Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #6,136 of 8,828
I get the impression the HD800S is so transparent with respect to amps that it requires an authoritative and powerful one to really sound how most people wish it did. I’ve tried my HD800S on MANY amps and have felt it’s sound was inferior to what I’m used to in most cases.

I would even go so far as to say the HD800S has no sound per se because it’s so amp and DAC dependent. Obviously it has limits, but you’d be surprised how easily the sound changes from one amp to the next.

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #6,139 of 8,828
Perhaps, perhaps not

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #6,140 of 8,828
I run my HD800s thru the Flux FA-10 amp (pure class A, 2x16w @32ohm, 2x1.7w @300ohm) and Chord Mojo DAC.

I don’t understand why so people find 800s lacking in bass, having a thin sound, not musical, clinical, artificially wide, etc. : 800s is nothing like this, quite the contrary !!!

I have or had HE6se, Sundara, Fidelio X2, Kennerton Vali, Beyerdynamic Amiron.

You want a wonderful headphone? Get a 800s.

I’m currently listening to 800s, Dana Winner - One moment in time : it is beautiful, really.

Nov 19, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #6,141 of 8,828
I realize I'm a member of a small subset in the headphone community - those who listen to headphones with vintage speaker amps. I consider myself lucky and fortunate to have been turned on to this option a few years back and have listened to them exclusively since about 2014, eschewing all headphone-specific amps.

Why mention that? All the talk about "no bass" with this magnificent headphone is hard for me to fathom. They not only have bass, it's quality and it hits hard, when fed right............I listen straight out of the speaker taps via XLR on my 800S along with three other headphones - the HE-6SE and LCD-2C and Ether2, and all respond well to both speaker amps and speaker tap direct connections.

Just offering another option to you gents. These headphones can really deliver the bass.

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #6,142 of 8,828
I finally ordered a pair of HD800S headphones. They arrived today. I plugged them into my upgraded Bottlehead Crack and I wasn't sure what to expect because I first heard these headphones about 3 months ago. I was driving it with a Chord Hugo 2 and I really hated the sound. It was so sharp and without any bass. It was so bad, I didn't even try to pair it with anything else.

After some urging by members of the head fi community to give it another try with my BHC, I finally did it. And the result is? I LOVE IT. I knew it after 5 seconds. There was plenty of clean and present bass. The sound stage is unbeatable. The detail and clarity are magnificent. Classical music is absolutely sublime. I even played tracks from my demo playlist and everything sounded great. There could have been more volume of bass on some tracks, but I would not say that it is bass light. It's perfect for classical music. I was seriously ready to EQ these headphones. None is needed although I am still going to try it to see what happens to the sound for genres requiring deep and hard hitting bass.

I am streaming Tidal directly to my Bluesound Node 2i streamer controlled by my iPhone > via optical cable to Schiit Modi Multibit > via RCA to Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, Mundorf Evo Oil Caps, Blue Alps Pot, Western Electric 421A Power tube, CBS Hytron 5814a input tube. > Sennheiser HD800S.

The last thing I want to do with this system is replace the Mimby with a Bimby. This system along with my HD650 and HD600 is complete. I might want to add one more ZMF headphone to the mix. Then, I can move on to another project like a listening room with speakers.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #6,144 of 8,828
Hello,

which combination sounds better - HD800s with Violectric V280 or HD800s with Feliks Audio Elise?

regards.
Simon
I think they sound will sound good on both. The warm sound signature of the V280 should pair well with the HD800S. I'm listening to my HD800S's directly out of my RME ADi-2 Pro and it sounds absolutely amazing. I'm listening to some reggae music and the bass is deep and very fullfilling. Clarity and instrument separation is off the charts good out of the RME.

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #6,146 of 8,828
Anyone tried to pair HD800S with pass speaker amp ?

Nov 21, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #6,147 of 8,828
Hello,

which combination sounds better - HD800s with Violectric V280 or HD800s with Feliks Audio Elise?

regards.
Simon

I would say it depends on the kind of music you prefer.
Well recorded jand a preference for midrange emphasis? Tube amps.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #6,149 of 8,828
Looking to upgrade the stock balanced cable. The Black Dragon has my interest. Is there anything else out there to consider around the same price?

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #6,150 of 8,828
I get the impression the HD800S is so transparent with respect to amps that it requires an authoritative and powerful one to really sound how most people wish it did. I’ve tried my HD800S on MANY amps and have felt it’s sound was inferior to what I’m used to in most cases.

I would even go so far as to say the HD800S has no sound per se because it’s so amp and DAC dependent. Obviously it has limits, but you’d be surprised how easily the sound changes from one amp to the next.
So true! With Violectric v280 it sound powerfull and with Beyerdynamic a20 bass increase by a massive amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back