Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 3, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #1,621 of 8,689
Originally Posted by Sybil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha no sorry; Sybil = Shy Sybil :p

Buuutt... can show you my matching nails which are exact same colour as my headphones I just did
biggrin.gif

wBTJo5V.jpg

Sigh such veiny feet... need to stop running so much -_-"...

Have you considered a fancy "after market" cable?

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #1,625 of 8,689
Well, least you need not concern yourself with feet that are not pretty enough, and at least you know you have good sound. :wink:

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #1,626 of 8,689
Not to jump on the "I'm not an audiophile" bandwagon that seems to be going on in this thread... but I'm not. I spent a lot of time on the forums a decade ago reading about the FotM headpone, peoples opinions on the latest and greatest, and trying to be "analytical" when listening to music, blah blah blah, but I had a lot more time on my hands than I did money at the time. When I got a pair of AKG K-701s, they were the most expensive piece of gear in my setup, and I thought they were the bees knees. Then I got my license, got a fun car, started college, turned 21, and headphones were ancient history. Fast forward to 2014 and I meet some speaker guys who get me curious and I end up with a DS Gungnir and love every minute of it. Then this year I gave into the devil on my shoulder who kept poking me with a stick saying "what if the newer headphones sound way better?" and bought a pair of HE-560s... Then a Ragnarok... Then a Yggy... Then it was black friday and I thought "I wonder if there are any headphone deals?". I always dreamed of owning a TotL Sennheiser headphone, and when I found a good deal on a pair of b-stock HD800s, I almost immediately pulled the trigger... But oh wait, hey, Hifiman has a sale too! I wonder what a HEX sounds like?! A few beers later, I decided the cost of an open box HD800S was totally justified, and the deed was done.

Since I had done exponentially less "research" than I would have in my teenage years, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I listen to mostly rock/metal, genres that were never very fondly associated with Sennheisers... And after reading numerous reviews saying something along the line of how my HE-560s were "near top of the line at a fraction of the price", I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about my latest purchase. I was a bit disappointed at first, as always have been with new headphones, but I grew to like them quicker than I ever have a new headphone. It wasn't long before I was picking out things I had never heard before. Tonight I plugged my HE-560s back in and A/B'd a few songs. I had been missing how aggressive and in-your-face I had remembered the HE-560s sounding (in comparison), and I wasn't wrong. But detail and soundstage? WOW. The HE-560s are no slouch, but they sound like every instrument is piled on top each other when compared to the HD800S. Very impressive. Oh, and I've noticed I can enjoy the HD800S at a considerably lower volume than the HE-560. Definitely a good thing.

Only negatives I have to say about the HD800S is that they aren't very comfortable compared to, well, everything else I've ever owned (Grados with HD414 pads, DT770, K701, HE-560). I've tightened up the headband a bit so that my earlobes are almost touching the bottom of the pad, and at least they don't fall off as fast if I tilt my head back, but they still feel odd... And I'm now even more curious about what a HEX sounds like... The sickness never ends does it?

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #1,628 of 8,689
Not to jump on the "I'm not an audiophile" bandwagon that seems to be going on in this thread... but I'm not. I spent a lot of time on the forums a decade ago reading about the FotM headpone, peoples opinions on the latest and greatest, and trying to be "analytical" when listening to music, blah blah blah, but I had a lot more time on my hands than I did money at the time. When I got a pair of AKG K-701s, they were the most expensive piece of gear in my setup, and I thought they were the bees knees. Then I got my license, got a fun car, started college, turned 21, and headphones were ancient history. Fast forward to 2014 and I meet some speaker guys who get me curious and I end up with a DS Gungnir and love every minute of it. Then this year I gave into the devil on my shoulder who kept poking me with a stick saying "what if the newer headphones sound way better?" and bought a pair of HE-560s... Then a Ragnarok... Then a Yggy... Then it was black friday and I thought "I wonder if there are any headphone deals?". I always dreamed of owning a TotL Sennheiser headphone, and when I found a good deal on a pair of b-stock HD800s, I almost immediately pulled the trigger... But oh wait, hey, Hifiman has a sale too! I wonder what a HEX sounds like?! A few beers later, I decided the cost of an open box HD800S was totally justified, and the deed was done.

Since I had done exponentially less "research" than I would have in my teenage years, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I listen to mostly rock/metal, genres that were never very fondly associated with Sennheisers... And after reading numerous reviews saying something along the line of how my HE-560s were "near top of the line at a fraction of the price", I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about my latest purchase. I was a bit disappointed at first, as always have been with new headphones, but I grew to like them quicker than I ever have a new headphone. It wasn't long before I was picking out things I had never heard before. Tonight I plugged my HE-560s back in and A/B'd a few songs. I had been missing how aggressive and in-your-face I had remembered the HE-560s sounding (in comparison), and I wasn't wrong. But detail and soundstage? WOW. The HE-560s are no slouch, but they sound like every instrument is piled on top each other when compared to the HD800S. Very impressive. Oh, and I've noticed I can enjoy the HD800S at a considerably lower volume than the HE-560. Definitely a good thing.

Only negatives I have to say about the HD800S is that they aren't very comfortable compared to, well, everything else I've ever owned (Grados with HD414 pads, DT770, K701, HE-560). I've tightened up the headband a bit so that my earlobes are almost touching the bottom of the pad, and at least they don't fall off as fast if I tilt my head back, but they still feel odd... And I'm now even more curious about what a HEX sounds like... The sickness never ends does it?

The HEX is more like a HD 650 on steriods according to my ears. But it was a while ago when I heard them.

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #1,629 of 8,689
Received my HD800S today morning.

Initial listen impressions: (Out of the box listen)
Like everyone said, the treble is tamed. Now it is easier to listen. 
Slightly sibilant (Typical for 800s, on poor recordings) 
Bass has more weight than the 800. 
Same wide soundstage (many said it is lesser, I dont feel so)
Same neutral nice mids

I have yet to burnin them but I already have a feeling that these will be my end game headphones :)
And oh yeah, In full black, love it. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #1,630 of 8,689
Received my HD800S today morning.

Initial listen impressions: (Out of the box listen)
Like everyone said, the treble is tamed. Now it is easier to listen. 
Slightly sibilant (Typical for 800s, on poor recordings) 
Bass has more weight than the 800. 
Same wide soundstage (many said it is lesser, I dont feel so)
Same neutral nice mids

I have yet to burnin them but I already have a feeling that these will be my end game headphones :)
And oh yeah, In full black, love it. 
Welcome to the family! You gonna like it more and more each day:). I dont know if i gonna need any other headphones:) Maybe something like Abyss or Th900 whould be nice to have also.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #1,631 of 8,689
Welcome to the family! You gonna like it more and more each day:). I dont know if i gonna need any other headphones:) Maybe something like Abyss or Th900 whould be nice to have also.

Thank you. Was already a part of it with the 800s :wink:
Maybe TH900 would make more sense. A closed can, with a different sound signature. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,635 of 8,689
Guys. I'm scared.

The 800S is all that's left in my climb up Mt Sennheiser.

I liked the 800 okay but found it too sterile and unengaging.

My 700s are kinda perfect.

I worry that the 800S is where I should be, but I cannot justify the funds as yet.

Help me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back