Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #2,597 of 8,787
I agree, Peter. They are an amazing experience, however, coming from something like the Meze 99 Neo's, the bass is anything but bloomy! They still sound like a high-quality "sealed" sub to me.

I agree, compared to most other headphones the bass is fine I'm jus saying that there's other options with a tighter bass. Like I said, I do prefer the presentation on the HD800S most of the time.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #2,598 of 8,787
Agreed. Anyone describing the bass on these as bloomy, must only listen to Grado. Honestly, if they had a few more decibels of sub bass and mid bass, I’d be fine with that. Most people would say they have quality bass but it is a tad shy of neutral, especially by modern standards.

Or maybe it's the other way around: anyone claiming that the HD800S have the tightest out of all available headphones haven't listen to enough alternatives :wink:

Have you compared the HE560 and HD800S over a longer period of time (like for at least a week or two in your own system)?

And yeah, my first real headphones was also a pair of Grado that I still enjoy. I've been through quite a few since then though....

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #2,601 of 8,787
I have to say, we're a much more civilized thread than the Utopias. That thread is one giant flame war about how poor the Focal warranty is, how often the Be drivers go bad and how much it costs to repair those drivers out of warranty.

Here, we're just enjoining the music :)

That’s because the 800S is simply better than the Utopia. And for less than 1/2 the cost. That would make me upset, too.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #2,602 of 8,787
That’s because the 800S is simply better than the Utopia. And for less than 1/2 the cost. That would make me upset, too.
:frowning2: and I have just started saving for utopia.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #2,603 of 8,787
At this level of rare air, it seems to be preference rules. I’m covered with my two cans. Will wait for new flagships from senn one year and audeze then again they have to be preferable than what I have, which seems to be tough.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #2,604 of 8,787

I’d demo a pair first. I was underwhelmed. The soundstage is mediocre and the highs bothered me much more than an unmodified 800. There’s a lot of talk about uber expensive headphones being so much better than their competition, but I’m telling you the truth when I say NOTHING out there blows the 800 or 800S out of the water. Everyone has preferences, but the comfort and sound quality of the 800’s are simply top notch compared to anything.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,605 of 8,787
The sound that you hear, "the squeakiness" when you move the utopia around tells a lot about the build quality...

I have experienced the A/B testing on the HD800S and Utopia's. And TBH. HD800S wins it hands down to me, thanks to the very lacking soundstage of the utopias. Imaging is _slightly_ better on the utopias, but it is very very limited in depth...

Personally, i would not bother.

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #2,606 of 8,787
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #2,607 of 8,787
I’d demo a pair first. I was underwhelmed. The soundstage is mediocre and the highs bothered me much more than an unmodified 800. There’s a lot of talk about uber expensive headphones being so much better than their competition, but I’m telling you the truth when I say NOTHING out there blows the 800 or 800S out of the water. Everyone has preferences, but the comfort and sound quality of the 800’s are simply top notch compared to anything.

+1.
I was underimpressed with the Utopia too...
I bought a used Utopia and tried it out for 3 weeks using lots of different sources, dacs, amps, music, etc. I really honestly wanted to love these headphones, and use them as a reference, endgame headphone, considering their price, and all the RAVE reviews on them, but...I sold them.
To me they were too forward, tense, and the soundstage width made them sound like a closed headphone...closed in sounding.
They did have a certain brightness too, that could become very nasty, and a certain very slight metallic coloration.
The bass wasn't impressive either.
Don't get me wrong, they weren't bad by any stretch, and impressive in some areas, but simply too overrated for their ridiculous high price.
I kept and still have my modded HE-6 and HD800 SDR, a borrowed HD800 S, and prefer them all over the Utopia.
I had my wife also compare the HD800 series with the Utopia, and on most music she liked the Sennheisers better as well.
She said the Utopia sounded excellent, but was alittle too "in my face", "jittery" and sounded "too narrow" compared to the Sennheisers. Lol.
She also said the Senns were alot more comfortable.
In the end, I still think the Senns are among the best headphones on the market, regardless of price, and very comfortable.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #2,608 of 8,787
+1.
I was underimpressed with the Utopia too...
I bought a used Utopia and tried it out for 3 weeks using lots if sources, amps, music, etc. I wanted to love these headphones, but sold them.
To me they were too forward, tense, and the soundstage width made them sound like a closed headphone...closed in sounding.
They did have a certain brightness too, that could become very nasty, and a certain very slight metallic coloration.
The bass wasn't impressive either.
I kept and still have my modded HE-6 and HD800 SDR, a borrowed HD800 S, and prefer them all over the Utopia.
I had my wife also compare the HD800 series with the Utopia, and on most music she liked the Sennheisers better as well.
She said the Utopia sounded excellent, but was alittle too "in my face", "jittery" and sounded "too narrow" compared to the Sennheisers. Lol.
She also said the Senns were alot more comfortable.
In the end, I still think the Senns are among the best headphones on the market, regardless of price, and very comfortable.

Well said! Have you heard about Dekoni releasing new earpads for the 800 in a few weeks? They’ve got several choices from perforated leather to a hybrid. According to some who got to demo the at RMAF, they also alter the sound in a good way. They’ve said that the hybrid pads add a little more bass and reduce the 6K treble peak by a few decibels. I can’t wait to try them!

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #2,609 of 8,787
Well said! Have you heard about Dekoni releasing new earpads for the 800 in a few weeks? They’ve got several choices from perforated leather to a hybrid. According to some who got to demo the at RMAF, they also alter the sound in a good way. They’ve said that the hybrid pads add a little more bass and reduce the 6K treble peak by a few decibels. I can’t wait to try them!

Hey endgame, no haven't heard of them, but thanks for the valuable info.
I think I will try them too :)

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2,610 of 8,787
I think more people are beginning to realize that the Utopia is somewhat over rated, and does indeed have some flaws, regardless of the "flawless" reviews they have received, and is over priced, considering how many have going up for sale lately, as well as the fact that the price on used ones has went way down the last few months, plus the warranty worries on used units, and the very high cost of replacement drivers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back