Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #4,486 of 8,771
I had a 600 for 10+ years, then a 650 for a few more years. Ran them on tube and solid state amps then picked up an 800S. The bass is not necessarily more but I heard differences in speed, texture and clarity.

If I have to be fully honest though, there's so much more to appreciate than the bass that unless you're a bass head, you may end up appreciating the overall package rather than just worrying about the bass. YMMV of course, just my opinion

Cheers,
i am close to getting a pair of hd800s, lots of posts of not much bass. can anyone comment on bass compared to senn 600's or the focal elear

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #4,487 of 8,771
i am close to getting a pair of hd800s, lots of posts of not much bass. can anyone comment on bass compared to senn 600's or the focal elear

The entire presentation of my 600 and 650 is more forward than the 800 S, so that would include the bass. The 800 S more graceful presentation "draws me in", where I experience truer timbre, top to bottom.

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #4,488 of 8,771
Sometimes, you run across a recording which sounds exceptionally good with a particular headphone. With the HD800S, try the track "Clap Clap" by Gilad Hekselman from the album "Ask for Chaos." The snare cracks perfectly, the cymbals tingle and sizzle just right, the bass punches, the sound of the guitar reveals every nuance, etc.

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #4,489 of 8,771
Without going through the entire thread, a quick question if I may please.
I’m thinking about this headphone but am running an MJ2 with Gumby Gen5.
Does anyone have this setup and if so,
How does it pair with the 800s?
I’d appreciate any feedback and would be most grateful.

Thanx

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #4,490 of 8,771
With the right tubes and balanced is one of the best matches.
You can have solid state flavour or more tubey sound depending on tube choice.
Gumby is warmish and a good tonality match with the HD800s.
Honestly is as good as it gets and you will have to pay a lot more if you want to gain let's say 5-10% more.
Eventually i sold my Gumby for a CD player but still using Mj2 with my HD800s.

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #4,491 of 8,771
I find it odd that I mostly listen to classical and instrumental music, yet I've owned the HD 800S twice and ended up selling them? What's going on with me. :p

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #4,493 of 8,771
I am too listening only to classical music and i find HD800s the best for that kind of music.
I prefer them to the Focal clear.

I just sold my HEKv2, but that was amazing for classical, especially ambient. I hope you get to try it out one day.

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #4,494 of 8,771
I should have mentioned I do listen basically to progressive metal, progressive rock and rock. Is the 800s ( not even talking about the amp/Dac at this point) a good fit for the genre I listen too?
I’m seriously considering picking these up but would like some info if the headphone with my gear and genres I listen to are a good match for the 800s.
Thank you @Ichos for the response

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #4,496 of 8,771
I should have mentioned I do listen basically to progressive metal, progressive rock and rock. Is the 800s ( not even talking about the amp/Dac at this point) a good fit for the genre I listen too?
I’m seriously considering picking these up but would like some info if the headphone with my gear and genres I listen to are a good match for the 800s.

I don't think the HD800S is a great choice for that particular genre..I listen jazz and classical most of the time, when I listen to say Rage Against the Machine, Guns&Roses or (early) Queen, I do prefer my Alara's..much more fun, way better (electronic) bass
For my genre I think the Sennheiser are unbeatable in its price range

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #4,497 of 8,771

I've listened to various genres with the HD800S, including those you mentioned. In my experience, the satisfaction with the HD800S depends very much on the recording. The HD800S presents recordings honestly and with much detail, which makes excellent recordings shine and poor recordings sound lacking or unpleasant.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #4,498 of 8,771
That is the answer I’m looking for. Progressive metal is one of those genres where most recordings are to say the least?....poor.
It was a nice and short lived thought anyways. Thanx for this “vital” feedback.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #4,499 of 8,771
I've listened to various genres with the HD800S, including those you mentioned. In my experience, the satisfaction with the HD800S depends very much on the recording. The HD800S presents recordings honestly and with much detail, which makes excellent recordings shine and poor recordings sound lacking or unpleasant.

Phronesis,

Isn't that the way it should be? I know when I want to listen to music, I want what I would call "Ear Candy"....whether it's the Artist or a particular Artist's Album...I want the best my system can do at the moment.....some old recordings...because of their recording age, don't sound as good as I wished for...but at least the system is giving me all that's there.... good or bad, I want the system to deliver exactly what's been recorded!

Mar 27, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #4,500 of 8,771
Phronesis,

Isn't that the way it should be? I know when I want to listen to music, I want what I would call "Ear Candy"....whether it's the Artist or a particular Artist's Album...I want the best my system can do at the moment.....some old recordings...because of their recording age, don't sound as good as I wished for...but at least the system is giving me all that's there.... good or bad, I want the system to deliver exactly what's been recorded!

I mostly agree, though I sometimes find that, with poorer recordings, less detail and/or a non-neutral tonal balance can be advantageous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back