Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 18, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #4,472 of 8,785
Outa here to enjoy my hd800S and back when the temperature drops a bit.

On another note, I’ve been trying different we settings in Sonarworks on the hd800s and have come away pretty happy with the spend. I especially like the fact that I can raise the bass quite a de dbs without distortion. I thought sonar works would be a gimmick but happy to report that it does a great job with the 800s to my ears.

On another side note, i usually game with closed cans, the other day i finally decided to play Heavy Rain on PS3... i know I’m crazy backlogged :). It rains pretty much permanently throughout with a pretty neat soundtrack. So I hooked up the PlayStation to the HDV820 and had the 800s running balanced, I felt like audio was being rendered perfectly in 3D and felt transported into the game world , I know it’s totaly overkill of course but man what a nice experience.

Any gamers here that had similar experiences with other games with great sound tracks?

Mar 18, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #4,473 of 8,785
It’s his fault, he’s a heretic.

He bought a h2 and then could tell it was different from mojo. Now the ultimate reductionists follow. Everything sounds the same. Which has to be false, because if I wrote a program to analyse sound waves, and it analyses different equipment it would say they create different sound waves for the same source material.

914nyG87YPL._SY445_.jpg

I don't think that movie deserves HD800s's

Mar 18, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #4,474 of 8,785
With all due respect, psychology and a discussion about the subject of what is perceived and what is factual is very much a part of this forum. We can disagree while still showing respect for others views or at least I d hope so.

Yes for sure but I feel that this discussion is not one that can be of any usage whatsoever for this thread. It's like discussing cables and burn in, different sides will never agree and therefore it's better suited for the sounds science part of this forum for those who can be bothered.

As I've already said I don't think it's the best for this thread.

Edit: these kind of discussions can pretty much apply to every single thread in here and to repeat it over and over again will make it pretty tiresome to follow the threads and hence the sound science forum exists.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #4,475 of 8,785
Outa here to enjoy my hd800S and back when the temperature drops a bit.

On another note, I’ve been trying different we settings in Sonarworks on the hd800s and have come away pretty happy with the spend. I especially like the fact that I can raise the bass quite a de dbs without distortion. I thought sonar works would be a gimmick but happy to report that it does a great job with the 800s to my ears.

On another side note, i usually game with closed cans, the other day i finally decided to play Heavy Rain on PS3... i know I’m crazy backlogged :). It rains pretty much permanently throughout with a pretty neat soundtrack. So I hooked up the PlayStation to the HDV820 and had the 800s running balanced, I felt like audio was being rendered perfectly in 3D and felt transported into the game world , I know it’s totaly overkill of course but man what a nice experience.

Any gamers here that had similar experiences with other games with great sound tracks?
It is sin to have HD800S and not watch movies, play games with it...
You have to try Alien Isolation game on it or any horror game, movie in general.

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #4,476 of 8,785
Thought I would change things up a bit on this thread and jot down some HD 800 S impressions, based on listening to music with them.

I've listened to (not owned) the HD 800 many times, in my rig and others, but it's been a pretty inconsistent experience, with various mods employed in the cans folks bring to meets or friends bring over.

Since I recently got an HD 800 S, and have probably 75-ish hours on them now, here are some thoughts. This is not at all a comprehensive review, more of a "here's what I think so far." They are in my desktop rig, Redbook files--Dante Ethernet/AES--Yggdrasil(B)--Woo WA6+(upgraded caps, volume, sockets).

First, an open presentation, a window into all the detail in the recording. Not detail that I "wouldn't hear" with, say, HD650, but texture, and touch that is more real and alive than with good mid-priced cans.

This is what I would expect of a flagship quality can. In comparison with some others I've had a chance to listen to in my system, my Stax 404LE, a Utopia, and an HE-1000, these have a very very slight lack of transparency, a bit of cloud cover through the entire midrange presentation. (Like the "v-word" that HD650 lovers hate) The Stax comparison is, of course, amp/can vs. different amp/can, so can really be thrown out, but the other two were in my system, so for me it's real. Thing is, it's such a slight softening that I end up not able to decide which I like "better".

