Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 7, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #1,561 of 8,689
You have no idea what you will miss. Tubes are amazing. Apart from the choices. I like to have a dac and amp of the same brand. Else my OCD-kicks in. 

I do advise the Schiit Mjolnir 2 and the Schiit Gungnir (if you can afford it the multibit-variant, else the regular one does suffice) 

The good thing about tubes is that you can customize the sound signature to your liking by rolling different tubes to your hearts content so I second that option.

Now to update on my experience I did receive my Schiit Valhalla 2 / Bifrost Multi-bit with PYST RCA and USB cables so here are my initial impressions:

Compared to my SupremeFX Hi-Fi DAC there is an improvement but it is subtle, the Soundstage seems wider but that's about it really. Am I doing something wrong?

It might be that my setup is not properly connected so I would like your input guys please correct me if I'm doing something wrong:

I connected the HD800S to Valhalla 2 6.35 mm input > connected RCA cables (Red color in R and black color in L) in Valhalla 2 RCA output to Bifrost RCA input > set valhalla gain to Hi > connected the PYST USB 2.0 cables from my Bifrost USB port to my PC USB 2.0 port (does it make a difference if I plugged the USB at my PC's USB 3.0 port?) > Windows 10 downloaded drivers automatically (called Schiit USB Gen 2).

I tried listening to some classical music but I didn't get the famous instrument separation and clarity I keep reading about they sounded like any other headphones I tried (with the exception of wider soundstage) and then I tried to listen to my one of my favourite tracks "bastille - of the night" and it was harsh and vocal had stiffness (i.e. Rhythmsssssss instead of smooth rhythms).

So there is definitely something wrong with my setup (either the connection or I didn't secure the tubes correctly) or I was just putting high expectations out my amp/dac combo.

I'll post again after letting the amp/dac to break-in and update my impressions.

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #1,562 of 8,689

Well I mean... I might get curious in the future and give tubes a listen, but right now I don't want to get into a whole new €€ sinking audio hobby
biggrin.gif

Mjolnir 2 and Gungnir sure looks like a nice stack, but how does a Mjolnir 2 compares to HDVA 600 ? And is Ragnarok really better than both ? Can't find Schiit products locally so...

Also, what do you think about Auralic Taurus Mk2 ?

At first I really wanted to get the HDVA 600 so Im looking for objectives reasons to get let's say Mjolnir 2. If only we had news of the new HDVD 820, I read that it will be fully optimized for the HD800 S.

http://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/?___store=schiiteng&___from_store=default  : For if you live in europe. official distrib for europe. 

Well it is all about balancing of the setup. No point of buying a expensive amp, without a good dac. Even cables do count. Audio is a sinking money-hobby. But you did ever imagine a day without music in this world? It would turn this world into chaos. Music is worth some money :D

Mjolnir 2 wins of the HDVA 600. It is also more versatile being capable of running SS or Tubes. The ragarok is better than the mjolnir 2. The question only rises, it is worth the extra money. If you ask me, not really. I would use that price difference to buy a good dac. 

With the Taurus Mk2 I have no experience, can't judge on that one. 

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #1,563 of 8,689
The good thing about tubes is that you can customize the sound signature to your liking by rolling different tubes to your hearts content so I second that option.

Now to update on my experience I did receive my Schiit Valhalla 2 / Bifrost Multi-bit with PYST RCA and USB cables so here are my initial impressions:

Compared to my SupremeFX Hi-Fi DAC there is an improvement but it is subtle, the Soundstage seems wider but that's about it really. Am I doing something wrong?

It might be that my setup is not properly connected so I would like your input guys please correct me if I'm doing something wrong:

I connected the HD800S to Valhalla 2 6.35 mm input > connected RCA cables (Red color in R and black color in L) in Valhalla 2 RCA output to Bifrost RCA input > set valhalla gain to Hi > connected the PYST USB 2.0 cables from my Bifrost USB port to my PC USB 2.0 port (does it make a difference if I plugged the USB at my PC's USB 3.0 port?) > Windows 10 downloaded drivers automatically (called Schiit USB Gen 2).

I tried listening to some classical music but I didn't get the famous instrument separation and clarity I keep reading about they sounded like any other headphones I tried (with the exception of wider soundstage) and then I tried to listen to my one of my favourite tracks "bastille - of the night" and it was harsh and vocal had stiffness (i.e. Rhythmsssssss instead of smooth rhythms).

So there is definitely something wrong with my setup (either the connection or I didn't secure the tubes correctly) or I was just putting high expectations out my amp/dac combo.

I'll post again after letting the amp/dac to break-in and update my impressions.

