Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 13, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #6,106 of 8,813
"In fact going from a ZMF headphone back to the HD800S’s they sound sound lacking in everything. You’d definitely have to let your ears readjust to the sound to enjoy them." Sorry, but this is a little ambiguous. Are the "they" that sound lacking the 800S sounding inferior to the ZMF, or the ZMF sounding inferior to the 800S?

I have both the 800S and the ZMF Verite Closed, and I give the Verite the nod as the better overall, though it is a close call with a lot of tradeoffs in some areas. The most important factor is that the Verite is much more "musical", meaning having instrumental timbres more accurate and enjoyable with a number of instruments, as with violins, double bass, and sax for instance. Significantly less grain in instrumental textures. However, the 800S is considerably more accurate in micro-detail which especially shows up in the leading edges of plucked string instrument transients as in guitar and harpsichord and high hat with jazz. The Verite sounds a little slow, rolled off and smeared in transient response in comparison. This may seem subtle, but it is important in reproducing a sound of "liveness" with these instruments and ensembles. Also, the 800S has a wider soundstage which I like.
The HD800S’s transients are faster and more lively than any ZMF headphone to my ears, including the Vérité’s. The Vérité’s are the best ZMF headphones and I wouldn’t might owning a pair. Sound wise they are just at opposite ends of musical spectrum.

Nov 13, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #6,107 of 8,813
Oh i absolutely agree that the ZMF VO, VC or even the Auteur is better than 800s. Really hard to beat the ZMF mids and vocals, especially with tube amps. However, being a headfi'er, we cant help but listen to headphones that we know arent in the same league as our flagship/favorite cans. I am in that boat. With my elise and VC, i am finally satisfied with every music genre. Hands down. Every other HP i own, is a step below. With that being said, Every once in a while I like to take my VC off and put on my Auteur, Arya and occasionally the Clears. My HP choice is always evolving. And since I give my clears the least amount of time, i thought maybe its time for it to go to a different owner. Hence I was wondering if there is anything in that price range that i can venture into. My picks are 800s, Sony Z1R, Stellia (higher price).

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #6,108 of 8,813
Oh i absolutely agree that the ZMF VO, VC or even the Auteur is better than 800s. Really hard to beat the ZMF mids and vocals, especially with tube amps. However, being a headfi'er, we cant help but listen to headphones that we know arent in the same league as our flagship/favorite cans. I am in that boat. With my elise and VC, i am finally satisfied with every music genre. Hands down. Every other HP i own, is a step below. With that being said, Every once in a while I like to take my VC off a put on my Auteur, Arya and occasionally the Clears. My HP choice is always evolving. And since I give my clears the least amount of time, i thought maybe its time for it to go to a different owner. Hence I was wondering if there is anything in that price range that i can venture into. My picks are 800s, Sony Z1R, Stellia (higher price).

A few thoughts. I had a Heddphone (Heil folded diaphragm driver) for a while, and sent it back. Not recommended. I have an HE1000se and highly recommend it, but it's somewhat out of the price range (though occasionally one can be picked up on discount or used). I had an HE1000V2 and loved it. It was in many areas significantly better than the HD800S. It was even better than the HE1000se in one area - it lacked some of the HEKse's annoying treble resonances. Some designs that may be excellent based on reviews (haven't heard them) - Kennerton Odin planar magnetic (Russian), LSA HP-1 planar magnetic (very moderate price, made by Kennerton, but sold by Underwood Hi-Fi which has no unconditional return policy), Meze Empyrean (price is out of the range, now sold by Audio Advisor which has a very good unconditional 30-day return policy).

Nov 13, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #6,109 of 8,813
Who in this thread gone through all or many TOTLs and ended coming back to HD800S ? And if so why?

Nov 13, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #6,110 of 8,813
I repeat myself, I know...but back on my 5th pair of HD800(S)...always missed them and regretted selling.
Have sold Utopia( soundstage too intimate), Clear( never really liked it and the pads get dirty fast) and all my Audezes and Stax...there’s just something about the HD800S I love.

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #6,111 of 8,813
I repeat myself, I know...but back on my 5th pair of HD800(S)...always missed them and regretted selling.
Have sold Utopia( soundstage too intimate), Clear( never really liked it and the pads get dirty fast) and all my Audezes and Stax...there’s just something about the HD800S I love.

Have you tried sr1a, susvara or abyss tc?

