Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 5, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #5,056 of 8,689
4829E2DD-7717-432E-A008-47E236DA609F.jpeg Joined the club! Loving them so far! Really considering buying the t1 so I can do a three way comparison and it’s only $750..
Primarily been using these Amps/dacs:
Fiio e17/k5 (dac only)
Audio quest dragonfly cobalt
Schiit Valhalla 2 (stock tubes)
Darkvoice 336se svetlana 6as7g/sovtek 6sn7gt
Musical paradise mp-301 stock driver tubes/psvane 6ca7-t or svetlana el34

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #5,057 of 8,689
Depends on how immediate your need is. I was just casually watching for a few months, then immediately grabbed a mint 800S at $1k when it listed. Audiogon, Craig's, Head-Fi, are good, and I always watch them just for fun.
I bought my 3 month old pair on canuck audio mart for $1500, that $1000 off with tax the new price on Amazon.ca.

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #5,058 of 8,689
I am listening to "Piano Trio by Schumann op63" played by Arthur Rubinstein, Pierre Fournier and Henry Szering

through HD 800S headphone driven by Chord Dave and Mscaler.

It sounds very intimate through headphone than speaker.

HD 800s is very good for chamber music with nice timber and placement of each instrument.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #5,060 of 8,689
Have an HD800S coming in soon. I'm curious how it will compare to my other headphones and, by memory, the original HD800/SDR.

It's way better: more musical; more holographic imaging; better soundstage( deeper anda wide as the HD800's); and way less fatiguing(not fatiguing at all, actually, at least in my experiene with them). Amazing headphones.

Nov 8, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #5,061 of 8,689
It's way better: more musical; more holographic imaging; better soundstage( deeper anda wide as the HD800's); and way less fatiguing(not fatiguing at all, actually, at least in my experiene with them). Amazing headphones.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. It will come down to one’s preference. Most people have to EQ and heavily mod the original to make it listenable. At the same time, there is something special about that headphone on the right track.

It is good to hear people are still enjoying the HD800S.

I just won’t be able to make much use of the 4.4 balanced cable. I wonder why Sennheiser changed to this from XLR if not to save on costs. I would prefer the XLR.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #5,062 of 8,689
Thanks for sharing your perspective. It will come down to one’s preference. Most people have to EQ and heavily mod the original to make it listenable. At the same time, there is something special about that headphone on the right track.

It is good to hear people are still enjoying the HD800S.

I just won’t be able to make much use of the 4.4 balanced cable. I wonder why Sennheiser changed to this from XLR if not to save on costs. I would prefer the XLR.

HD800s are virtually unlistenable for prolongued periods of time of more than about half an hour. Detail retrieving is superb but the soundtage sounds kinda flat,if wide open

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #5,065 of 8,689
HD800s are virtually unlistenable for prolongued periods of time of more than about half an hour. Detail retrieving is superb but the soundtage sounds kinda flat,if wide open
Not true. I prefer the 800 versus the S. They are both great, but the 800 is better. Not fatiguing at all.

All of this is subjective conjecture.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #5,067 of 8,689
I do. Both the S and original.

Yep. I PM'd you, and you said you preferred the original. The problem is finding one since they are discontinued. I stupidly missed out on one last week for hesitating on buying. Thus, I will give the HD800S a try.

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #5,068 of 8,689
Yep. I PM'd you, and you said you preferred the original. The problem is finding one since they are discontinued. I stupidly missed out on one last week for hesitating on buying. Thus, I will give the HD800S a try.
For sure, if I had to live with just one it would be the 800 over the S for my desert island.

They come up for sale quite often on canuck audio mart.

And to clarify: my pair are not modded.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #5,069 of 8,689
Not true. I prefer the 800 versus the S. They are both great, but the 800 is better. Not fatiguing at all.

All of this is subjective conjecture.

It is definitely subjective. I love the HD800 but can't lie in saying I didn't find it fatiguing at times. The SDR mod helped but not entirely for me. Still, nothing can do what the HD800 does; it has its complementary role in a collection of headphones. And it scales like mad. Moreover, what non-electrostatic headphone can beat if for classical?

Nov 8, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #5,070 of 8,689
For sure, if I had to live with just one it would be the 800 over the S for my desert island.

They come up for sale quite often on canuck audio mart.

And to clarify: my pair are not modded.

Yeah, not all people mod them. That is fine. Others only listen to them on condition of EQ and mods, which vary greatly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back