Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jul 26, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #3,676 of 8,689
Probably going to pick up another HD800S within a month or two. Usually I don't miss headphones much when they're gone, but the HD800S is always on my mind when I think about headphones. Would love to have it with my ADX5000.

Edit: Good example would be watching Blade Runner 2049 last night. Yea, it sounds awesome on the ADX5000, but the HD800S soundstage is perfect for lots of movies, tv, and gaming. Obviously it sounds incredible with all sorts of music too. That goes without saying.
I bought my second HD800S a few months ago. I was without one for about a year and always missed it. When I got the second pair it was really shocking how good it is in comparison to what I had while it was away.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #3,677 of 8,689
I bought my second HD800S a few months ago. I was without one for about a year and always missed it. When I got the second pair it was really shocking how good it is in comparison to what I had while it was away.
Oh yea. There is always the chance I will love it so much that I don't need the ADX5000 anymore, but I find the ADX5000 pretty special when it comes to speed and punch and will provide good contrast with its more intimate soundstage. The speed is something I don't recall from the HD800S. Never did get to compare directly. Compared to the Auteur I find the ADX5000 noticeably faster and punchier sounding. A little more snap to the percussion. A little more impact with the midbass. On the downside I believe the ADX5000 is a little hot in the treble and can add a little tizziness that shouldn't be there once in a while.

I am also particularly sensitive when it comes to comfort. While the HD800S is very comfortable I think the ADX5000 also likely wins there for me. Basically hardly touches the whole top of my head.

I think I sold my HD800S in January 2018. Not 100% certain. Definitely looking forward to reacquainting my ears with it. My memories probably aren't giving it enough credit.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #3,678 of 8,689
The hd800S is the most recycled hp I’m sure, well guessing. It’s a kinda hp that one thinks pastures are greener then you think twice after the fact. I’m not saying that susvara is not a better hp, different for sure, but couldn’t pull the trigger even with a 30% disc doing head to head. While one can find fault in any headphone, it’s your system really that’s the problem if you don’t like em... well not explained well but my take,

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #3,680 of 8,689
The hd800S is the most recycled hp I’m sure, well guessing. It’s a kinda hp that one thinks pastures are greener then you think twice after the fact. I’m not saying that susvara is not a better hp, different for sure, but couldn’t pull the trigger even with a 30% disc doing head to head. While one can find fault in any headphone, it’s your system really that’s the problem if you don’t like em... well not explained well but my take,
You're exactly right about the greener pastures. Because Sennheiser is very steady and not as flashy as some of the others they can seem less impressive but the sound quality is still near the top of the heap at all price points. Just look at the HD600/HD600!

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #3,681 of 8,689
I actually never had an issue with the HD800S. Not saying it's perfect, but I stupidly sold them while waiting for my Auteur pre-order to feel less bad about the cost of the Auteur, I suppose.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #3,682 of 8,689
The Auteur is a perfect example. It's a new model, hand made by a small company with a beautiful wood finish so it gets a lot of attention and is assumed to be superior. It's definitely a great headphone and quite different from the HD800S but not necessarily better sounding.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #3,683 of 8,689
The Auteur is a perfect example. It's a new model, hand made by a small company with a beautiful wood finish so it gets a lot of attention and is assumed to be superior. It's definitely a great headphone and quite different from the HD800S but not necessarily better sounding.
I love the Auteur. ZMF makes the best looking headphones to my eyes, and they also happen to sound excellent. In addition to that I find Zach very friendly and accommodating. I look forward to seeing them continue to grow.

The issue I have with ZMF headphones is the comfort. A lot of people find them plenty comfortable and even I was able to adapt to the Auteur for a while. Once I got my ADX5000 it was hard to continue using the Auteur due to comfort issues. That said, I am particularly sensitive to being bothering by hotspots on top of my head. A lot of people don't seem to suffer from these issues.

The HD800S does not have the best sort of headband design for my head. I love A-T's old wing system, full suspension systems, and whatever you call the ADX5000 system. That said the HD800S is quite light and also has that gap in the padding right on top of my head that helps quite a lot with comfort despite not being 100% ideal.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #3,684 of 8,689
I felt just like you after selling my HD800s to get a the Focal Utopia.. loooong story short I repurchased them... the headphones are great to have in any collection.

