Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 10, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #6,091 of 8,828
Get a quality music server, course it’s not free. You don’t need to eq but nothing wrong in doing just that

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #6,092 of 8,828
Download equalizer APO with peace UI. Punch in those oratory1990 Harmon target EQ settings and adjust to taste if needed.

Download equalizer APO with peace UI. Punch in those oratory1990 Harmon target EQ settings and adjust to taste if needed.
Yeah, but I just got rid of my laptop, iPhone and iPad from the signal path to improve sound quality with a Bluesound Node 2i streamer. I'd have to put my laptop back in to use that software unless you have an alternative. I could do a hardware equalizer or something in a Roon server. I think I will try it by putting my laptop back in and see what it does to the sound signature of the HD800S and if it works well, then try Roon.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #6,093 of 8,828
Nov 10, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #6,094 of 8,828
The S is an equalized pair of 800s. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :wink:

Nov 12, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #6,095 of 8,828
Can someone plz help me decide between the 800s and the focal clear. I am currently contemplating selling or trading my clears for 800s but I kinda torn because I worked really hard to save some cash to buy the clears. My only gripe about the clear is the harsh upper end. Is the hd800s better than the clear is that criteria? What about miss and low end? Which one sounds like the more complete package?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Nov 12, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #6,096 of 8,828
I had a pair of HD800 a couple of years ago.
Loved them but wanted to try something new.
Sold them and bought the Clears. I just never warmed up to the clears. I felt they werent in the same league. So I sold the Clears and now have HD800S. I am very happy again. Just my experience. Others may feel different.

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #6,097 of 8,828
Can someone plz help me decide between the 800s and the focal clear. I am currently contemplating selling or trading my clears for 800s but I kinda torn because I worked really hard to save some cash to buy the clears. My only gripe about the clear is the harsh upper end. Is the hd800s better than the clear is that criteria? What about miss and low end? Which one sounds like the more complete package?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks
It depends on what you want from a sound standpoint. The HD800S’s has the edge in soundstage. TheClears are more intimate sounding. The HD800S’s midrange is clearer, cleaner sounding. The Clears have a slight grain in the midrange when compared to the HD800S’s to my ears. With that said, the Clears have more midrange body. The HD800S’s have sharper transients, although Clears might be faster. The Clears have the edge in bass heft and extension. They simply have more bass and an overall fuller sound with a balanced attack. The HD800S’s aren’t necessarily bass light but they just don’t have the bass presence of the Clears. Treble i have to give the edge to the HD800S’s. I like the openness and clarity of the HD800S’s more. Although the Clears sound a bit more natural.

The Clears are the better all around headphone for a number of different music genres. For genres like pop, classic rock, and metal the HD800S’s sound thin and lifeless. The HD800S’s do nothing to make those genes sound listenable. For classical, acoustic, jazz, live performances the HD800S’s sound superb. Everything else the Clears are preferable. On tubes the HD800S’s gains some fullness to its sound and gets the nod of the Clears to my ears. On Solid state amps the Clears perform better. So that’s my take on the two.

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #6,098 of 8,828
seems listenable to me

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #6,099 of 8,828
Considering the other Hp in my collection, do you think trading the clear for a 800s would add something new to my collection? I love the looks and most of the sound of my clears. especially with my Gs-x mini and my Elise. However, once i put my Zmfs and arya on my head, i kinda forget about the clears. It sounds pretty close to the arya minus the soundstage. It also sounds similar to my LCD-x minus the bass slam. But it doesnt sound anything like my Zmfs, they are unique and have no comparison. So i have been feeling that the clears are kinda redundant in my collection, and after reading some reviews about the 800s, i thought maybe they will be a at least an upgrade to the clears. But i dont want to trade beautiful hp such as the clear for the 800s without knowing anything about it.

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #6,100 of 8,828
Considering the other Hp in my collection, do you think trading the clear for a 800s would add something new to my collection? I love the looks and most of the sound of my clears. especially with my Gs-x mini and my Elise. However, once i put my Zmfs and arya on my head, i kinda forget about the clears. It sounds pretty close to the arya minus the soundstage. It also sounds similar to my LCD-x minus the bass slam. But it doesnt sound anything like my Zmfs, they are unique and have no comparison. So i have been feeling that the clears are kinda redundant in my collection, and after reading some reviews about the 800s, i thought maybe they will be a at least an upgrade to the clears. But i dont want to trade beautiful hp such as the clear for the 800s without knowing anything about it.
The HD800S’s would definitely be a complementary headphone to any ZMF. ZMF headphones have a thick midrange and a lot bass. That is not the HD800S’s at all. In fact going from a ZMF headphone back to the HD800S’s they sound sound lacking in everything. You’d definitely have to let your ears readjust to the sound to enjoy them.

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #6,101 of 8,828
Thanks @Slim1970 .

That was extremely helpful. I completely agree with your assessment. I think i m gonna do more research on the 800s. In the mean time, I ll give my clears another try and see if tube rolling my LP and Elise can help alleviate the Clear harshness. Btw, anyone here want to trade me their 800s. I got some stuff i wanna trade. 1 hp + 2 amps for a 800s.

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #6,104 of 8,828
The biggest difference between the Focal Clear and HD 800S is that the HD 800S is more V-shaped with a bigger sound stage. The Focal Clear is a side-grade rather than an upgrade over the HD 800S. So I would not bother getting the Focal Clear to be honest if you have the HD 800S.

If you have the HD 800S, better go for the Focal Utopia as that is a "clear" upgrade.

To be honest, I never use my Focal Clear headphones at all. The only use case I have for it is when I have to travel to an other country for work as the Focal Clear comes with a nice travel case. But with COVID-19, that is not happening anymore.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #6,105 of 8,828
The HD800S’s would definitely be a complementary headphone to any ZMF. ZMF headphones have a thick midrange and a lot bass. That is not the HD800S’s at all. In fact going from a ZMF headphone back to the HD800S’s they sound sound lacking in everything. You’d definitely have to let your ears readjust to the sound to enjoy them.

"In fact going from a ZMF headphone back to the HD800S’s they sound sound lacking in everything. You’d definitely have to let your ears readjust to the sound to enjoy them." Sorry, but this is a little ambiguous. Are the "they" that sound lacking the 800S sounding inferior to the ZMF, or the ZMF sounding inferior to the 800S?

I have both the 800S and the ZMF Verite Closed, and I give the Verite the nod as the better overall, though it is a close call with a lot of tradeoffs in some areas. The most important factor is that the Verite is much more "musical", meaning having instrumental timbres more accurate and enjoyable with a number of instruments, as with violins, double bass, and sax for instance. Significantly less grain in instrumental textures. However, the 800S is considerably more accurate in micro-detail which especially shows up in the leading edges of plucked string instrument transients as in guitar and harpsichord and high hat with jazz. The Verite sounds a little slow, rolled off and smeared in transient response in comparison. This may seem subtle, but it is important in reproducing a sound of "liveness" with these instruments and ensembles. Also, the 800S has a wider soundstage which I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back