Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 16, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #5,161 of 8,771
The Gold Lion is very decent. The mullard new production are Russian made reissues so the only common thing with the NOS ones is the name.
I agree with the above opinion though, great that you have extra tubes but first let the amp play and burn in a bit with the stock tubes also so that you tune your ears to a base sound. Then you have an idea of what more exotic tubes are improving on or not.

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #5,162 of 8,771
Ok guys, here is the reply concerning the tubes:

Should be no problem with the tubes you recently sourced from thetubestore as we have often purchased tubes from them (including Genalex – Gold Lion) and used them in Icon products. The Icon recommended procedure is to get at least 15-20 hours of play/burn time in before rolling tubes. The HP8 you purchased was shipped with brand new tested and matched CV181 power tubes hand carried by David Shaw (owner/designer of Icon Audio) himself from the UK while he attended our booth at the recent Toronto Audiofest show. David commented that it was the best he had heard the HP8 – now yours – so do enjoy,

As I am sure you know, Don Stewart is the Icon/ARC authorized warranty service technician for Icon products sold in Canada. Feel free to contact him and/or myself for any assistance on Icon Audio products offerings.

Best regards, Warren Lavender

ARC Audio

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #5,163 of 8,771
Ok guys, here is the reply concerning the tubes:

Should be no problem with the tubes you recently sourced from thetubestore as we have often purchased tubes from them (including Genalex – Gold Lion) and used them in Icon products. The Icon recommended procedure is to get at least 15-20 hours of play/burn time in before rolling tubes. The HP8 you purchased was shipped with brand new tested and matched CV181 power tubes hand carried by David Shaw (owner/designer of Icon Audio) himself from the UK while he attended our booth at the recent Toronto Audiofest show. David commented that it was the best he had heard the HP8 – now yours – so do enjoy,

As I am sure you know, Don Stewart is the Icon/ARC authorized warranty service technician for Icon products sold in Canada. Feel free to contact him and/or myself for any assistance on Icon Audio products offerings.

Best regards, Warren Lavender

ARC Audio
I have CV181 power tubes which is one of the best new production tube much better than Golden Lion.

https://www.amazon.com/Shuguang-Treasure-Cv181-z-Matched-Replace/dp/B011QZ4N1O

CV181 power tubes falls slightly short of Sylvania Nos vt231 on details but it still has smooth texture.

I recommend you to use stock tubes and keep the other new production tube as backup.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #5,164 of 8,771
Nov 17, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #5,166 of 8,771
So my next issue is the interconnect between the benchmark dac and the icon. I have a pair of blue jeans cable LC1s on hand, a pair kimber kable toniks on hand, or should I buy some kimber heroes or silver streak used from CAM?

I mean the blue jeans and toniks are decent interconnects. Should I just stick with one of these?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #5,167 of 8,771
Whichever costs more

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #5,168 of 8,771
So my next issue is the interconnect between the benchmark dac and the icon. I have a pair of blue jeans cable LC1s on hand, a pair kimber kable toniks on hand, or should I buy some kimber heroes or silver streak used from CAM?

I mean the blue jeans and toniks are decent interconnects. Should I just stick with one of these?

Thoughts?
Cable rolling is lot of work.

Take your time and wait until your tube amplifier settle down.

Nov 17, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #5,171 of 8,771
I'm guessing that by the responses and the lack thereof that the toniks would be fine as interconnects.

Edit: I bought a .5meter of kimber's silver streak. Done and done.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #5,172 of 8,771
where can I find original ear pads replacement for 800s?

everywhere I looked it's unbranded or generic and replacement not original parts replacement.

I don't want generic one they will change the sound or be less comfortable

Nov 29, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #5,173 of 8,771
where can I find original ear pads replacement for 800s?

everywhere I looked it's unbranded or generic and replacement not original parts replacement.

I don't want generic one they will change the sound or be less comfortable
There u go
Screenshot_20191129-214508_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back