Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #8,551 of 8,690
So, because we've not been to CanJam, and don't share your ideals we can't be trusted?

That's a bit presumptuous and arrogant, isn't it?
What in the world are you tripping on? You can read it how you want, and if you're here to pick a fight, this isn't the hobby for that (who wants to fight on the internet over headphones? :beyersmile: ).

Attending CanJam and listening to multiple headphones is obviously just an example of the many experienced listeners on this forum. Notice I am talking about this forum and did say "many more similarly experienced people" First time reading on forums? Sheesh...

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #8,552 of 8,690
Agree somewhat that pricing isn’t a good indicator, however reputation on here is another story. Those who attend CanJams and have heard lots of gear are probably going to be a little more reliable. And if many more similarly experienced people say the same thing… you can probably trust that reputation. I don’t trust everyone on these forums but there are some that are more experienced than I and share the same impressions on the same gear I’ve heard that I do trust.
I'm afraid I can't agree. I would suggest anyone interested in an amp (or other component) do his or her best to try it before buying it. If that's simply not possible, then it's a gamble - technical details are often all one has to go on with any confidence (and they're of limited assistance). The impressions of people we know (and trust) are of course useful. As are the views I think of any observers or manufacturers we've followed over the years and found to be reliable. I think it's wise to be sceptical of enthusiastic claims regarding the 'endgame', 'top of the line' or 'flagship' status of any component.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #8,553 of 8,690
I'm afraid I can't agree. I would suggest anyone interested in an amp (or other component) do his or her best to try it before buying it. If that's simply not possible, then it's a gamble - technical details are often all one has to go on with any confidence (and they're of limited assistance). The impressions of people we know (and trust) are of course useful. As are the views I think of any observers or manufacturers we've followed over the years and found to be reliable. I think it's wise to be sceptical of enthusiastic claims regarding the 'endgame', 'top of the line' or 'flagship' status of any component.
We are essentially saying the same thing based on what you wrote in the bolded section. If you can't trust the people you've found to be reliable when they use the verbage 'endgame' 'TOTL' or 'flagship' to describe an item to be of high quality, then I don't know what to tell you. Of course there's no replacing listening for yourself but I think its a given that everyone takes any review with a grain of salt.

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #8,554 of 8,690
We are essentially saying the same thing based on what you wrote in the bolded section. If you can't trust the people you've found to be reliable when they use the verbage 'endgame' 'TOTL' or 'flagship' to describe an item to be of high quality, then I don't know what to tell you. Of course there's no replacing listening for yourself but I think its a given that everyone takes any review with a grain of salt.
I guess there may be a difference between us. I'm suggesting these expressions are always unhelpful, and best left to the advertising department. I don't take all reviews with a grain of salt. Some commentators have useful things to say and bring expertise and experience to the analysis. Others don't.

