Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 19, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #1,592 of 8,697
I like music and good sound quality but I'm not an audiophile. At least not as one that would match the definition as derived from the behaviour of many members of the audio forums. I understand that is a hobby and so it is fueled by pasion but everything has a meaning in our world and if you try to keep an open minded attitude and use a decent level of common sense in your reasoning I am convinced that these forums will be a better place and the outcome will prove more helpful for the participants.
On the other hand, despite i the fact that my income is relatively high, I could not afford to be one.
My biggest problem is that where I live is not easy and definitely not cheap to listen to any kind of equipment. Is not impossible but need traveling, accomodation .... So the only chance to evaluate a possible aquisiton is the research. Unfortunately most of the information sources are not reliable. "Profesional" reviews looks at the first sight ok. After some time anyhow I realized that something is not entirely OK, almost all reviewed equipment is either magic, magnific, mesmerizing...... The worst characterization that I could think of is "best for its price range". Most of the time this term is abused as there is no price reference scale to which the comparison or categorization could refer.
Not so long ago HD650 was "TOTL". Then Sennheiser released HD800 at a price level that made everybody's eyes as big as chicken eggs. It was I think a kind of statement of Sennheiser as to what could be a good engineered HP be and I doubt that they were guessing what will follow. Soon the price race started: 2k, 2.5k, 3k, 4k... Some makers start already at the high levels, others started as audiophile populist supporters with affordable offers and soon, as popularity rise, enrolled to the race. Last years we saw "reference" level HP starting above 1k with starling reviews and in less than 2 years releasing rev1.1, edition xxxx etc that were fixing issues on the previously "reference" edition. Off course not for free or at same price level. Such "evolution" came at a price usually in increments of 300-500 usd/step. The 1k HP are already budget offers. What bother me is that everybody is embracing this unsane and shameless behavior. In the mean time HD650 is still selling and selling well. The recent Masdrop offer of HD6xx of 5000 pcs was sold out in ~2hours and this took so long because the servers were incapable to handle the sudden transaction flood otherwise everything was finished in less than 30 min. I actually must be grateful for the servers failure as I was unable to access The site at the announced starting time and when, 2 hours later, I accessed the site I was lucky enough to successfully order a pair. HD800 was still selling well and now the HD800S was released. It is true at higher price but with a balanced cable included that somehow made the price difference a bit more reasonable.
What was happening is that all time that others engaged in this crazy price race releasing all kind of "marvels" of the HP world Senn continued to sell what were and still are high quality HP of a proven high quality level staying somehow away from the race. It is true that many "professional" reviewers and forum opinion leaders start to put them in bad light due to ..... (You can fill the dots as you want) when compared with the new stars and I was almost fouled also about this. But then some common sense use saved me. I realized that, even after so long time, they feel the need to use them as reference for comparisons. Why? I mean they are veiled or overly bright or dry or analitical oh! and there is a the famous hf peak or..... I understand that these cans are not perfect but there are so many "reference" level stars now on the market why with "revolutionary" tech and stars and .... Why not use these? Ah maybe because in several months of few some fixing will appear to adjust the reference level.
Oh and I did mention that Senn's HDxxx are still selling? And selling good. I mean how many HP makers have a model that could sell 5000 pcs in 2hours?
I know my post became too long. I've started just to say that after long research I've purchased an HD800s. I am confident that all that long life on the market is backed by something really strong that is user satisfaction, reliability, good engineering and that will bring good sound. I must say that I was not wrong. These cans are amazing. In the mean time I have also payed for th HD6xx from Massdrop 214.99usd including delivery to South Korea!!!
It is is true that they do not contain any air "flow" enhancer but who need air draft in their ears :wink:

Nov 19, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #1,593 of 8,697
I like music and good sound quality but I'm not an audiophile. .............I am confident that all that long life on the market is backed by something really strong that is user satisfaction, reliability, good engineering and that will bring good sound........

I’d say I’m somewhat of an audiophile…otherwise I’m lying to myself….but... it just occurred to me that all my current headphones are all Sennheisers …at one time I was a big on AKG, then Grado …recently gone are the Audeze…here I’m left here with the HD800S (critical listening), IE800s (when on  the go), HD650s (so far everything), pair of Urbanites (cause their cool, very durable & sound pretty descent) and a set of HD6XX  on the way…..can’t say I’m a fan boy.... it just worked out that way…..just happened to clear out any phones that I felt lacked any staying power with regards to an honest well balanced sound.
That could all change….but for now…
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #1,594 of 8,697
Worth repeating. My best friend has severe tinnitus, and will likely never listen to headphones again. I'm glad I did pay attention to this years ago when I played in loud bands!!!

Yeah, you usually learn this lesson the hard way. When it's too late.

I have mild tinnitus, if i pay attention to it i hear it. Now i bring pair of earplugs whenever i go to a concert or club etc. "loud place".

But at this hobby you sometimes forget it when the music sucks you in, and crank up the music bit too loud
redface.gif
 .... and when you realize what you are doing you kick yourself....

But indeed, you don't want to end this hobby later down the road because of your own stupidity

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,595 of 8,697
  Yeah, you usually learn this lesson the hard way. When it's too late.

I have mild tinnitus, if i pay attention to it i hear it. Now i bring pair of earplugs whenever i go to a concert or club etc. "loud place".

But at this hobby you sometimes forget it when the music sucks you in, and crank up the music bit too loud
redface.gif
 .... and when you realize what you are doing you kick yourself....

But indeed, you don't want to end this hobby later down the road because of your own stupidity

+1 many times over!

