Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #8,566 of 8,689
Flagships and other end game components. I guess hd800S is a flagship in lieu of unavailability of its true flagship.
Well, I'm not sure what you mean. I've heard the HE1 but prefer the HD800S. I've never really been convinced by planars (including stats) - I've owned quite a few. 'True flagship'? I rest my case.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #8,567 of 8,689
Well, I'm not sure what you mean. I've heard the HE1 but prefer the HD800S. I've never really been convinced by planars (including stats) - I've owned quite a few. 'True flagship'? I rest my case.

court adjourned

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #8,568 of 8,689
One thing I'm finding about the HD800S since upgrading to a better headphone amp (Denafrips Artemis) is they, along with the amp, will reveal badly recorded content.

If your content is thin and devoid of life (mp3), so will the headphones sound. If the content is full and luscious and properly recorded, that's what you'll get from the phones.

I know this is cliche, but it's true.... I am now hearing stuff in my music not noticeable with my Teac UD-503's built in headphone amp. That's not to say that info wasn't there before, it just wasn't noticeable with the Teac. Here my Artemis is simply producing more detail, which now makes things more noticeable.

Additionally, with my Teac, its built-in headphone amp always made my headphones - HD700, Audio Technica ATH M-50X, and now my HD800S, sound underpowered and starved, no matter the volume pumped into them. The Artemis provides weight of music, regardless of volume - even at low volume nothing feels light and underpowered.

Here, though I speak of the Artemis, I'm under no illusions, my Artemis is the only amp that can do what it does. My point here is system matching also matters in how good or bad headphones can sound. If you're going to pay $1500 bucks for a headphone, match it with an amp that can push them.

And no, it doesn't have to be an amp in the thousands. I hear Toppings, Schilit, and some others offer sub $1000 dollar amps that do a great job with the HD800S. But also, be aware you get what you pay for. Again, if you're going to pay $1500 bucks for a headphone you might consider the amp you're using to push them.

My two cents.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #8,569 of 8,689
the next amp I'm aiming for is the Burson Audio Conductor 3X with Bluesound Node.
Hmm, do you know what you get with Conductor?
I have 3x Reference, and it's an amazing amp. But again, do you know what kind of sound signature Conductor has?
I think that probably 95% of people wouldn't choose that combo.
Just as a reminder, if you haven't listened to these two together.

Cheers!

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #8,570 of 8,689
Hmm, do you know what you get with Conductor?
I have 3x Reference, and it's an amazing amp. But again, do you know what kind of sound signature Conductor has?
I think that probably 95% of people wouldn't choose that combo.
Just as a reminder, if you haven't listened to these two together.

Cheers!
I haven't actually listened to it. Got a good offer on a demo model for 600 euros and might like to take it home and test it. Please explain the difference, otherwise I can Google :wink:

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #8,571 of 8,689
I haven't actually listened to it. Got a good offer on a demo model for 600 euros and might like to take it home and test it. Please explain the difference, otherwise I can Google :wink:
It's bright sounding. I bought one because of that, and I use it occasionally with 800S, too.
But it could turn 800S sometimes into "harsh" sounding headphones with certain music.
I don't depend on one combo, and it's an amazing amp.
Just don't rush until you are confident.
I have a tube amp, not OTL...and 800S sounds splendid with it, majestic! :)
If you can invest in Burson and another one (if you won't be happy with that combo), buy Burson.
But if you can't..then it could be tricky :)

Cheers!

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #8,572 of 8,689
Right now Fiio The K5 will do for a while but the next amp I'm aiming for is the Burson Audio Conductor 3X with Bluesound Node.
Hmm, do you know what you get with Conductor?.
Unless you have the opportunity to listen to gear you may be interested in, online reviews are your next option. BUT... you need to know going in what it is you're looking for.

Becaause, I don't live in an area when I can preview hi-fi gear, I used the internet to help me choose a system. BUT.... I also had an idea of what I was looking for, and that lead me to the Denafrips headphone amp with the help of reviews and other users on this site > here.

But again, that would not have happened, if I didn't know what I was looking for, and especially sound wise. I've posted this video (YouTube) a few times, but here is an example of a review saying everything I was looking for in a headphone amp, backed up by users in the forum linked above.

Also pay attention to the negatives as they can be telling, even for the good. Example, someone may complain an amp is too colorful, but if that's what you're looking for (I was), that may be a good thing for you. Knowing what you're looking for goes a long way in reading reviews and end user accounts.

My two cents.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #8,575 of 8,689
Hm.. Once again something may have been written a number of times :) Now I have "problems" or not really.. Bought a few days ago HD800s with reservation from everything I read online how they are. I have hearing damage in my left ear and have always been a bit sensitive to headphones with dark sound. However, I have read about the HD800s how bright and sharp they are and this suits me so well. Now I can suddenly and thankfully how they are finally hear a lot of details. I've been trying to find a fault with them that makes me not keep them. It didn't go so well.. :)

Another thing that I thought about, but I can comment on that, on the other hand, maybe you who have really compared and know the difference. I have 3 times tested a pair of new ones in the store, own room without anyone disturbing a pair of HD800s Made in Germany. The ones I ordered and got home are Made in Ireland. I thought the ones that were made in Germany sounded thin, not lively in any way. Pretty much the sound described by many... I think these ones from Ireland sound different. They sound more like the 660s2 in terms of character. Better bass response and warmer sound overall.

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #8,576 of 8,689
Hmm...I'd never describe HD800S as bright and sharp. It's more neutral and dependent on the amp/DAC combo.
With Burson, it can sound a bit sharper and brighter...but with a tube amp, it is completely different.
But mine are made in Ireland as well...
It is interesting to read about made in Germany as bright and sharp...

Cheers!

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #8,577 of 8,689
I have # 920 seems perfect to me. But have no idea about later production.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #8,578 of 8,689
I have made in germany #00246. It's great, bright not sharp. Just like any other HD800S ireland or otherwise. Sennheiser has near perfect quality control. Differences between units almost always are due to differences in sources.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #8,579 of 8,689
I got an aliexpress sale special, the questyle m15 for aprrox 150 USD. It just arrived. I didn't get it for the HD800S, but boy does it sound quite good on this little thing. Still trying to get a handle on the sound, but initial results are super encouraging. A dongle dac that doesn't kill my phone with battery drain and can power the HD800S (single ended, I don't have a 4.4 mm terminated cable for the S) with authority. Warmish signature helps alot. :relaxed:

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #8,580 of 8,689
My made in Ireland ones don’t sound bright at all. It’s a neutral slightly warm presentations. It is really good at picking up details so maybe people think it’s bright cause of that?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back