Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 7, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #4,516 of 8,689
Apparently dealers can order "BLACK" -XRL4 variant of this. (Or atleast that is what i have been told that the product description has black word in it, and you can be damn sure that i will return it for black variant if it comes silver)
Makes sense, since they don't make original HD800 anymore. Headphones that are compatible with the XLR4 cable are both black (HD820 and HD800S)
Good luck with that. Getting the black version of the XLR-4 cable as an accessory had been virtually impossible for many people (hence the CH 800 S part number and specific packaging also bear in mind it does not come with the black storage bag which is only supplied with the HD 800 S). In some circumstances cutomers were able to get a replacement black version after complaining their HD 800 S was shipped with a silver XLR-4 cable. The CH 800 P cable on the other hand is only sold in black so it’s easier to sort that.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #4,517 of 8,689
Good luck with that. Getting the black version of the XLR-4 cable as an accessory had been virtually impossible for many people. In some circumstances cutomers were able to get a replacement black version after complaining their HD 800 S was shipped with a silver XLR-4 cable.

I specifically asked for black XLR4 cable from the dealer. (It's a seperate order and i paid more to get it)
We'll see, if it indeed comes with silver end, i will surely exchange it.

But the Sennheise rep has stated to me that they no longer include XLR-cables with HD800S and they no longer make silver-XLR4 cable.

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #4,518 of 8,689
Good luck with that. Getting the black version of the XLR-4 cable as an accessory had been virtually impossible for many people (hence the CH 800 S part number and specific packaging also bear in mind it does not come with the black storage bag which is only supplied with the HD 800 S). In some circumstances cutomers were able to get a replacement black version after complaining their HD 800 S was shipped with a silver XLR-4 cable. The CH 800 P cable on the other hand is only sold in black so it’s easier to sort that.

I was one of them.
Mailed Sennheiser complaining about the silver cable.
Five days later the black cable was at my door!

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #4,519 of 8,689
I had shortlisted the AFO, MX4 (b stock), Aeolus, LCD X, 2, and Clear as well along with 800S. Where I am, 800S is actually cheaper at abt USD1300 and Clear USD1400. X & 2 abt the same.

Frankly after getting the Atom I find the improvements it made to 650 so significant that from memory, other cans I tried are not that much better (like 2-3 times for their price).

Admittedly, I do like the Clear’s accessories a lot (case and cables). But am concerned abt corrosion issue and durability. Unlike the 800 and 600 series where each part is more easily replaceable and available when making a warranty claim.

I presume that also makes the 800S a more compelling option
Hahahahaha chocolate chip donuts lolol

Thank you for sharing! It makes sense and though I do not own the Clear or other mentioned previously, I agree :)
“It's always interesting to me that we all hear music differently. It's an awesome experience to hear what other people hear.” Tommy Lee

Apr 16, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #4,520 of 8,689
I asked my Sennheiser rep, the silver XLR-4 cable is sold out, and the replacement black XLR-4 cable is the only cable you can get.

Also backorder on HD800S is growing to be quite large. Over 100+ waiting just in USA alone and no ETA.

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #4,521 of 8,689
Speak of the devil, just got another Sennheiser update from my rep.

During the development of the HD 820 the yoke construction of the headband has been improved to a more solid, long lasting design. Effective immediately this improved yoke construction will be used in the design of the HD 800 S. There will be no changes in pricing.

What’s in the box: HD 800 S headphones; unbalanced ¼” connection cable; balanced 4.4mm connection cable; instruction manual; storage box; microfiber cloth; USB flash drive with instruction manual (as PDF file) and individually diffuse-field frequency response curve.

New HD800S have a better yoke. Just have to wait for them to come in.

Edit: Yoke changed, not headband so corrected my post.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #4,522 of 8,689
New HD800S have a better headband. Just have to wait for them to come in.

Is this true? I have my HD800S order in since march. (Going to get one next month)
Rep said that indeed it comes with Pentaconn cable and the reason why they are so late is because there was "some" component issue that didn't pass QC. So they ditched the entire line and waited for an fix. He never said anything about changes to the actual HD800S itself... interesting.
But yeah, the backorder line is quite long i was told.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #4,523 of 8,689
Is this true? I have my HD800S order in since march. (Going to get one next month)
Rep said that indeed it comes with Pentaconn cable and the reason why they are so late is because there was "some" component issue that didn't pass QC. So they ditched the entire line and waited for an fix. He never said anything about changes to the actual HD800S itself... interesting.
But yeah, the backorder line is quite long i was told.

And to the black XLR-4 cable. Dealer confirmed that Sennheiser doesn't make anything but black XLR-4 cables anymore and indeed the order confirmation says "Black XLR-4 cable"
Yup, just got the update yesterday from my rep. The HD800S from January I sold to a customer came with the 4.4mm cable and he was confused and I hadn't been informed at the time of the switch. Just taking a look at our HD800S (old yoke) and our HD820, the HD820 yoke looks quite a bit thicker and beefier. Can't imagine weight will change much on it as a result.

Edit: https://imgur.com/a/eCJsILJ Some pics I took comparing the HD800S old yoke with the HD820 yoke. So one can see the difference.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #4,528 of 8,689
I have heard the 800 and have been looking to buy one but what do the 800s offer different ?

The 800 can be had around $700 used with the 800s being at least $300 more are they worth the extra ?
I personally thought the original was very good but I definitely can not own both so anyone with experience with both please chine in.

Thanks

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #4,529 of 8,689
The 600's are noticeably easier to drive and don't require as much amperage as the 800's to drive.

Not sure how you arrived at this conclusion. They have the exact same impedance of 300 ohms. I’d say they’re equally hard to drive. I’d also say that the HA-2 is not powerful enough to drive them properly. It only outputs 30mw into 300 ohms. I would say anything less than 100mw into 300 ohms is definitely underpowered.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #4,530 of 8,689
Not sure how you arrived at this conclusion. They have the exact same impedance of 300 ohms. I’d say they’re equally hard to drive. I’d also say that the HA-2 is not powerful enough to drive them properly. It only outputs 30mw into 300 ohms. I would anything less than 100mw into 300 ohms is definitely underpowered.
Surely there are more factors then just the ohms though. I mean the driver itself of the hd800 is much bigger. I own a HA-2 and it drives my hd800 just fine. I would not call it exceptionally well driven or anything, but it decently provides a reasonable listening experience, nothing wrong with it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back