Soundstage size and shape, the world I'm listening in, is incredibly natural. I've heard criticism that it's sometimes "too" wide with 800 series. Not here. Nick Drake's 'Pink Moon' is only a yard away and as wide as my desk. Opus 7 (choral) is huge and deep, as correct as I've heard it on cans, (but still not as huge as when I heard them in the cathedral). Jazz trios and quartets sound like great seats in a moderate size venue. R. L. Burnside's 'Burnside on Burnside' or Shaver's 'Unshaven' have beer hall ambience and are properly edgy and in my face.

Timbre is the real thing on every instrument. Piano is great, the touch is alive, whether it's macro or micro, hall or club. Guitar textures hugely vary in the same recording, depending on who's bending the notes. Horns brassy, saxes woody. Voices, usually center, are in space, natural sibilance is there, nothing beyond that. Leonard Cohen's growl is separate from the female support, but their relationship to each other is truly audible and felt.

Dynamic swings are plenty powerful, slam when present on the recording, yet natural and graceful.

At this point they are absolute keepers. In fact, considering the lofty prices of many flagships, a bargain? I think so.

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #4,478 of 8,785
Thought I would change things up a bit on this thread and jot down some HD 800 S impressions, based on listening to music with them.

I've listened to (not owned) the HD 800 many times, in my rig and others, but it's been a pretty inconsistent experience, with various mods employed in the cans folks bring to meets or friends bring over.

Since I recently got an HD 800 S, and have probably 75-ish hours on them now, here are some thoughts. This is not at all a comprehensive review, more of a "here's what I think so far." They are in my desktop rig, Redbook files--Dante Ethernet/AES--Yggdrasil(B)--Woo WA6+(upgraded caps, volume, sockets).

First, an open presentation, a window into all the detail in the recording. Not detail that I "wouldn't hear" with, say, HD650, but texture, and touch that is more real and alive than with good mid-priced cans.

This is what I would expect of a flagship quality can. In comparison with some others I've had a chance to listen to in my system, my Stax 404LE, a Utopia, and an HE-1000, these have a very very slight lack of transparency, a bit of cloud cover through the entire midrange presentation. (Like the "v-word" that HD650 lovers hate) The Stax comparison is, of course, amp/can vs. different amp/can, so can really be thrown out, but the other two were in my system, so for me it's real. Thing is, it's such a slight softening that I end up not able to decide which I like "better".

Soundstage size and shape, the world I'm listening in, is incredibly natural. I've heard criticism that it's sometimes "too" wide with 800 series. Not here. Nick Drake's 'Pink Moon' is only a yard away and as wide as my desk. Opus 7 (choral) is huge and deep, as correct as I've heard it on cans, (but still not as huge as when I heard them in the cathedral). Jazz trios and quartets sound like great seats in a moderate size venue. R. L. Burnside's 'Burnside on Burnside' or Shaver's 'Unshaven' have beer hall ambience and are properly edgy and in my face.

Timbre is the real thing on every instrument. Piano is great, the touch is alive, whether it's macro or micro, hall or club. Guitar textures hugely vary in the same recording, depending on who's bending the notes. Horns brassy, saxes woody. Voices, usually center, are in space, natural sibilance is there, nothing beyond that. Leonard Cohen's growl is separate from the female support, but their relationship to each other is truly audible and felt.

Dynamic swings are plenty powerful, slam when present on the recording, yet natural and graceful.

At this point they are absolute keepers. In fact, considering the lofty prices of many flagships, a bargain? I think so.

