Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 19, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #4,531 of 8,689
There seems to be a lot of different info about the sensitivity of the HD600 - but this seems to be the right info:

HD800S => 300 ohm, sensitivity 102 dB (1 Vrms) or approx 97 dB/mW SPL
HD600 => 300 ohm, sensitivity 102 dB (1 Vrms) or approx 97 dB/mW SPL

As I have both, it was pretty simply to perform a rough measurement with an SPL meter.

Driven from the VE Enterprise (tube amp) to ensure adequate voltage .....

I used test tones (1 kHz) and set the tube amp to output an 85 dB pure tone on the HD600. I then set the HD800s up exactly the same. The HD800S measured at just under 89 dB.

Of course this is pretty hard to get 100% accurate because I don't have a dummy head, and the HD600S sealed a little better on the rig I was using.

It indicates to me they are both pretty close though in terms of volume output. I wouldn't be concluding from this that the HD600 is "much easier to drive".

Apr 19, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #4,532 of 8,689
Even if two headphones are given the exact same impedance of 300 ohms, one of them can be harder to drive. The reason for this is because the impedance is the headphones or speakers nominal impedance*, e.g. average impedance.

With dynamic headphones (like the HD800 and HD600) impedance differ very much with frequency. The impedance of planar headphones is different and doesn’t vary with frequency. Planar magnetic headphones do not have a voice coil but rather a serpentine layout of traces on the diaphragm surface. As such, planar magnetic headphones are almost purely restive in nature, and have little reactive properties when driven. See measurements graphs and read Tyll Herten’s explanation here:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...ents-explained-electrical-impedance-and-phase

upload_2019-4-19_9-18-18.png

*Due to the reactive nature of a headphone or speaker's impedance over the audio band frequencies, giving a speaker a single value for 'impedance' rating is in principle impossible, as one may surmise from the impedance vs. frequency curve above. The nominal impedance of a loudspeaker is a convenient, single number reference that loosely describes the impedance value of the loudspeaker over a majority of the audio band.

Apr 19, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #4,533 of 8,689
Even if two headphones are given the exact same impedance of 300 ohms, one of them can be harder to drive. The reason for this is because the impedance is the headphones or speakers nominal impedance*, e.g. average impedance.

With dynamic headphones (like the HD800 and HD600) impedance differ very much with frequency. The impedance of planar headphones is different and doesn’t vary with frequency. Planar magnetic headphones do not have a voice coil but rather a serpentine layout of traces on the diaphragm surface. As such, planar magnetic headphones are almost purely restive in nature, and have little reactive properties when driven. See measurements graphs and read Tyll Herten’s explanation here:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...ents-explained-electrical-impedance-and-phase

*Due to the reactive nature of a headphone or speaker's impedance over the audio band frequencies, giving a speaker a single value for 'impedance' rating is in principle impossible, as one may surmise from the impedance vs. frequency curve above. The nominal impedance of a loudspeaker is a convenient, single number reference that loosely describes the impedance value of the loudspeaker over a majority of the audio band.

Of course, and this is why I prefer Brookos approach (actually testing thing in real life and measure it) over a lot of others here who just write their best guess without knowing much.....

Apr 19, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #4,534 of 8,689
Of course, and this is why I prefer Brookos approach (actually testing thing in real life and measure it) over a lot of others here who just write their best guess without knowing much.....

He said he used a 1 kHz test tone. I tried to explain that impedance can differ with frequency with dynamic headphones like the HD800 and HD600.

upload_2019-4-19_9-57-8.png

Apr 19, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #4,535 of 8,689
Both of them have a resonant driver frequency at 100 Hz. If anything - the HD800S is slightly easier to drive at this frequency. I can redo the test with a 100 Hz tone if anyone wants. I only used 1 kHz as its usually my go to frequency when matching headphones for a test.

Apr 19, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #4,536 of 8,689
He said he used a 1 kHz test tone. I tried to explain that impedance can differ with frequency with dynamic headphones like the HD800 and HD600.

So, how does your findings differ from his and what test method did you use?

