Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jul 22, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #1,262 of 8,802
Really struggling with a decision right now. Not sure if I should get the HD800 and mod it or get a HD800S.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799494/totl-hp-shootout-2-abyss-hek-hex-hd800s-hd800-heavy-mod-hd800-stock-ygg-rok-stack

Shows thats that a modded HD800 can sound "better" than HD800S with proper modding and tweaks.

Does any one know what kind of mods @johnjen did?

I am currently using the LCD3F and Bass the mids but want some better soundstage, clarity and treble. Heard the HD800S and enjoyed them but all this reading about HD800 mods has got me confused.

Can save quite abit of money if I just get an old HD800 and mod it vs getting a HD800S.

Look forward to everyones comments.

What's the amp you will be using it with?
With the higher end ones ( $3,000+), a few might say stick with the original since they usually fix all the HD800 problems.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,263 of 8,802
What's the amp you will be using it with?
With the higher end ones ( $3,000+), a few might say stick with the original since they usually fix all the HD800 problems.

I use a WA5 LE and to my ears the amp tames the treble peak some but not entirely.  The Sonarworks is what made the most difference, more than any source, dac or amp.  My HD800 are now smooth, euphonic & still detailed, retaining the qualities that make HD800 special, but improved.

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #1,266 of 8,802
Really struggling with a decision right now. Not sure if I should get the HD800 and mod it or get a HD800S.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799494/totl-hp-shootout-2-abyss-hek-hex-hd800s-hd800-heavy-mod-hd800-stock-ygg-rok-stack

Shows thats that a modded HD800 can sound "better" than HD800S with proper modding and tweaks.

Does any one know what kind of mods @johnjen did?

I am currently using the LCD3F and Bass the mids but want some better soundstage, clarity and treble. Heard the HD800S and enjoyed them but all this reading about HD800 mods has got me confused.

Can save quite abit of money if I just get an old HD800 and mod it vs getting a HD800S.

Look forward to everyones comments.

Personally I am against mods. Innerfidelity test do a test with the modded HD800 and HD800S. He still prefered the HD800S. Also opening the headphones (remove the sealed mesh) etc might result in vibrations and other issues. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #1,267 of 8,802
@thenazgul : as much as you dislike mods(I was thinking the same a few month ago), please don't spread false ideas. for my mod, one need to remove the mesh and put it back. After a properly made installation, the mesh looks and works the same. I removed and put back mine dozens of time. Some people completely removed it. I sent mods to almost 350 people and all our hd800 works perfectly fine thus far.

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #1,268 of 8,802
I rather use a professional mod from Sennheiser. If you sell the balanced cable of the HD 800 S, it's even cheaper than the HD 800.

I personally keep my HD 800 stock since the treble tilt can give some recording a more exciting presentation that would otherwise sound boring on the HD 650 and HD 800 S.

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #1,269 of 8,802
@thenazgul : as much as you dislike mods(I was thinking the same a few month ago), please don't spread false ideas. for my mod, one need to remove the mesh and put it back. After a properly made installation, the mesh looks and works the same. I removed and put back mine dozens of time. Some people completely removed it. I sent mods to almost 350 people and all our hd800 works perfectly fine thus far.

I didn't say that I dislike mods. I said that I am against it. Those are two different things. Has nothing to do with spreading false idea's at all. The mod works. If I have to believe the reviewers of the mod the sound comes close to the HD800S (official mod by Sennheiser). Close. Yet buying the HD800S and sell the XLR-cable makes will give you the same price point without all the hassle, risks etc.  

But the mod is a good solution for the people that currently own a HD800, want to solve that peak. Some people prefer the HD800 over the HD800S (like the peak). Depends on the genre you play most. Like classical music. 

I modded my phone-OS/kernel and even my PS3 with a Cobra ODE-chip etc and more things. But yes, it all comes with risks. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #1,270 of 8,802
  I rather use a professional mod from Sennheiser. If you sell the balanced cable of the HD 800 S, it's even cheaper than the HD 800.

I personally keep my HD 800 stock since the treble tilt can give some recording a more exciting presentation that would otherwise sound boring on the HD 650 and HD 800 S.

