Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Oct 13, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #3,826 of 8,764
In the future, I will be steering clear of Amazon for high-end headphone purchases.
+1
I wanted to try the HE1000v2 so I ordered it BNIB from Amazon Prime (Fulfilled by Amazon) and they were used and pretty beat up.

I also recall someone on the thread ordering an 800S and receiving a plastic water bottle inside the case.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #3,827 of 8,764
+1
I wanted to try the HE1000v2 so I ordered it BNIB from Amazon Prime (Fulfilled by Amazon) and they were used and pretty beat up.

I also recall someone on the thread ordering an 800S and receiving a plastic water bottle inside the case.

Sounds about right. Now that I think about it, I think someone has probably scammed amazon with the z1rs that I ordered. Order MDRZ1R, send back MDR1A with a new barcode sticker on top of the old one.

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #3,828 of 8,764
You have never heard the HD 800 S at its best until you hear it on a DNA Stratus. It is unbelievable even with the stock tubes. For you folks that are scarred or just leary about tubes, DNA makes it easy. Very specific instructions for assembly so easy a monkey could do it. the only catch is you have to wait a year for your amp. We are talking hand assembled by two guys and tested and broken in before shipping.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #3,830 of 8,764
I may be as deaf as a duck, but people keeps saying Hd800s or 800s has too bright and uncomfortable trebles or treble spikes....I hear none of them, but just good trebles and smooth, except in bad records
Some folks prefer warm headphones with rolled off terble like the Audeze LCD series and the HD-650. If they hear something with accurate treble, from their viewpoint it's too bright. Your hearing is fine.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #3,831 of 8,764
Great idea & summary, thx.
Had a chance to audition those in a shop .. very positive impressions. I was quite unhappy about the price initially, especially when they were going 'surely' for $1799. At the current price and compared with the other new offerings (e.g. hfman who sells a 400i with oval cups for $1799), Sennheiser almost deserves praise .. you even get an extra $400 value (yeah sure) balanced cable :)

And if anyone was still wondering if they took care of that treble peak, the news are very good! I have a pretty serious highs sensitivity which makes my ears fool-proof radars for any treble peaks. After max 20min with the old hd800 I wanted to throw them out of the window because they did put needles in my head. Tested the new 800S for 2-3 hours and all good.
May post some extra impressions later.

Yup, I have same issue with my hd800’s, the treble is too strong to point where I’ve stopped using them, now looking for something more forgiving.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #3,832 of 8,764
Yup, I have same issue with my hd800’s, the treble is too strong to point where I’ve stopped using them, now looking for something more forgiving.

Out of curiosity; which DAC & amp are you driving them with?

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #3,834 of 8,764
For me HD800/S must be used w/ a tube amp.. 9 out of 10 SS amps the pairing is too thin/bright. HDV 820 not bad, V281 even better. Ragnarok or GSX mk2 and my ears are bleeding.. :wink:
I don't like the HD800s out of my V281. The treble seems hard etc. Much better out of my Pro-Ject head box rs: smoother altogether: not sure whether it is the tubes (hybrid design) or the ability to vary the impedance.

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #3,835 of 8,764
The source keeps being left out. THe dac is very important, the amp less so in my case as it steps out of the way and supplies bloom. The source is the single biggest upgrade factor in my case and the delivery with pin point accuracy is rich and deep, hd800S never been less fatiguing.

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #3,836 of 8,764
Can’t really be argued that tube amps can bring their normal characteristics, (basically various degrees of warmth) but I do agree that the source, (if DAC) makes a considerable difference.
Reckoning that most of us like some degree of ‘warmth’ it comes down to where you want to include it.
Even the’S’ of the HD800 does basically nothing as to the ‘warmth’ itself, (yes it sure cuts the 6000K peak) but the basic characteristics are not changed.
The HD800’s are reasonably neutral in my personal opinion, they thrive on being powered well as to bass & overall characteristics.
A solid state amp such as the Carvali Lau has quite valve (ish) character to it & a DAC such as the Metrum Parvane is delightfully warm yet retaining almost the upmost in definition & speed.
The HD800’s, are close to, ‘you get what you give them’. A bit of a microscope.

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #3,837 of 8,764
I don't like the HD800s out of my V281. The treble seems hard etc. Much better out of my Pro-Ject head box rs: smoother altogether: not sure whether it is the tubes (hybrid design) or the ability to vary the impedance.
I have the opposite experience with my 800S and V281. I love the synergy! Tight bass, clear mids and treble that feels just right. As most will recognize, with this combo, the better the quality of the recording, the better the sound! Very revealing chain.

Oct 22, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #3,839 of 8,764
Have you changed stock cable?
Copper cable may be your need.
I use silver plated cable and it is balance between stock cable (bright, distance treble) and copper cable(warmmer, focus mid and soft treble)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back