Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Oct 26, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #6,046 of 8,697
Hi fellow owners,

I have an HD-800S paired it with a Lake People G103S amplifier and I love them. (I read this review: https://www.headphoneer.com/hd800-amplifier-review/, I bought this amp used for half price)

I was thinking, what if my 6,3 mm jack cable broke (you never know), then I have an other cable, which is 4,4 mm Pentaconn which I couldn't connect to my amp, since it has only a 6,3 mm jack connection.

Can you buy somewhere, for a reasonable price, an 6,3 mm male to 4,4 mm female adapter like this: https://www.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21738131648701

Just in case the 6,3 mm cable broke, and I want to listen to music immediately.

To buy a new cable or chose pentaconn amp takes time (and money).

I am also curious how would it sound with the other cable + adapter. (I know it won't be balanced, but it's nice to have an usable extra cable)

6,3 to 4,4.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #6,047 of 8,697
Recently bought one of these great headphones................loving the sound, light weight/comfort and the BASS.

So who else is driving these from a vintage speaker amp besides me? I run them right from the speaker taps via XLR and am thrilled at the sound. Had the original HD800 a few years ago, traded it and now am keeping the S version for the forseeable future. Here's what drives it now...........

Cerwin Vega DX-5 setup for Spec system with JBL Sub.jpg

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #6,049 of 8,697
Crewing Vegas , ha. Had c5 back in the 80’s, brings back memories.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #6,050 of 8,697
I have HE6se and after owning for years several headphones and IEM, HE6se is my true house sound and a TOTL that I will certainly never sell.

I’m considering HD800s as a complement of HE6se (for Dire Straits, acoustic songs, well recorded live songs, some Diana Krall songs, etc) because of the acclaimed HD800s soundstage. However I never fell that HE6se soundstage is missing and it can sound big if necessary.

So is HD800s a good option regarding its soundstage ? I guess that in other sound aspects, HE6se will be a winner : in other words, does HD800s soundstage provide a unique listening experience compared to HE6se or the difference is not that big ?

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #6,051 of 8,697
I have HE6se and after owning for years several headphones and IEM, HE6se is my true house sound and a TOTL that I will certainly never sell.

I’m considering HD800s as a complement of HE6se (for Dire Straits, acoustic songs, well recorded live songs, some Diana Krall songs, etc) because of the acclaimed HD800s soundstage. However I never fell that HE6se soundstage is missing and it can sound big if necessary.

So is HD800s a good option regarding its soundstage ? I guess that in other sound aspects, HE6se will be a winner : in other words, does HD800s soundstage provide a unique listening experience compared to HE6se or the difference is not that big ?
If those are the genres of music you plan on listening to then the HD800S's is better suited for them. The HD800S's is a unique listening experience and excels at acoustic, jazz, classical, and live performances. The HE6se, which I owned twice, is better suited for just about any other musical genre. It has more midrange energy and bass punch and I loved it for metal, pop, R&B, and some others. The HE6se's are not bad for acoustic or live performances. It's just not as good as the HD800S's.

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #6,052 of 8,697
If those are the genres of music you plan on listening to then the HD800S's is better suited for them. The HD800S's is a unique listening experience and excels at acoustic, jazz, classical, and live performances. The HE6se, which I owned twice, is better suited for just about any other musical genre. It has more midrange energy and bass punch and I loved it for metal, pop, R&B, and some others. The HE6se's are not bad for acoustic or live performances. It's just not as good as the HD800S's.

That’s very good news because I find HE6se amazing for live and acoustic !!!

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #6,053 of 8,697
That’s very good news because I find HE6se amazing for live and acoustic !!!
Stick some EH gold pins in , Mullard CV4003 and never look back. Will handle any genre, so no need to have specific listening sessions for specific genre headphones. The combo i described is pretty much endgame with respect to WA7/WA7tp.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #6,054 of 8,697
Is that a Jbl sub ?

Yep..............as if the Cerwin Vegas need the help! :slight_smile: Got it as part of a package deal so put it in the system. It really pounds as you would imagine.

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #6,056 of 8,697
I remember back when I read the original HD800 thread - there was always a complaint about lack of bass...............fed the way I do it there is NO lack of bass at all. Frankly, they thump. I'm really impressed with these headphones in every way. I rotate them, the HE-6SE and the LCD2C roughly every week or so and am finding myself gravitating to the HD800S. Some of it is the weight of these compared to the others..............being 59 with a neck pain issue (surgery a few years ago) these are light as a feather.

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #6,057 of 8,697
Totally agree, its how its fed, bass is fine

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #6,058 of 8,697
@Oregonian I agree as well. I have lcd2c and have not listened to them in a few months, which I will end up selling soon. Bass sounds even better with oratory EQ, but I have been listening to them stock recently.

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #6,059 of 8,697
I remember back when I read the original HD800 thread - there was always a complaint about lack of bass...............fed the way I do it there is NO lack of bass at all. Frankly, they thump. I'm really impressed with these headphones in every way. I rotate them, the HE-6SE and the LCD2C roughly every week or so and am finding myself gravitating to the HD800S. Some of it is the weight of these compared to the others..............being 59 with a neck pain issue (surgery a few years ago) these are light as a feather.

I just have pulled the trigger on a second hand HD800s, I’ll finally be able to see how they sound, can’t wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

• TyTB
Back