Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jul 11, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,201 of 8,802
  Like i said. Buy a multibit schiit dac. The mojo as DAC isn't really good. You will hear a great improvement when adding that sennheiser amplifier.
Just keep in mind that the mojo will be the weaker link in the chain. So you might wanna go for another DAC over time. But yes, you will a great improvement. 

Thank you so much.

One more question:
Mojo has stereo output. So if I use Stereo to RCA cable can I connect mojo to HDAV600?
Pls note that I already spend money for MOJO so I cant remove it. So first I try to add MOJO+HDAV600 and later desice to buy some other DAC. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #1,202 of 8,802
Thx so much for your ideas.
Yes . Actually i want mojo use as a dac and hdav600 use as a amp. So that means can i see huge sound quality difference after adding hdav600?
Pls support me to take my final decision

Better save your money and don't buy the HDVD 600. It only works for a limited set of headphones. Also you need high end cables to get the best out of an amplifier which is going to cost you alot of money.

So unless you have a lot of money, then stick with the Mojo. If you have the money, there are better options than the HDVD 600. But perhaps try out also the Hugo and Hugo TT rather than going for the HDVD 600.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #1,203 of 8,802
Better save your money and don't buy the HDVD 600. It only works for a limited set of headphones. Also you need high end cables to get the best out of an amplifier which is going to cost you alot of money.

So unless you have a lot of money, then stick with the Mojo. If you have the money, there are better options than the HDVD 600. But perhaps try out also the Hugo and Hugo TT rather than going for the HDVD 600.

Well it pairs well with his HD800S. But yes he could have a look at other amplifiers as well. Woo Audio WA2 or WA22 (if you want balance) for example.

http://wooaudio.com/products/wa2.html
http://wooaudio.com/products/wa22.html

Yet the HDVD600 is great. About the stereo to rca plug. I think it works.Yet let someone else verify it as well. I am not completely certain about it.  There are multiple adapters on the market. Like https://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-3-5mm-Mini-Plug-to-2-RCA-Adapter-Hard/dp/B003VJX2F2/187-8854094-2028400?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Yet adapters might impact the sound-quality. I mean you could buy expansive cables crafted by nightelves during moonlight, but placing a cheap adapter between them will have his impact. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #1,204 of 8,802
Well it pairs well with his HD800S. But yes he could have a look at other amplifiers as well. Woo Audio WA2 or WA22 (if you want balance) for example.

http://wooaudio.com/products/wa2.html
http://wooaudio.com/products/wa22.html

Yet the HDVD600 is great. About the stereo to rca plug. I think it works.Yet let someone else verify it as well. I am not completely certain about it.  There are multiple adapters on the market. Like https://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-3-5mm-Mini-Plug-to-2-RCA-Adapter-Hard/dp/B003VJX2F2/187-8854094-2028400?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Yet adapters might impact the sound-quality. I mean you could buy expansive cables crafted by nightelves during moonlight, but placing a cheap adapter between them will have his impact. 

Dear ubs28 and thenazgul,

Pls let me know both of you guys experience hdav 600 + hd800S and mojo+ hd800S?

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #1,205 of 8,802
Dear ubs28 and thenazgul,

Pls let me know both of you guys experience hdav 600 + hd800S and mojo+ hd800S?

I only have experience with the HDVD 800. Never tried it with an other DAC. The output impedance is way too high for a SS amplifier and I could hear it. But I believe someone said that sometimes it could be a good thing. Not for me though because if I spend so much money on an amplifier, it better be versatile. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #1,206 of 8,802

I only have experience with the HDVD 800. Never tried it with an other DAC. The output impedance is way too high for a SS amplifier and I could hear it. But I believe someone said that sometimes it could be a good thing. Not for me though because if I spend so much money on an amplifier, it better be versatile. 

Ok. Thanks so much...

That means you didn't have idea with Mojo+HD800S.
As you know my friend ,i really look for the person who tried both Mojo+HD800S and HDAV600+HD800S.Then only i can get clear idea.

ANY WAY AGAIN  THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR GREAT SUPPORT TO ME.....

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #1,207 of 8,802
  Like i said. Buy a multibit schiit dac. The mojo as DAC isn't really good. You will hear a great improvement when adding that sennheiser amplifier.
Just keep in mind that the mojo will be the weaker link in the chain. So you might wanna go for another DAC over time. But yes, you will a great improvement. 

The Mojo is a fantastic DAC...one of the best I've used under $700 and I do prefer it to the Bifrost (either version) FWIW.

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #1,208 of 8,802
  The Mojo is a fantastic DAC...one of the best I've used under $700 and I do prefer it to the Bifrost (either version) FWIW.

I agree, in fact for most headphones you don't need a separate amplifier because it already has more than  enough voltage/power to drive anything out there. The only reason you want to add an amplifier is to add flavor/color to your sound which can also be done by using an EQ. A good EQ is way cheaper and convenient than adding another component to your signal chain.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #1,209 of 8,802

I agree, in fact for most headphones you don't need a separate amplifier because it already has more than  enough voltage/power to drive anything out there. The only reason you want to add an amplifier is to add flavor/color to your sound which can also be done by using an EQ. A good EQ is way cheaper and convenient than adding another component to your signal chain.