EDIT
I guess I'd be surprised if someone I trusted used these kinds of expressions as a reason to think highly of a component.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #8,555 of 8,690
Nothing wrong with flagships. And end game is a personal metaphors for their audio journey. One persons end is another beginning.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #8,557 of 8,690
Mar 27, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #8,559 of 8,690
The HD800S? As I've said above, the best headphone I've encountered.
Flagships and other end game components. I guess hd800S is a flagship in lieu of unavailability of its true flagship.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #8,560 of 8,690
The HD800S is also the most satisfying I've heard - and I've heard many headphones. In my opinion they're at their best with solid state amps. In terms of personal favourites, the Sennheiser HDV820 is excellent, but not as good as the Moon 430HA. I found the SPL Phonitor was also very good. The Moon and SPL incorporate excellent analogue crossfeed circuits. So, I certainly wouldn't rush into any purchase of a valve amp - particularly a boutique model at an astronomical price. Any suggestion that 'endgame' reputations or prices are a useful indicator of quality is in my view simply wrong.
The HD800S's pair very well with my Silver Fox. Nothing is missing from a sonic standpoint.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #8,561 of 8,690
There’s many ways to sashay down the yellow brick road to audio nirvana, product shuffling up costs time and wastes money. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. But if you got the money and not the time. Go flagshipish. Nothing wrong with s/s, but tube amps will change your audio life. There expensive desk furnaces that begs the question, it sounds this good shouldn’t i upgrade all these tubes? If one can accept the variability of these beasts, Sound improves within a listen and over time, there could be noise that needs to be burned out by use, etc microphonics so I use a vibration plate…. So if your fire n forget as I was for ten years go ss, if you bloomed to romantic musicality, go tubes. Hd800s loves em.
I find it troubling to hear one issue a blanket statement such as “tubes are better than solid-state when using the Sennheiser HD-800S”. I have used both tubes and solid-state to power my HD-800S (and the HD-820), and the most I’ll say is that if using the best tube or solid state headphone amps one of these methods of amplification is not inherently better than the other.
Both have their benefits, both have their disadvantages. The disadvantages of either can be minimized the higher up one goes in a brand’s amp roster.
I’ve used both Pass Labs (solid-state) and Woo Audio (tube) amps. They weren’t inexpensive, but both brought me closer to the high-end audio’s unobtainable holy grail of audio perfection. These two methods are simply two different roads one may take on this extremely enjoyable (but sometimes expensive) journey.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #8,562 of 8,690
I find it troubling to hear one issue a blanket statement such as “tubes are better than solid-state when using the Sennheiser HD-800S”. I have used both tubes and solid-state to power my HD-800S (and the HD-820), and the most I’ll say is that if using the best tube or solid state headphone amps one of these methods of amplification is not inherently better than the other.
Both have their benefits, both have their disadvantages. The disadvantages of either can be minimized the higher up one goes in a brand’s amp roster.
I’ve used both Pass Labs (solid-state) and Woo Audio (tube) amps. They weren’t inexpensive, but both brought me closer to the high-end audio’s unobtainable holy grail of audio perfection. These two methods are simply two different roads one may take on this extremely enjoyable (but sometimes expensive) journey.
Good thing that’s not what I said, but thx for the mention.

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #8,563 of 8,690
The HD800S's pair very well with my Silver Fox. Nothing is missing from a sonic standpoint.
For a $4K amp (assuming you have the 906 vs the 2K 806), I certainly hope so. Very nice amp BTW :thumbsup:

My $2K Denafrips Artemis headphone also pairs well with the HD800S phones as well. Very happy with it :thumbsup:

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #8,564 of 8,690
My first post on this forum. I just want to tell you about my experience with a pair of TOTL headphones.
I started quite late (46 years) to listen to music the "right way" Previously it was to listen with cheaper IEMs but the more I wanted to listen qualitatively and I ended up with the Philips X2HR, Massdrop HE4XX and the last 2 years with the HD600.
For several weeks I have felt that it is time for something better. A pair of headphones with which you can listen to the music relaxed and hear a lot of detail.
All said and done, I was at several stores and tested the following headphones; Denon D9200, LCD-X, HD800S, Arya, 660s2, Clear MG. I'm writing about my experience and how I experienced all those different headphones.

Denon D9200
For a closed back headphone it is ok. I don't have much to say about it..

LCD-X
Liked them to a point. Tested 3 times.. What I didn't like was the dark sound (tested with EQ) The weight was ok for 10min but it was quite noticeable if I moved my head, say to pick up the coffee cup or something else.
20-30 minutes later, despite good weight distribution, the weight was still felt.

Arya
Sound is quite ok and in the direction of HD800s but rather cheap feeling. The ear pads felt uncomfortable. Cable that came with it felt like it was 3euro.

660s2
Yes, many people write on the internet not to buy them because they are HD600 blah, blah...
Sometimes I wonder from all the posts if people have even tried headphones at all or listen to YT channels where so-called experts at home decide what is good sound or not . I'll say this, this headphone is in a different league compared to the HD600.
If you want to have fun where it swings and a warmer sound, buy the 660s2. If you want sterile, muffled sound, buy the HD600.

Clear MG
Good headphone. I really liked them but they were pretty much bling, bling which I don't like. They sounded good but I didn't like it.