Nov 19, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #1,596 of 8,697
Lucser,

Very well said in your post.  I think you're wise.

Nov 19, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #1,597 of 8,697
Thanks Greggf,
The post was intended to be much shorter but English is not my first language. I am sure that same and even more could be said in a more concise way. The intention was to explain how and why I choose HD800S.
The secondary purpose was to express my partial disappointment on what the audio forums could be but many times fail. Instead of being a place where different opinions/experiences/preferences .... should be shared among the fellows hobbists it often became a place where power egos seek confirmation, "opinion leaders" + a gang os followers establish "universal truths" that MUST be agreed, and so on. What is most amazing is that most of the time the arguments are so childish and disregard even the basic definition of terms used in argumentation. It leads to really funny/sad situations as: - "experienced audiophiles" trashing audio pros or engineers opinions. Is like the beloved equipment in disscusion or the music recordings are the result of an random process of mixing parts or sounds;
- "objectivists " vs "subjectivists" or oposite. This one is hilarious as Despite the fact that most of the participants in the " battle" seems to have no idea of what the definition of objective/subjective, they fail to recognise that there is no human being on Earth that could be only part of either category. We are all a mix of subjectivism and objectivism in all our existance. The subjectivism is the norm but it must be tamed with an important part of objectivism especially in our interactions with our peers. This is not easy because since the subjectivism is somehow instinctual or better said unconscious the objectivism take efort (education, knowledge, logic, selfawarness ....) to be used.
- misinterpretation of freedom of expression as free way for rudeness, offending, patronizing etc.
- etc.
I think all these made a lot of people, that could otherwise bring a lot of valuable information, to stay away or to refrain posting their opinion or experiences. It is a big loss to the community.
Let's not forget that is a hobby and as such is intended to be enjoyable!

Thanks again and happy listening to your gear & music.
P.S. Sorry for the eventual awkward English phrasing or expressions.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,598 of 8,697
well after a few days away, I'm amazed at hd800S through gsx mk2 and chord hugo TT, course I'm no audiophile, but i like what i am hearing. Keep the good times rolling folks, keep trying, keep testing, keep posting

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #1,599 of 8,697
  well after a few days away, I'm amazed at hd800S through gsx mk2 and chord hugo TT, course I'm no audiophile, but i like what i am hearing. Keep the good times rolling folks, keep trying, keep testing, keep posting

Looking at your equipment you could start naming yourself a audiophile. I believe you could. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #1,600 of 8,697

Looking at your equipment you could start naming yourself a audiophile. I believe you could. 

To me and maybe I'm off base here, an audiophile knows different equipment, so from a reading and research perspective I may qualify from an entry perspective. But i know jack,  just what i have, and sure i like it. Take it for what that is worth. Head fi has been a great starting source for lots of folks, I think for you too, as well as myself.
beerchug.gif

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #1,601 of 8,697
[Mod: OT question from the Utopia thread moved to here]

Quote:

While I still find my HD800S very involving, the Utopias are a class above in dynamics, transparency and tonality. Among the very best 3 or 4 headphones I've heard (with the SR-009, LCD-4 and HE-1000 V2...and depending on my mood, the SR-007Mk1). The HD800S are just below this "top tier" to my ears.

Is HD800 a true upgrade to HD800 or one is better off with HD800 and a warm tube amp? I've heard that HD800S sound stage is smaller compared to that of HD800

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #1,602 of 8,697
  Is HD800 a true upgrade to HD800 or one is better off with HD800 and a warm tube amp? I've heard that HD800S sound stage is smaller compared to that of HD800

I really think the HD800S is a true upgrade. While the initial addition of the Helmholtz resonator may seem like a tweak, after a few weeks I realized just how much the 6kHz bump had me avoiding the original HD800 headphones with many of my recordings. So much so, that 40% of my music library was saved for other headphones. So this relatively small upgrade was quite profound for me as the HD800S has no such limitations with musical genres. With regards to sound staging, I would definitely say they are pretty much the same...but the transparency goes to the HD800S simply because that 6kHz resonance isn't there in the source material. 
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #1,603 of 8,697
Hah. Second time I have owned the HD800 now, but this time I have the HD800S variant.

Back with the original HD800 I never understood why everyone would call them too bright, or even sharp; and even now, I still don't understand.

I've always driven my HD800's solid-state (I really hate tubes because I really hate anything which is not maintenance-free for years).

If anything I actually feel that I would prefer them even brighter still.

Anyone who wants to hear bright should listen to the ELAC speakers with their JET ribbon tweeters.

I used to own the FS249, and that, is REALLY bright. Loved it a lot because it really made percussion instruments shine.

Now driving the HD800S from the Grace Design M920. Happy so far!~

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #1,604 of 8,697
Hah. Second time I have owned the HD800 now, but this time I have the HD800S variant.

Back with the original HD800 I never understood why everyone would call them too bright, or even sharp; and even now, I still don't understand.

I've always driven my HD800's solid-state (I really hate tubes because I really hate anything which is not maintenance-free for years).

If anything I actually feel that I would prefer them even brighter still.

Anyone who wants to hear bright should listen to the ELAC speakers with their JET ribbon tweeters.

I used to own the FS249, and that, is REALLY bright. Loved it a lot because it really made percussion instruments shine.

Now driving the HD800S from the Grace Design M920. Happy so far!~

We call them too bright namely for that 6kHz spike and ringing...that isn't there in the recording. Some HRTF's may not be very sensitive to it as much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back