The mojo is mainly meant for portable use. There is a noticable difference between Delta Sigma and Multibit R2R. I believe the mojo is delta sigma.
Also the channel seperation, details and soundstage is better on the schiit bifrost dac compared to the mojo. The mojo is a great product and it is amazing how they could design it in a very small package. But a smaller package mostly (not always) means a impact on the performance. 

About the amplifier. I disagree on the part that you could solve it simply with some EQ-changes. Besides you have to change the EQ-settings on every song then. Since it is song dependend. especially a tube amplifier does a lot more than adding flavor or color to your sound. Extra power to the headphone drivers does a lot with the sound. It breaths, feels more alive-real. You cannot do that with some EQ-changes

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #1,210 of 8,802
  The mojo is mainly meant for portable use. There is a noticable difference between Delta Sigma and Multibit R2R. I believe the mojo is delta sigma.
Also the channel seperation, details and soundstage is better on the schiit bifrost dac compared to the mojo. The mojo is a great product and it is amazing how they could design it in a very small package. But a smaller package mostly (not always) means a impact on the performance. 

About the amplifier. I disagree on the part that you could solve it simply with some EQ-changes. Besides you have to change the EQ-settings on every song then. Since it is song dependend. especially a tube amplifier does a lot more than adding flavor or color to your sound. Extra power to the headphone drivers does a lot with the sound. It breaths, feels more alive-real. You cannot do that with some EQ-changes

True Mojo was meant to be portable. But not necessarily mean you can't use it as a desktop DAC. In fact, it is more than capable desktop DAC than most desktop DACs out there. Don't let the size fool you. What do you think impacts performance of a DAC? Size? 

You can't never be more wrong about Mojo.It is not Delta Sigma nor Multibit R2R. It's not even doing the function of a traditional amplifier. There is a huge thread about it please read about it or ask there.

Extra power doesn't mean a thing if the load (headphone) don't need it. True that HDV600 can put out more power than the Mojo, But for HD800, it can only tap the same amount of power(actually voltage swing) at the same SPL regardless of the amplifier (as long as the amplifier has enough of it).

As for the EQ, why would you need different EQ setting for each song? Actually you can if you want to. But it's the same as saying I have a collection of different amplifiers for the same purpose (which is to add different flavors to the sound)

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #1,211 of 8,802
hi guys,

lets refer below review of HDVA600 AMP..

http://www.stereoadvantage.com/blog/rays-review-sennheiser-hdva-600/

when you google you can find that so many positive points of  HDVA600 AMP.
So i Personally believe MOJO+HDVA600 will provide far better sound….for HD800S

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #1,212 of 8,802

+1 on that, I had for serveral days side by side a Bitrost Multi+Valhalla 2 versus mojo+valhalla 2, IMO the combo with the MOJO sounded much better than with the bitfrost. Ended up returning the bitfrost, and keeping the vali with the mojo.

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #1,213 of 8,802

+1 on that, I had for serveral days side by side a Bitrost Multi+Valhalla 2 versus mojo+valhalla 2, IMO the combo with the MOJO sounded much better than with the bitfrost. Ended up returning the bitfrost, and keeping the vali with the mojo.

Dear mcemce13,

Iam glad to find person like you.

Can you pls let me know how you connect Mojo to valhala 2?

Is it like below:frowning2:if iam wrong pls correct me)

1).set mojo to line level mode(press mojo three button same time)
2).Then use stereo to RCA cable to connect mojo to valhila 2

Am i right?

one more question:

can you please let me know did you feel huge sound quality difference  Mojo+headphone  VS Mojo+Valhila2 +headphone?

thx

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #1,214 of 8,802
  Dear mcemce13,

Am i right?

one more question:

can you please let me know did you feel huge sound quality difference  Mojo+headphone  VS Mojo+Valhila2 +headphone?

thx

Yes, line out mode so you get the 2 blue balls confirmation :) Then RCA to the Valhalla. One thing is that the line out power consume a lot of battery, so even if plugged in it will not always be enough to charge it at the same time. Easy fix just turn it off for a few hours until it recharges. I believe that line out mode, even connected, drain little battery out.

Regarding sound quality, is more about signature preference I believe. The Mojo combo sounded much more detailed and alive than the bitfrost multi. Is the MOJO signature being little V shaped. For example compared to my AK320 the sound is much more flat and rolled off treble.

However that little V shape sound of the MOJO, when amped trough the valhala 2 becomes very sweet IMO. I use this combo daily with my HD800S and LCD-XC as well.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #1,215 of 8,802

Dear mcemce13

Am i right?

one more question:

thx

Yes, line out mode so you get the 2 blue balls confirmation :) Then RCA to the Valhalla. One thing is that the line out power consume a lot of battery, so even if plugged in it will not always be enough to charge it at the same time. Easy fix just turn it off for a few hours until it recharges. I believe that line out mode, even connected, drain little battery out.

Regarding sound quality, is more about signature preference I believe. The Mojo combo sounded much more detailed and alive than the bitfrost multi. Is the MOJO signature being little V shaped. For example compared to my AK320 the sound is much more flat and rolled off treble.

However that little V shape sound of the MOJO, when amped trough the valhala 2 becomes very sweet IMO. I use this combo daily with my HD800S and LCD-XC as well.

Yes, mojo is not a desktop replacement, Hugo a step better due to recharging ability and improved sq. Hugo TT and Dave offer balanced out xlr and superior dac/ USB properties as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back