Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jul 17, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #1,232 of 8,697
Hi
I haven't read through 83 pages of stuff but I had a couple of hopefully quick questions; 

1) Are the HD800S still well powered by the Crack Amp with Speedball?
2) Is it cheaper to purchase in Germany? I am likely there in 2 months time.
3) Anyone have a pair to sell ?

Jul 17, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #1,233 of 8,697
Lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA-EIBHp5Sw :D

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,235 of 8,697
  Hi
I haven't read through 83 pages of stuff but I had a couple of hopefully quick questions; 

1) Probably a good match, though I don't have any personal experience with the Crack. The original HD800 was good from OTL tube amps, and I don't see any reason why the HD800S wouldn't be too.

2) Yes, I bought mine from a retailer in Germany for a good amount less than I would have paid buying them in the States.

3) I'll be taking mine to the grave!
biggrin.gif
  They have been popping up in the FS section periodically though, usually around $1300 or so.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #1,236 of 8,697
  Hi

2. Probably yes. Anyhow try Meier Audio (also online). I've bought my pair from them and I must say that I'm fully satisfied: blazing fast replies to any question, good price (at least I couldn't find any better) including shipping to South Korea!. If you go in Germany and buy there VAT will apply! If you are from EU then anyhow you will pay it, if you are from non EU country then it will be ~20% less. My advice contact Jan Meier and I think that you will not be disappointed.
3. No chance. But again if you look around who knows.  I want to say that I was waiting a lot to take my decision (I could not test them here where I live) because I've found a lot of opinions that beside the overall positive feedback still some complains were raised. Then I've noticed that almost all look the same and my impression was that some people just repeat them without even experiencing or sometimes having a clue about what they were speaking about... Anyhow to make it short maybe you are lucky and find this type of "complainer" that will sell it at a discount. 
Good luck with any path that you take.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #1,237 of 8,697
  2. Probably yes. Anyhow try Meier Audio (also online). I've bought my pair from them and I must say that I'm fully satisfied: blazing fast replies to any question, good price (at least I couldn't find any better) including shipping to South Korea!. If you go in Germany and buy there VAT will apply! If you are from EU then anyhow you will pay it, if you are from non EU country then it will be ~20% less. My advice contact Jan Meier and I think that you will not be disappointed.
3. No chance. But again if you look around who knows.  I want to say that I was waiting a lot to take my decision (I could not test them here where I live) because I've found a lot of opinions that beside the overall positive feedback still some complains were raised. Then I've noticed that almost all look the same and my impression was that some people just repeat them without even experiencing or sometimes having a clue about what they were speaking about... Anyhow to make it short maybe you are lucky and find this type of "complainer" that will sell it at a discount. 
Good luck with any path that you take.

Price in Germany is the same as anywhere else in Europe. 1598/1600 euro's. I still find it weird that it is cheaper in the United States. Especially since it it produced in Germany and not in the USA. It should cost there 1768 dollars and not 1600 dollars. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #1,238 of 8,697
  Price in Germany is the same as anywhere else in Europe. 1598/1600 euro's. I still find it weird that it is cheaper in the United States. Especially since it it produced in Germany and not in the USA. It should cost there 1768 dollars and not 1600 dollars. 

Yes it looks to works out cheaper to buy in the USA which is an option for me even though I am in NZ. I had hoped because I was buying closer to the source that they would be cheaper there (Germany) but apparently not. I guess I won't be buying an Audi, BMW or Porsche when I am there either!

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #1,239 of 8,697

Yes it looks to works out cheaper to buy in the USA which is an option for me even though I am in NZ. I had hoped because I was buying closer to the source that they would be cheaper there (Germany) but apparently not. I guess I won't be buying an Audi, BMW or Porsche when I am there either!

Bought the HD800S from Meier Audio and got it shipped to Singapore. Jan is very helpful and quick to reply all my queries and shipping took only 5 days via DHL.

I saved closed to USD 440/- getting the HD800S from Meier Audio as compared to my local retailers and as mentioned by Lucser, it might be worth getting from Meier Audio via international shipping if you're staying outside the EU region.

I believe you'll be entitled to VAT rebates if you're a tourist going to Germany, therefore it may not be that expensive buying in Germany after all. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,240 of 8,697

Depends which German retailer we're talking about. 
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #1,243 of 8,697
  Can anyone here recommend an AMP/DAC for the 800S ? somewhere in the 400 dollars range.

Chord Mojo or watch for a Schiit Combo

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #1,245 of 8,697
Apogee One or spend a little more and go for the Duet.

Duet is the same as the Apogee One except that it has more channels and lacks the microphone which supposed to be quite good on the Apogee One?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back