I actually enjoy the electric and hyper detailed sound of the HD800's (unmodded). The music sounds lively and full of energy (I listen to ambient/electronica/classical). Not sure if it is down to system synergy but I rarely find the treble to be piercing or annoyingly harsh. I just cannot fathom myself trying to mod these headphones after spending over 1K for them, I mean Sennheiser has spent many years designing these headphones with experts in sound engineering and design, I just cringe thinking about gluing some material on or removing something. If it came down to that, I would just sell them and buy another headphone that had less treble and a more musical presentation. Every person that has tried my set-up (audiophiles or not) never complained about the treble. Seems to me that a high quality warm/or smooth amp with solid source and perhaps the black dragon v2 cable and the treble tilt is almost negligible. Of course they won't sound as musical and lush as the HD650's, but I am sure the HD800's were not designed to sound like that nor did a purchase them for that, I bought them for their amazing detail, imaging, sound stage, transparency and laser like precision that I personally think is the best of any dynamic driver still out there.  

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,271 of 8,802
IMHO the differences between the 800s and the 800S is not only about the treble, when I had the 800s the treble didn’t bother me at all, same for the HD700s. What did bother me and the reason I held onto the 700s and not the original 800s was that they were unnaturally sounding, there was a very slight clinical sterility to the sound which just shouldn’t be there with most music and from that perspective the “S” version is the more natural sounding of the two. Even with a touch more base and slightly altered treble I would not call the S warmer just more neutral in its aural presentation and perceived harmonics, it’s subtle but very obvious through long term listening, with the 800s I lost interest in the music and with 800S’ I keep coming back for more.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #1,272 of 8,802
Got to listen to the HD 800S today. Never heard the original 800, but these were very impressive. I liked them more than the LCD-X I tried too. The soundstage was incredible, i actually took them off because I thought some speakers were playing! In direct comparison to the HD 650, these had much better soundstage, but believe it or not, similar tonality. Except for the mids and lower treble. I felt the 800S were actually less intimate sounding and were more distant. The bass was pretty much the same. Also, I felt that they were not harsh in the slightest, to my ears. And keep in mind, I'm used to the 650s. The LCD-X were a little dull in comparison, and they didn't fit me correctly at all unfortunately. I would love to own a pair of HD 800S in the future, and to HD 650 fans, definitely try these!

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #1,273 of 8,802
Got to listen to the HD 800S today. Never heard the original 800, but these were very impressive. I liked them more than the LCD-X I tried too. The soundstage was incredible, i actually took them off because I thought some speakers were playing! In direct comparison to the HD 650, these had much better soundstage, but believe it or not, similar tonality. Except for the mids and lower treble. I felt the 800S were actually less intimate sounding and were more distant. The bass was pretty much the same. Also, I felt that they were not harsh in the slightest, to my ears. And keep in mind, I'm used to the 650s. The LCD-X were a little dull in comparison, and they didn't fit me correctly at all unfortunately. I would love to own a pair of HD 800S in the future, and to HD 650 fans, definitely try these!

thankfully! I have the HD650 and can't stand how claustrophobic they make me feel on a lot of music, even with a good source and amp (which granted does help somewhat). They are good for folk, blues, some rock, and some solo or chamber music... Basically anything with five instruments or less. Also, they are not that detailed really. My Beyer DT150s blow them away in the clarity of the detail. When I go back to the HD650 I feel like someone put a fuzzy cloth around everything...but eventually I go back to enjoying the music. Also, with blues, folk, and rock, you aren't necessarily trying to reach the tiniest details, you mainly want to feel the music. With classical and a lot of jazz, it's a different story, you want to almost taste the timbres of the instruments, and piece out the complexities.

I'm thinking the 800/800S would be a good compliment to have with the 650, not necessarily a replacement for the 650. (I still haven't auditioned them, though). 

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #1,274 of 8,802

Nice impressions of the HD800S vs HD650 -- they match mine pretty much exactly! I think the HD650 is more linear through the upper mids / lower treble, whereas the HD800S (and HD800, for that matter) has a slight, broad dip in that region. I'm kind of sensitive to that frequency range, so I actually find the HD800S slightly less fatiguing than the HD650 (although it seems most people would probably say the other way around).

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #1,275 of 8,802
Just sharing - don't underestimate EQ'ing your HD 800S's. Using the high quality EQ feature in Sonic Amarra, I pumped up 29Hz and 63Hz by about 5.5 db (and lowered volume by 6 avoid distortion), and now it almost made them basshead cans!

If you're used to an even thicker presentation than stock, you might give it a try. I'm quite happy with what the HD800S is capable of since along with a nice thick bass kick, I also have a much more clear presentation along the mids and highs and wider soundstage than typically darker signature headphones would even come close to having. 

In other words, damn, these thing scale so well!

gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back