Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #2,566 of 8,764

I have recently took more listen of the S and surely it has metallic tinge on more of the modern recordings, and we can compare this other headphones whether this tone is consistent, and really it is not and for the S I can surely call it metallic tone. ..................

Not to get into an argument but I’m convinced given the nature of the internet we will now see quotes that the 800S have as a fact a “metallic tinge” which is not heard by the majority… lol

One has to be careful when describing vibrations created by a device to produce sound, the drivers of the headphones will not change in their characteristic, if the sound produced is perceived as metallic on some source material and not all then it must be the source that is producing the electrical signal that makes a sound that is alleged as metallic by the listener otherwise all recordings with said headphones should have this trait, similar to wearing rose colored glasses.

On the other hand we all hear slightly differently due to our subjective and objective approach to sound, music and equipment not to mention the biggest variable, which are our ears.

I personally could never describe the overall “native” characteristics of the 800S as ever having a metallic tinge, being bass deficient or creating peaky treble, mind you the 800s would have no problem passing on these characteristics if they existed farther up the chain or a result of the recording and would make them all abundantly clear.

I do listen to all genres of music and the 800s do IMHO produce consistent results regardless of what I’m listening too, therefore going from my years of experience in this audio hobby, recording and music the 800s reproduce IMHO recordings fairly faithfully as to what I would consider correct with a headphone, still a bad recording sounds bad a great recording sounds …great.

But that’s not to dismiss, for whatever reason, what others would experience with the same recording and equipment, negative or positive, as we all obviously hear what we hear, if you hear a metallic tinge you hear a metallic tinge.

And again not to argue but …if a broad-spectrum consensus from a multitude of listeners perceive similar results from a given recording and equipment I would say it’s safe to conclude and not assume that that is the overall characteristic, I’ve searched for similar findings but came up empty handed and would therefore say the 800S do not have a metallic tinge….but if it does for “you” it does?

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #2,567 of 8,764
"Modern music" how does anyone can expect this new bad mastered modern music to sound good on very revealing headphones?... Very revealing headphones punish you if you use bad quality bad mastered music or if you use bad components. Revealing headphones can punish very badly and reward greatly in certain conditions.

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #2,568 of 8,764
Modern over compressed badly mastered recordings with boosted treble and bass obviously present a problem when trying to reach audio nirvana, it's just not going to happen. Wouldn't say the 800 are over revealing, an incorrect term IMHO, they just allow you to hear what’s on the recording .... as the old adagio goes..."garbage in garbage out"...the 800s do have excellent transducers and produce IMHO a correct frequency spectrum and neither overdone nor lacking in the extremes and personally I would have it no other way. : )
On the other hand my Audeze LCD2.2 pre fazors which I found almost completely forgiving of bad recordings completely shelved anything above a certain threshold, cymbals literally disappeared…and a no no in my books. : (

Oct 1, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #2,569 of 8,764
Properly sonarworks custom calibrated 650s on my head right now just sound absolutely amazing via the PrimaLuna DiaLogue HP and are ultimately light and comfortable especially with the custom Norne Audio minimalist Skoll cable that just arrived in the mail today. Besides sounding simply amazing right out of the box they also take very kindly to the very light correction to flat, nothing metallic nothing loose and boomy here. Also like the fact since they are plastic they don't feel like something you have to handle carefully. Very glad I did not sell these when the 800s arrived :wink:

Oct 1, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #2,570 of 8,764
Properly sonarworks custom calibrated 650s on my head right now just sound absolutely amazing via the PrimaLuna DiaLogue HP and are ultimately light and comfortable especially with the custom Norne Audio minimalist Skoll cable that just arrived in the mail today. Besides sounding simply amazing right out of the box they also take very kindly to the very light correction to flat, nothing metallic nothing loose and boomy here. Also like the fact since they are plastic they don't feel like something you have to handle carefully. Very glad I did not sell these when the 800s arrived :wink:

Boo! You should have sold them. :ksc75smile: Nah, things have a way of working out. I'm glad that you're enjoying them.

