Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 24, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #2,537 of 8,771
Perhaps he is meaning treble extension, but the lower treble area peak should have highest significance that are weighted the most. If you drop that region, it will have dark sig. You have dark, also bright and this should be in referral to treble quantity. Sparkle is in the greater region from the extension.

There is a difference between treble peak and extension. One is vertical, the other is horizontal.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #2,538 of 8,771
The debate was that the HD800S had more treble. If you match at 1kHz it has more of both (quantity and extension)

Sep 25, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #2,539 of 8,771
The debate was that the HD800S had more treble. If you match at 1kHz it has more of both (quantity and extension)

No it wasn’t. It was about treble extension. I even started correcting people as they were confusing treble extension with brightness.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #2,540 of 8,771
Your claim - HD650 has more treble than HD800S

So far everyone has disagreed, including producing graphs which prove it. The 2 Sonarworks graphs overlaid on each other (below). I'm not sure what you're not comprehending with this .... green is the HD800S. Lower treble is generally held at about 6-10 kHz. HD800S has more treble in this area. Upper treble is above 10 kHz - HD800S has far more treble in this area. If you're talking about that tiny little bit of blue at 18 kHz or so - good luck hearing that in actual music.

You're welcome to state what you think you hear. All I'm saying is that actual measurements don't agree with you.

Please, all this time I was talking about treble extension. Someone needs to learn to read.

Well, I can hear it at 18khz apparently (assuming that it is at 18khz)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #2,541 of 8,771
Just a simple reply without the condescension would be nice. As the graph clearly shows - the HD800S has more of both - if you match at 1 kHz which is the generally accepted method.

And you won't hear the 18 kHz action (because of the HD800S brightness before that) unless you listen to test tones specifically in that area. Thats not how your hearing works.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #2,542 of 8,771
Hi there,

I'm looking at two amplifiers to go with my HD800S, in particular:-

1. Schiit Mjolnir 2;
2. Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon V2.

Both are in secondary market (used) and say assuming not being able to audition / hear these amps, I wonder if there are any here who have had experience with these and may prefer one over the other and why please? Thanks!

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #2,543 of 8,771
Just a simple reply without the condescension would be nice. As the graph clearly shows - the HD800S has more of both - if you match at 1 kHz which is the generally accepted method.

And you won't hear the 18 kHz action (because of the HD800S brightness before that) unless you listen to test tones specifically in that area. Thats not how your hearing works.

Sorry, but you are no authority about what I can hear.

There are only 2 persons on this planet who knows what I can hear and that is me and an audiologist who measured my ears 2 years ago.

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #2,545 of 8,771

There are only 2 persons on this planet who knows what I can hear and that is me and an audiologist who measured my ears 2 years ago.

I promise I'm not being condescending here - just genuinely curious. Does your audiologist actually do full-spectrum audiograms? Standard practice over here in the US is test tones at 2, 4, 6 and 8 kHz. They only worry about what's needed for speech recognition.

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #2,546 of 8,771

Actually, there's an entire discipline known as "Psychoacoustics" They have scientists, engineers, studies, white papers, MRI's and everything. 18 K is pretty much the sound of a mosquito buzzing- our sensitivity to it is pretty low (unless you're trying to sleep). It pretty much gets masked by lower frequencies.

edit: on another note, you have some seriously fine headphone gear. I mean, wow, that's good stuff!!!!

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2,547 of 8,771
One thing with measurements though - shifting these headphones around on your head, even slightly, can cause differences in these peaks. (Look at the huge spread of data in the Innerfidelity measurements.) It's possible that ubs28 is getting a roll-off before 18 kHz. Also, what might be more annoying to some is the peak itself (regardless of what it rolls off to beyond that point). That might be why some would have a preference for the 650.

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2,548 of 8,771
Actually, there's an entire discipline known as "Psychoacoustics" They have scientists, engineers, studies, white papers, MRI's and everything. 18 K is pretty much the sound of a mosquito buzzing- our sensitivity to it is pretty low (unless you're trying to sleep). It pretty much gets masked by lower frequencies.

edit: on another note, you have some seriously fine headphone gear. I mean, wow, that's good stuff!!!!
That's right. Looking at that 800S graph, it rolls off at the point where pretty much majority us can't hear. Teens, yes. So that miniscule roll-off is irrelavent.

As pointed out earlier, it's too bad audiologist here(in the US) only do practical hearing sweep up to 8k.

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #2,549 of 8,771
To me subjectively the 800s is highs heavy and bass light in comparison to the 650. It doesn't sound natural to me as not only the highs are pronounced but they also have a sort of metallic ringing edge to them and the bass sounds somewhat distorted (not clean).

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #2,550 of 8,771
Well, the S lossened up the low-end to add some body or warmth. It's basically distortion, but you can get harmonic distortions from tubes as well with the non S version or add significant output impedance. Also, supposedly 6k peak is suppressed, but I agree with what you say.

It's fast and probably gets like electrostats in response speed and tonality. Perhaps that's what they were trying to achieve with the 800, but it came at a price.

Anybody heard the Ether flows? They are neutral, but not as peaky treble with warmth that the 800 lacks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back