Nov 13, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #6,112 of 8,813
Have you tried sr1a, susvara or abyss tc?
Have tried Susvara at High End last year in Munich and own Abyss1266 CC; I find both headphones outstanding but Hifiman quality control is hit and miss, also Susvara is overpriced.
Never tried the Sr1a and by all accounts they are a bit bass shy. Personally I don’t think the HD800S in the right configuration and at a good volume are lacking rumble.
Will get the Final Audio 8000 Pro next week and I am quite excited.

Nov 13, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #6,113 of 8,813
Have tried Susvara at High End last year in Munich and own Abyss1266 CC; I find both headphones outstanding but Hifiman quality control is hit and miss, also Susvara is overpriced.
Never tried the Sr1a and by all accounts they are a bit bass shy. Personally I don’t think the HD800S in the right configuration and at a good volume are lacking rumble.
Will get the Final Audio 8000 Pro next week and I am quite excited.
Now that's a headphone that interest me, the Final Audio D8000 Pro's

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #6,114 of 8,813
Who in this thread gone through all or many TOTLs and ended coming back to HD800S ? And if so why?
A while ago I spent several hours comparing many headphones: Focal Clear, Utopia, Hifiman Arya, HE100SE, Meze Empyrean, Stax 500, Final Audio, Sennheiser HD800S and HD820, Audio Technica, HEDD and some others I don't remember :xf_cool: . After that on my short list was the Sennheiser HD800S and Stax (Utopia for some music too). I finally decided to get the Sennheiser. Funny thing: when I tried the HD800S the first time I was not impressed. It sounded well but no "WOW, that's the one and only!". After switching back and forth between the different headphone I liked the HD800S more and more. Well balanced and sound stage as I like it (precise, natural sounding, not too big). Sure the bass is lean, no "hard hitting punch". On the other hand it was never annoying as some of the other headphones I tried.

Nov 15, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #6,115 of 8,813
A while ago I spent several hours comparing many headphones: Focal Clear, Utopia, Hifiman Arya, HE100SE, Meze Empyrean, Stax 500, Final Audio, Sennheiser HD800S and HD820, Audio Technica, HEDD and some others I don't remember :xf_cool: . After that on my short list was the Sennheiser HD800S and Stax (Utopia for some music too). I finally decided to get the Sennheiser. Funny thing: when I tried the HD800S the first time I was not impressed. It sounded well but no "WOW, that's the one and only!". After switching back and forth between the different headphone I liked the HD800S more and more. Well balanced and sound stage as I like it (precise, natural sounding, not too big). Sure the bass is lean, no "hard hitting punch". On the other hand it was never annoying as some of the other headphones I tried.

Out of curiosity, which DAC/amp was used during the listening session?

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #6,117 of 8,813
My only gripe about the clear is the harsh upper end
I thought the Clears where a relatively smooth sounding HP.
This tells me that not only HD800S have this problem. Maybe unavoidable when your at this level of clarity? Even my wireless Sony wh-1000xm2 have peaks with sibilant recordings. Maybe a downside with dynamic HP? Planars better with sibilant peaks? Or maybe not because i cant remmeber hearing peaks with HD650 but it was along time i listened to it .

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #6,118 of 8,813
Well, to be fair to the Clear, it works perfectly with warm sounding amps. I used to own a Hagerman Audio Tuba Parafeed amp and it was a bliss. Ive since moved on to a Feliks Audio Elise and a GSX-mini and it has a peak in the high end. Maybe its just me, but I couldnt stand that treble peak so I sold my clear to a fellow Headfier.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #6,119 of 8,813
So I bought the HD800S because despite having never tried them, I had heard pretty good things about them, I got them at an unbelieveable price and I expected them to be my end game. The problem is, I have never "connected" with them the way I expected to. I don't find them uncomfortable, but they aren't super comfortable either, it's hard to describe, but I find them a little distracting. I also feel like when I am wearing/using them, I need to pay attention to them entirely to make the most of the detail they can produce.

I was wondering if there were any comfort upgrades I could consider. I think the main area of concern are the pads which sit against my cheeks. They don't feel snug.

When I compare them to the T1's, the T1's just feel more comfortable and more engaging. I like the detail of the HD800 though I can find them a little over detailed if such a thing is a real term.

They are said to be the best gaming headphone around, and I do gaming (though I assume they mean PC gaming as I am not sure the console controller could amplify them?

Any tips or tricks etc would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back