You did connect is correctly. The automatic drivers are fine. USB2.0 is better than USB3.0 (USB 3.0) has some latency/timing issues. Although not all USB3.0 ports have issues. It depends a lot on the drivers / brand of the chip. Yet it is advisable to connect it to USB2.0 if you have one. 

I think your AMP/DAC needs to break in. Leave your DAC 24/7 on. Amp you must turn-off when not using (saves your tubes). The stock tubes of Schiit sound harsch/dull in the beginning. It takes roughly 80/100 hours to let them bloom. Give it some time. You could let it play some music over the night to speed up the break-in process :D

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #1,564 of 8,689
@Thenazgul Thanks for your input man I appreciate it, sorry if I sound like a noob but can you break-in the Amp/DAC without attaching a headphone to it? (you know like switching them on only)

Also my HD800S is fairly new as well so how does the break-in process goes, can I attached it to the amp > play a music on repeat > but put the headphone on mute? The reason i'm asking is cause the HD800S "leaks" loud music and it's depriving me from my sleep lol

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #1,565 of 8,689
Tubes are something else, but even if I'm resistant to the concept of mechanical break in, the president of graddo suggests not playing 24/7 but listen as you would, just expect some improvement ( un specified) after 50 hours. Personally I think it's the set up a dac sounds great right out of the box. Sounds like r2r noise...

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,566 of 8,689
@Thenazgul Thanks for your input man I appreciate it, sorry if I sound like a noob but can you break-in the Amp/DAC without attaching a headphone to it? (you know like switching them on only)

Also my HD800S is fairly new as well so how does the break-in process goes, can I attached it to the amp > play a music on repeat > but put the headphone on mute? The reason i'm asking is cause the HD800S "leaks" loud music and it's depriving me from my sleep lol

No need to apologize. I don't know everything either. We are all here to learn. I think you need to have the headphone connected. Just play it on low-volume for a couple of hours. The stock Schiit tubes did sound horrible in the beginning for me as well. After about 80 hours they started to sound better. Although I was still not satisfied with the sound so decided to change the stock tubes for some Telefunkens. Although it is known that the stock tubes of the valhalla are better than the stock ones of the lyr-2. I did leave it playing during the day even. 

Nov 10, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,568 of 8,689
  http://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/?___store=schiiteng&___from_store=default  : For if you live in europe. official distrib for europe. 

Well it is all about balancing of the setup. No point of buying a expensive amp, without a good dac. Even cables do count. Audio is a sinking money-hobby. But you did ever imagine a day without music in this world? It would turn this world into chaos. Music is worth some money :D

Mjolnir 2 wins of the HDVA 600. It is also more versatile being capable of running SS or Tubes. The ragarok is better than the mjolnir 2. The question only rises, it is worth the extra money. If you ask me, not really. I would use that price difference to buy a good dac. 

With the Taurus Mk2 I have no experience, can't judge on that one. 

Totally agree with you :)

I've also been looking into the Eddie Current Black Widow and wonder how this amp fair against HDVA 600 and Mjolnir 2.

I find myself very tempted by the Mjolnir 2, (yes even over my fist choice, HDVA 600) but well I have to factor in the cost of good tubes and I don't know anything about this stuff (yet!)
Besides easy switching between SS and tubes, what advantages do the Mjolnir 2 have over the HDVA 600 ? Is it really a good pairing with HD800 S ? I've read that they can be bright sounding, but even with a hella amount of reading I've never owned any high-end amp. Just wondering if its a matter of personal taste at this price point or if there is a real definition/resolution advantage.

Right now running HD800 S directly out of Chord Mojo, I wish that bass was more tight, with more slam (I do really love the Sennheiser sound signature and the Senn cans) and I think it sound a little thin. I do really hope that if I upgrade I will see surprisingly good improvement
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #1,569 of 8,689

Totally agree with you :)

I've also been looking into the Eddie Current Black Widow and wonder how this amp fair against HDVA 600 and Mjolnir 2.

I find myself very tempted by the Mjolnir 2, (yes even over my fist choice, HDVA 600) but well I have to factor in the cost of good tubes and I don't know anything about this stuff (yet!)
Besides easy switching between SS and tubes, what advantages do the Mjolnir 2 have over the HDVA 600 ? Is it really a good pairing with HD800 S ? I've read that they can be bright sounding, but even with a hella amount of reading I've never owned any high-end amp. Just wondering if its a matter of personal taste at this price point or if there is a real definition/resolution advantage.