My choice was the a couple brand new HD800s (made in Ireland).
You can read that a lot about they lack bass, they sound so and so. Unfortunately, you cannot get a premium headphone with a lot of bass if it is to sound right and if they are to be detailed (this is my opinion). If you want such headphones, you can buy a pair on Alibaba from China for 30euros.
HD800s will give you as much bass as you want. Then don´t forget that the HD800s have bass, "the right amount of bass" that's my feeling.

To buy expensive headphones or not? Or tune the engine in your old car and say it's unnecessary with a Ferrari because your Volvo is just as fast :-/ Sure, it might be just as fast but it's not a Ferrari and never will be. For me it's the same with headphones.
I could sit here with my X2HR, HD600 or some others and write around on forums that you are stupid or something because more expensive headphones are just nonsense.
If you ask me, I think like this: are you happy in your bubble? continue to be...

Finally, I know...
If you have the money to buy an expensive pair of headphones, you should have a really good amp. No, unfortunately I'm not made of money and my HD800s sound sooooo good with the Fiio K5 :)
Right now Fiio The K5 will do for a while but the next amp I'm aiming for is the Burson Audio Conductor 3X with Bluesound Node.

English is not my native language and I apologize if there are misspellings somewhere and if my construction is weird.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #8,565 of 8,690
My first post on this forum. I just want to tell you about my experience with a pair of TOTL headphones.
I started quite late (46 years) to listen to music the "right way" Previously it was to listen with cheaper IEMs but the more I wanted to listen qualitatively and I ended up with the Philips X2HR, Massdrop HE4XX and the last 2 years with the HD600.
For several weeks I have felt that it is time for something better. A pair of headphones with which you can listen to the music relaxed and hear a lot of detail.
All said and done, I was at several stores and tested the following headphones; Denon D9200, LCD-X, HD800S, Arya, 660s2, Clear MG. I'm writing about my experience and how I experienced all those different headphones.

Denon D9200
For a closed back headphone it is ok. I don't have much to say about it..

LCD-X
Liked them to a point. Tested 3 times.. What I didn't like was the dark sound (tested with EQ) The weight was ok for 10min but it was quite noticeable if I moved my head, say to pick up the coffee cup or something else.
20-30 minutes later, despite good weight distribution, the weight was still felt.

Arya
Sound is quite ok and in the direction of HD800s but rather cheap feeling. The ear pads felt uncomfortable. Cable that came with it felt like it was 3euro.

660s2
Yes, many people write on the internet not to buy them because they are HD600 blah, blah...
Sometimes I wonder from all the posts if people have even tried headphones at all or listen to YT channels where so-called experts at home decide what is good sound or not . I'll say this, this headphone is in a different league compared to the HD600.
If you want to have fun where it swings and a warmer sound, buy the 660s2. If you want sterile, muffled sound, buy the HD600.

Clear MG
Good headphone. I really liked them but they were pretty much bling, bling which I don't like. They sounded good but I didn't like it.

My choice was the a couple brand new HD800s (made in Ireland).
You can read that a lot about they lack bass, they sound so and so. Unfortunately, you cannot get a premium headphone with a lot of bass if it is to sound right and if they are to be detailed (this is my opinion). If you want such headphones, you can buy a pair on Alibaba from China for 30euros.
HD800s will give you as much bass as you want. Then don´t forget that the HD800s have bass, "the right amount of bass" that's my feeling.

To buy expensive headphones or not? Or tune the engine in your old car and say it's unnecessary with a Ferrari because your Volvo is just as fast :-/ Sure, it might be just as fast but it's not a Ferrari and never will be. For me it's the same with headphones.
I could sit here with my X2HR, HD600 or some others and write around on forums that you are stupid or something because more expensive headphones are just nonsense.
If you ask me, I think like this: are you happy in your bubble? continue to be...

Finally, I know...
If you have the money to buy an expensive pair of headphones, you should have a really good amp. No, unfortunately I'm not made of money and my HD800s sound sooooo good with the Fiio K5 :)
Right now Fiio The K5 will do for a while but the next amp I'm aiming for is the Burson Audio Conductor 3X with Bluesound Node.

English is not my native language and I apologize if there are misspellings somewhere and if my construction is weird.

Welcome to Headfi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back