past, bought it used for a great price of $550~ but the stock tubes had alot of noise (probably just needed some better tubes) so I sold it off, honestly dont know what I was thinking because I doubt I could ever get it for that price again. Definitely a regretful sale for me, so I decided against buying the WA2 again as I would feel silly now to re-buy again and pay a lot more.

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #6,170 of 8,828
sorry, posted on wrong thread.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #6,171 of 8,828
I realize I'm a member of a small subset in the headphone community - those who listen to headphones with vintage speaker amps. I consider myself lucky and fortunate to have been turned on to this option a few years back and have listened to them exclusively since about 2014, eschewing all headphone-specific amps.

Why mention that? All the talk about "no bass" with this magnificent headphone is hard for me to fathom. They not only have bass, it's quality and it hits hard, when fed right............I listen straight out of the speaker taps via XLR on my 800S along with three other headphones - the HE-6SE and LCD-2C and Ether2, and all respond well to both speaker amps and speaker tap direct connections.

Just offering another option to you gents. These headphones can really deliver the bass.

Where did you get the speaker to XLR cable?

Nov 29, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #6,172 of 8,828
Where did you get the speaker to XLR cable?

From Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge. I've bought three of those from him as well as had him recable a few headphones for me. Great guy..............

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #6,173 of 8,828
I am amazed at how differently the HD800S sounds across various amps. I have been listening to my new pair for over 6 hours a day since I got them and they are fantastic. They don't lack bass and they aren't even bright. Just full, clear, detailed and balanced sound. What a night and day difference. For Jazz and Classical music, these headphones are perfect for me. They even sound great for other genres of music I listen to. Maybe a bit bass light for some types, but certainly listenable and enjoyable. I think I finally found what I will call a reference headphone because I can compare everything I listen to these headphones and understand the type of sound signature I am getting. I love these headphones.

This is pretty much my impression exactly, was not expecting it after reading many contradicting reviews.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #6,174 of 8,828
This is pretty much my impression exactly, was not expecting it after reading many contradicting reviews.

Same for me, I was expecting something analytical and lifeless and it is quite the contrary, 800s is very punchy and musical but on the natural side (expect no sound coloration), and the bass is definitely not thin !!!

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #6,175 of 8,828
Same for me, I was expecting something analytical and lifeless and it is quite the contrary, 800s is very punchy and musical but on the natural side (expect no sound coloration), and the bass is definitely not thin !!!
If I didn't hear it with my own ears, I wouldn't have believed any of it. The first time I heard the HD800S was in a hifi store. I paired it with a Chord Hugo 2 and it was bass light and too hot in the treble. After that experience, I ruled them out. Just recently, I took a chance and paired them with my Bottlehead Crack and the sound is absolutely glorious. Night and day difference in sound quality, richness, balance and detail.

Nov 30, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #6,177 of 8,828
Which tubes are you running with the Crack for the HD800S pairing?
Western Electric 421A power tube
CBS Hytron 5814a input tube

I settled upon this pairing after testing about 5 or 6 options for each

Nov 30, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #6,179 of 8,828
I really love the sound of these headphones so much, but kind of kicking myself now as I have had it for only a few days but looks like I have already caused some cosmetic damage.

I was putting it on my headphone stand (metal silverstone one), and accidently bumped the left cup on the stand a bit and now there is a scratch mark on it (chipped off a bit of the black paint).

Today I was removing the connectors from the headphone, guess what, scratched it again, with bit of dent/scratch on the silver driver thingy but seems to not affect the sound at all.

Had my HD6xx for a few Years, never seemed to get scratched or cosmetic issues so easily.

I am now trying to be extra extra careful with handling these babies....sigh.

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #6,180 of 8,828
Thanks.

Looks like I may be getting a La Figaro 339 soon to pair with this baby.Cant wait!!
Nice. That should sound great. I bought my son an HD6XX and a Dark Voice 336 to go with it. Probably will pair it with a Modi Multibit dac.

The only issue I have with the Figaro is that it requires 4 tubes. Once you start tube rolling and looking for matched pairs of tubes, you will know what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back