Right now running HD800 S directly out of Chord Mojo, I wish that bass was more tight, with more slam (I do really love the Sennheiser sound signature and the Senn cans) and I think it sound a little thin. I do really hope that if I upgrade I will see surprisingly good improvement
biggrin.gif

I have no experience with the Eddie Current Black Widow (although it is a SS-amp). I would stay away from that with that type of headphone. Some headphones (electrostatic ones like the Stax SR-009) and some IEM's pair very well with Solid-State Amps. With the HD800S you probably will not like the sound of Solid State. It is clinical clean, bright, harsch and lacks sound extension, misses a roll-off and warmth.  All those points will bring Tubes. Tubes are like a soul (each pair sounds different). Also SS can be run 24/7 while tubes have a experation-date. Tubes doesn't need to be expensive. There are amperax-tubes on the market for about 30/40 dollars which already sound better than the stock ones. Although tubes could go up in price to about a grand. 

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #1,570 of 8,689
Disagree with the generalization of ss amps, have nothing to say about tubes ( I don't know them) however while I'll agree that hd800S may not play all genres equally well, the transparency of a wire and gain amp like GSX mk2, is not bright and harsh. Sensitivity and preferences aside, if you are looking for a full bodied excellent portrayal of the source, look no further. While I understand folks may look for a warm coloured signiture, your right, GSX mk2 is not that, hd800S can handle the truth of music very well. It's also like the myth(don't mean to be harsh) of type 6 silver litz ( prion 4) may not be right for hd800S as who would want that brightness, hogwash, making your music more enjoyable and true is not a bad thing. Hd800S can handle it.
Just for the record. I'm tempted to try lcd4 one year, as this system of transparent TT and GSX may benefit it, I wouldn't pigeon hole LCD either... I mean my other pair of recessed la900 has been said to pair well with zana deux, that would be warm on warm except for la900 top high frequency.
Nutshell great pairings are great depending on your tastes don't rush to make conclusions. :L3000:

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #1,571 of 8,689
Ps the mojo may not be the right dac amp for hd800S, simple.

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #1,573 of 8,689
  I have no experience with the Eddie Current Black Widow (although it is a SS-amp). I would stay away from that with that type of headphone. Some headphones (electrostatic ones like the Stax SR-009) and some IEM's pair very well with Solid-State Amps. With the HD800S you probably will not like the sound of Solid State. It is clinical clean, bright, harsch and lacks sound extension, misses a roll-off and warmth.  All those points will bring Tubes. Tubes are like a soul (each pair sounds different). Also SS can be run 24/7 while tubes have a experation-date. Tubes doesn't need to be expensive. There are amperax-tubes on the market for about 30/40 dollars which already sound better than the stock ones. Although tubes could go up in price to about a grand. 

Disagree with the generalization of ss amps, have nothing to say about tubes ( I don't know them) however while I'll agree that hd800S may not play all genres equally well, the transparency of a wire and gain amp like GSX mk2, is not bright and harsh. Sensitivity and preferences aside, if you are looking for a full bodied excellent portrayal of the source, look no further. While I understand folks may look for a warm coloured signiture, your right, GSX mk2 is not that, hd800S can handle the truth of music very well. It's also like the myth(don't mean to be harsh) of type 6 silver litz ( prion 4) may not be right for hd800S as who would want that brightness, hogwash, making your music more enjoyable and true is not a bad thing. Hd800S can handle it.
Just for the record. I'm tempted to try lcd4 one year, as this system of transparent TT and GSX may benefit it, I wouldn't pigeon hole LCD either... I mean my other pair of recessed la900 has been said to pair well with zana deux, that would be warm on warm except for la900 top high frequency.
Nutshell great pairings are great depending on your tastes don't rush to make conclusions.
L3000.gif

Given it all ends up with personal preference, and that many of us have limited auditory memory for our subjective preferences arising from the A_B comparisons we do, I have greatly enjoyed the MJ2/Gumby combo with Amperex tubes whether driving HD800, Audeze LCD-X, or Focal Elear.   IMO, they are also very high quality pieces of equipment for their price. McC

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,574 of 8,689

Given it all ends up with personal preference, and that many of us have limited auditory memory for our subjective preferences arising from the A_B comparisons we do, I have greatly enjoyed the MJ2/Gumby combo with Amperex tubes whether driving HD800, Audeze LCD-X, or Focal Elear.   IMO, they are also very high quality pieces of equipment for their price. McC

Indeed. The SS-amp Whazzzup named is also 3-grand. That is some high-end equipment. Only thing that I wanted to state that pairing is important. Some type of headphones/IEMs sound better on SS's other prefer tubes. Some amps have the luxory of being able to switch between the two.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,575 of 8,689

The HD 800 S doesn't sound like that without any amplifier added. Must be a problem somewhere in the chain. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back