Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jul 2, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #4,756 of 8,758
Narrowing the soundstage is a no go for me. I'll just replace the stock pads.

They don't narrow the sound stage at all. I'm confused as to how you think they did that ?

Seriously, don't be put off because of a sole amazon review. In my opinion the misodiko pads don't narrow or reduce the huge soundstage at all.

We paid alot of money for our headphones, and these are the best pads for the 800's that I've personally tried. All the misodiko's do is make your headphones very comfortable to wear and easily cleaned, and the huge soundstage is still there and untouched.

There is 3 of us who have purchased the misodiko lambskin pads here, and each of us are saying they are great and that they don't mess with the huge sound stage that the HD800 range have.

Live dangerously and buy a set, if you're in the UK you have 14 days to decide if you like them, if not you are entitled to a full refund yay!

Infact, I think that they are so good, I would advise every HD800/S/820 owner to go out and buy a pair, as for $€£35, they are an absolute steal and the build quality is very good.

These are so good that I will never go back to using the stock pads again. Anyway, whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your new pads whatever they may be.

I'm not affiliated with misodiko or any other company/person that sells their products.

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #4,757 of 8,758
They don't narrow the sound stage at all. I'm confused as to how you think they did that ?

Seriously, don't be put off because of a sole amazon review. In my opinion the misodiko pads don't narrow or reduce the huge soundstage at all.

We paid alot of money for our headphones, and these are the best pads for the 800's that I've personally tried. All the misodiko's do is make your headphones very comfortable to wear and easily cleaned, and the huge soundstage is still there and untouched.

There is 3 of us who have purchased the misodiko lambskin pads here, and each of us are saying they are great and that they don't mess with the huge sound stage that the HD800 range have.

Live dangerously and buy a set, if you're in the UK you have 14 days to decide if you like them, if not you are entitled to a full refund yay!

Infact, I think that they are so good, I would advise every HD800/S/820 owner to go out and buy a pair, as for $€£35, they are an absolute steal and the build quality is very good.

These are so good that I will never go back to using the stock pads again. Anyway, whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your new pads whatever they may be.

I'm not affiliated with misodiko or any other company/person that sells their products.
The issue is with larger ear pads that increase the dimensions of the HD 800/S cup. I will stop short of naming the other company's ear pads in question which, I believe is limited by their construction resources/expertise.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #4,758 of 8,758
The issue is with larger ear pads that increase the dimensions of the HD 800/S cup. I will stop short of naming
the other company's ear pads in question which, I believe is limited by their construction resources/expertise.

I hear what your saying, but for only 35 whatevers, you can't go wrong. Plus they are the exact same dimensions as the stock fabric pads, which for me is perfect, as I just wanted a leather replacement for the stock pads.

Jul 2, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #4,759 of 8,758
someone said it reduces the Soundstage. I don't want that. ........

Narrowing the soundstage is a no go for me. I'll just replace the stock pads.

I like the idea. For me the soundstage is unnaturally large.

That's what makes this hobby so intriguing...our hearing and preferences vary vastly...it can also make garnering information in order to make a purchase decision all rather frustrating.
Expectations and power of suggestion do have an incredible influence on our hearing so it's really important to take in as many user observations as possible.... and on hands experience more or less trumps all but still susceptible to "Expectations and power of suggestion" lol

Needless to say... if one user finds an alternative pad narrows the soundstage another user may discover it widens the soundstage.....me I'm enjoying the increased comfort/ wearability and the overall sound presentation is as I remember if not slightly improved. : )

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #4,760 of 8,758
It's interesting that they widened the yokes on new HD800 S. They said it was due to durability concerns, but who ever heard of any issue with the original yoke? Not me. Seems just as likely they wanted to combine the assembly lines for both HD820S and HD800 S. It might be a bit less elegant compared side to side but I honestly didn't even notice the difference upon first handling the new version.

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #4,761 of 8,758
I bought them as they were recommended for classical music. I was disappointed that everything sounds as if it was recorded at the back of a cave or the Albert Hall.

I listen exclusively classical music and in my opinion the HD800S is among the very few headphones that can communicate exactly
and with great accuracy the recording venue.

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #4,763 of 8,758
It's interesting that they widened the yokes on new HD800 S. They said it was due to durability concerns, but who ever heard of any issue with the original yoke? Not me. Seems just as likely they wanted to combine the assembly lines for both HD820S and HD800 S. It might be a bit less elegant compared side to side but I honestly didn't even notice the difference upon first handling the new version.

Where did you read they widened the yokes? I didn’t know they did that either.

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #4,765 of 8,758
Where did you read they widened the yokes? I didn’t know they did that either.

It was mentioned on page 302 of this thread. I can confirm as I just replaced my HD800 S under warranty. Here is a picture comparing the two yokes (the new one is on an HD820S in the picture) https://imgur.com/a/eCJsILJ

Jul 3, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #4,766 of 8,758
Regarding the Misokido pads.
I haven't tried them yet but I can see from the photos that this aren't exactly the same as stock pads.
Stock pads extend far into the cup making some kind of trap for sound reflections.
The Misokido are rounded and exactly at the edge of the cup.
I assume that sound can't be the same.
There should be differences due to the absence of that edge.

Jul 3, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #4,767 of 8,758
Regarding the Misokido pads.
I haven't tried them yet but I can see from the photos that this aren't exactly the same as stock pads.
Stock pads extend far into the cup making some kind of trap for sound reflections.
The Misokido are rounded and exactly at the edge of the cup.
I assume that sound can't be the same.
There should be differences due to the absence of that edge.

The actual openings are the same diameter but the leather Misokido and Accessory House pads have less of a slope from the outer edge to the inner circumference,
so yes they do physically have a more cavernous space but not necessarily producing a more cavernous sound.
Hard to describe but IMHO these leather pads sound more correct in nature, the signature spaciousness remains but slightly less ethereal, more grounded, its subtle but there.

Having said that I do not believe these leather pads were designed "intentionally" as an improvement sound wise over the stock pads, that would require lots of research, time and a facility such as to what Sennheiser themselves have.
IMHO they are really just another alternative product for the consumer to spend money on and hopefully make some profit, the fact they are fairly well made and sound pretty good is really just a happy coincidence. : )

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #4,769 of 8,758
I fancy getting a set of these. Would a dap like a dx220 or Cayin n6ii have enough power for these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back