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #2,571 of 8,764
Can hardly wait for camjam rmaf. Is the new grey focals gonna be 800S challenger.

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #2,572 of 8,764
Everyone has a tone/signature preference and you have made yours abundantly known through various posts. But other than that HD650 simply cannot compete with HD800S. Every single note on the 800S is more textured, articulated and nuanced.

Oct 2, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #2,573 of 8,764
Apologies if this has already been discussed in this thread, but does anybody know what Sennheiser did to bump up the bass in the HD800S? The only reported difference in build from the original HD800 I've seen reported is the superdupont-type mod included in the center of the cup, which wouldn't do much for the low end. Does anybody know how Sennheiser added that 2nd harmonic distortion?

Oct 2, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #2,574 of 8,764
Apologies if this has already been discussed in this thread, but does anybody know what Sennheiser did to bump up the bass in the HD800S? The only reported difference in build from the original HD800 I've seen reported is the superdupont-type mod included in the center of the cup, which wouldn't do much for the low end. Does anybody know how Sennheiser added that 2nd harmonic distortion?
https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response

Oct 2, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #2,575 of 8,764
absorber tech to help high end peak.
changed position of driver.
added harmonic distortion to low fr to bass bump.
added balanced cable
blk paint.

Oct 2, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #2,576 of 8,764
Thanks for the replies folks. Yes, the addition of those 2nd harmonic overtones is exactly what I was referring to. I'm just curious as to how Sennheiser achieved this. Innerfidelity mention that it's happened, but (unless I missed it) they don't say what was done to the HD800S to achieve it. Perhaps there's some magic in that blk paint? :wink:

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #2,577 of 8,764
Thanks for the replies folks. Yes, the addition of those 2nd harmonic overtones is exactly what I was referring to. I'm just curious as to how Sennheiser achieved this. Innerfidelity mention that it's happened, but (unless I missed it) they don't say what was done to the HD800S to achieve it. Perhaps there's some magic in that blk paint? :wink:

Yes the black paint is supposed to make it "dark". LOL.

Seriously now, the added euphonic distortion has surely been dialed in by tweaking the driver itself.

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #2,578 of 8,764
Any one use PEQ?
How is your set for HD800s? This place is not for 650 but I will post it too.
I usually dont use a not full parametric nor graph eqs. But MC23 mediacenter own a very good fully control PEQ which can flatten FR respond of a system.
System, I meant, include my EARS.
I do think each person has himself hearing loudness curve slightly different.
I just share my result tune peq for Hd800s and 650 on Hdvd800 amp.
And want to refer to you guys setting if you are using.
Audio path : MC23 (PC version) > usb cable > hdvd800 > Hd800s/650 > my ears.
Target : flattened output SPL.
Confirm : sweep sine wav.

Here is for 650 :
Gain / Freq / Q
-2/3000/3.0
-3/6000/1.0
+6/7000/4.0
+3/8000/4.0
(-2/10000/1.0)* this is optional for small change if feel hash but almost Off this filter.

Here is for 800s:
-2/5000/1.0
-6/7000/6.0
+8/8200/6.0
+8/9000/6.0
-6/1000/6.0
-6/12000/8.0
[Highshelf] +2/9000/1.5

Both hd to my ears, has peak and valey, so hi Q is need to use.

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #2,580 of 8,764
So how does your HD800S sound after those EQ settings are applied?

I'm a bit wary about using test tones to tune by ear. Those linear sweeps were meant for test equipment (microphone and analyzers), not for human hearing.

Completely love the result. Bcs it acts to certain narrow band (with quite high Q) so result in some track almost no change while other tracks which have instrument frequency in those peaks or valley, get a good result.
-no add or reduce any bass
-no change the high
-just cut piercing in female voice and treble and other instrument
-vocal is more native.

650 and 800s sound quite similar if I set peq for each but exclude bass (which I dont set any band), detail level and sound stage. Those things are impossible to be improved by using peq.
Bcs very good peq of MC23 I like to use laptop much more than AK120ii.
Not only bcs Peq (120ii is geq) but also other feature setting for hp experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back