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #4,537 of 8,689
Repeated same test with a 100Hz file. Understandably, it took a lot more power to get to even 70dB. Using same output power on the amp, the HD800S and HD600 were within 1 dB of each other with a 100 Hz test tone. This is pretty much bang on the resonant tone for the drivers (according to several on-line impedance graphs).

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #4,539 of 8,689
Back to sound quality... Will I notice a considerable improvement in sound quality when going from the 600 to the 800s?
Better bass extension, more transient speed, better definition and less haze through the upper mid-range. much wider perceived sound stage. I still like and use my HD600s, but I'd sell them before the HD800S.

Apr 19, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #4,540 of 8,689
I have heard the 800 and have been looking to buy one but what do the 800s offer different ?

The 800 can be had around $700 used with the 800s being at least $300 more are they worth the extra ?
I personally thought the original was very good but I definitely can not own both so anyone with experience with both please chine in.

Thanks
I have only heard the original 800 a few times and I did find it fatiguing, but nonetheless still a very worthwhile sound signature, just not my flavour. I owned and really loved the 800S. I personally found the tonal adjustment made to shift the signature enough that I did not find it fatiguing at all. I did boost the bass modestly via equalizing, but only enough to give a little more weight to the notes. I am sure you will get better feedback, but if the difference is only $300 I think the 800S is a sure bet. Consider resale value a few years out if you decide to try something new and need to use the funds from selling your current headphone. Will the 800 hold the value as much as the 800S? Hard to say, but for me personally I would be certainly favouring the 800S. I may even reacquire an 800S down the road. I loved how nimble it sounded and there was just a hard to define quality of energy in the sound that really appealed to me. I used it with both tubes and solid state and loved it both ways.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #4,541 of 8,689
I have only heard the original 800 a few times and I did find it fatiguing, but nonetheless still a very worthwhile sound signature, just not my flavour. I owned and really loved the 800S. I personally found the tonal adjustment made to shift the signature enough that I did not find it fatiguing at all. I did boost the bass modestly via equalizing, but only enough to give a little more weight to the notes. I am sure you will get better feedback, but if the difference is only $300 I think the 800S is a sure bet. Consider resale value a few years out if you decide to try something new and need to use the funds from selling your current headphone. Will the 800 hold the value as much as the 800S? Hard to say, but for me personally I would be certainly favouring the 800S. I may even reacquire an 800S down the road. I loved how nimble it sounded and there was just a hard to define quality of energy in the sound that really appealed to me. I used it with both tubes and solid state and loved it both ways.
Thanks ......that was. How I was leaning

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #4,542 of 8,689

Agreed. I'll only add that listening to HD800 at meets, they frequently had one mod or another, so were pretty inconsistent sonically. I just kept my eyes open and when I saw a sub $1k "S", I jumped on it. For me, it doesn't need anything.

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #4,543 of 8,689
So over 17,000 made/sold?

Compound that with the HD800 which have serial numbers in the 60,000 or 70,000 by now & I'd say Sennheiser must sold 100,000+ of the HD800 & S.
At $1500+ each, not too shabby.
I always understood that manufacturers messed around with serial numbers, making them not-serial numbers, so that competitors couldn't figure out sales volumes? I am surprised that they are even sequential.

Apr 21, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #4,545 of 8,689
I have heard the 800 and have been looking to buy one but what do the 800s offer different ?

The 800 can be had around $700 used with the 800s being at least $300 more are they worth the extra ?
I personally thought the original was very good but I definitely can not own both so anyone with experience with both please chine in.

Thanks
I'm a longtime owner of both. The 800 tends to be polarizing, some find it's sound signature too lean or bright for their taste.The 800S sound signature is more mainstream, it has a little more weight and is less fatiguing for many people. It's also less dependent on the quality of recordings and upstream equipment. I feel the 800S would be the safer bet for the majority of folks. As far as it's higher value in comparison to the 800, obviously the demand for the 800S is higher which would be another indicator of it's increased popularity over the 800. The only reason I keep the 800 around is for it's superb tonal accuracy and micro detail. However, the 800S tends to be more enjoyable at times and would definitely be the keeper if I ever decide to thin the herd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back