I consider the HD-800s as my end game ,I have all the 6 series from the 580s to the 650s.
I returned the 660s because the value just was not there for me but I am really hoping to get the HD-800s in the next few months and although I have heard and loved the original 800 I'm sure the updates to the HD-800s are going to fit my needs

Nice to see a review from a satisfied owner

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #4,479 of 8,785
The only phones I have an itch to hear that might displace my HD800S are the Raal SR1a. They do require a 150 watt speaker amp to drive and cost $3500 though. I talked to one owner who drives his SR1a successfully with a Schiit Vidar so entry price would be $4200 for phones plus amp but since the ribbons can be replaced easily they very well might be the last headphones anyone would have to buy. Since the company offers a 15 day return I might just get them in to compare against my well broken in HD800S.

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #4,480 of 8,785
The only phones I have an itch to hear that might displace my HD800S are the Raal SR1a. They do require a 150 watt speaker amp to drive and cost $3500 though. I talked to one owner who drives his SR1a successfully with a Schiit Vidar so entry price would be $4200 for phones plus amp but since the ribbons can be replaced easily they very well might be the last headphones anyone would have to buy. Since the company offers a 15 day return I might just get them in to compare against my well broken in HD800S.

Wow if I was able to blow that kind of cash i would buy another Harley

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #4,481 of 8,785
Wow if I was able to blow that kind of cash i would buy another Harley

I hear you. My motorcycle days are over but the condo I live in prevents me from setting up a great two channel system, just not enough room for proper speakers like Maggies. I may buy some good powered nearfield studio monitors but the cost would be as high as the SR1a phones. If the SR1a truly substitute well for speakers they would be worth the cost and avoid noise complaints from the neighbours:)

Mar 19, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #4,482 of 8,785
I hear you. My motorcycle days are over but the condo I live in prevents me from setting up a great two channel system, just not enough room for proper speakers like Maggies. I may buy some good powered nearfield studio monitors but the cost would be as high as the SR1a phones. If the SR1a truly substitute well for speakers they would be worth the cost and avoid noise complaints from the neighbours:)
I hear you I actually blew a window out of my living room back in my 30s and was asked to move the next day lol

Luckily i now have a house and even though I'm just south of 60 I still have a multichannel system that sometimes i scare the neighborhood with .

The reason I got back into Headphones is my wife although as understanding as they come does not appreciate my taste in music and my wife's parents live with us and they are in their 80s
but my father in law takes it in stride and he knows if the house is shaking my wife must be gone .

I have been on two wheels since I threw a leg over a mini bike back in 65 so im a ride till I die kinda guy.

I had a few pairs of Maggies over the years and the sound does not travel as bad as some small monitors because of the lack of Bass but you should still be able to have some smaller naggies or some Klipsch Heresy's
Try some room treatment such as well placed sound deadoning screens .

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #4,483 of 8,785

These phones remind me of the K1000s - which is why the HD800/HD800S is so comparatively attractive for most. And here's a factoid that's worth chewing over: with Dekoni lambskin pads, the HD800 suddenly has a lean, smooth bass. I believe the main attraction of upgrading to an HD800s is to get rid of the famed "6k peak." If you use the HD800s with EQ or an appropriate amp, there is no peak.

As much as I'd like to try (or own) the Raal SR1a, I think I'll stay with the HD800. The other options are too expensive or incremental for me.

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #4,484 of 8,785
i am close to getting a pair of hd800s, lots of posts of not much bass. can anyone comment on bass compared to senn 600's or the focal elear

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #4,485 of 8,785
i am close to getting a pair of hd800s, lots of posts of not much bass. can anyone comment on bass compared to senn 600's or the focal elear

Any chance of listening to a pair before you decide?to my ears it is more textured , goes deeper, is more tuneful and timbrally precise than the bass of HD650, but has a little less slam.Its lack of upper bass- lower mid spike and big soundstage give perhaps the impression of less bass presence so the music you listen to and the amp you re planning to pair them with are big deciding factors.

In my current set up it's more than enough, clear, impactful and seamlessly linear. Have I heard better? Yes, from the Abyss Phi but that's an extra £4000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back