What did you miss when listening to the focal utopia ?

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #3,685 of 8,689
I've had a chance to audition them.
From what I remember the bass on the HD 800S is more present than the Auteur.
The Auteur is probably the most neutral headphone I've had a chance to hear though, if that's your cup of tea!

This is a review from reddit which I expected to be more in line with the auteur:

"
Comparison to HD800S
SB+++, B+, M+, T-

Compared to the HD800S, the Auteur exhibits:

Much deeper and much more satisfying sub-bass

More heft and control to the rest of the bass

Elevated and wetter/sweeter mids (more second-order harmonic distortion?)

A treble slightly less detailed but still ridiculously detailed

Moderately more intimate soundstage (but still wider than most headphones), likely due to the Eikon pads

Slightly less instrument separation amongst instruments of the same type, perhaps a consequence of the wetter sound

My Auteurs exhibit slightly less detail retrieval than the HD800S but also sound less "dry". For relaxed, fun music listening, the Auteurs are now my go-to. For more analytical music listening, or when I'm feeling more excitable or energetic, or when I long for a vast soundstage, I'll fire up the HD800S.

More subjectively, the Auteurs definitely lend a more emotional experience to the music. The sound feels more organic, the bass feels deeper and more refined, the mids sweeter and more memorable. In short, the Auteurs feel like they are fuller and have more body than the HD800S. That said, I don't think anything will ever reach the overwhelmingly vast expanse of sheer jawdropping detail and soundstage and complexity of the HD800S. These are distinctly different beasts for different moods."

Jul 26, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #3,687 of 8,689
I felt just like you after selling my HD800s to get a the Focal Utopia.. loooong story short I repurchased them... the headphones are great to have in any collection.
I feel the same way. The HD800S's are just a unique headphone. No other headphone can do what they do which makes them a keeper. Just add a little sub bass and it competes with just about any headphone in my opinion.

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #3,688 of 8,689
This is a review from reddit which I expected to be more in line with the auteur:

"
Comparison to HD800S
SB+++, B+, M+, T-

Compared to the HD800S, the Auteur exhibits:

Much deeper and much more satisfying sub-bass

More heft and control to the rest of the bass

Elevated and wetter/sweeter mids (more second-order harmonic distortion?)

A treble slightly less detailed but still ridiculously detailed

Moderately more intimate soundstage (but still wider than most headphones), likely due to the Eikon pads

Slightly less instrument separation amongst instruments of the same type, perhaps a consequence of the wetter sound

My Auteurs exhibit slightly less detail retrieval than the HD800S but also sound less "dry". For relaxed, fun music listening, the Auteurs are now my go-to. For more analytical music listening, or when I'm feeling more excitable or energetic, or when I long for a vast soundstage, I'll fire up the HD800S.

More subjectively, the Auteurs definitely lend a more emotional experience to the music. The sound feels more organic, the bass feels deeper and more refined, the mids sweeter and more memorable. In short, the Auteurs feel like they are fuller and have more body than the HD800S. That said, I don't think anything will ever reach the overwhelmingly vast expanse of sheer jawdropping detail and soundstage and complexity of the HD800S. These are distinctly different beasts for different moods."

The way you describe the Auteur is exactly how i feel about the HE-500 (rich, organic, natural, moist, full bodied, gravity is lower, mass is higher) compared to the HD800 (detail, soundstage, separation, drier, wow factor). Different purpose headphones depending on mood.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #3,689 of 8,689
After a bunch of testing and experimentation I made my subbass and bass ramp more modest and now have the best balance between giving the 800S a rich colour while still preserving probably 95% of the mid and treble detail. This is at least on my burson conductor SL 9018. I also use it for my HD650 which makes a bass thumpin party headphone! :D Also I do have the taction kannons coming so I'll probably think even the 650s are bass light soon lol.

In case anyone wants the subbass ramp (you know the foobar graphic equalizer plugin) its here: http://www.diabolicaldesign.net/SmodsbassHD800S_650.xgeq

Jul 28, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #3,690 of 8,689
I absolutely love my Focal Utopia, HD800s BUT until you experience in ear monitors you’re really missing out. The music ooooooozzzzes out and the music flows so effortlessly into my ears. 64Audio A18t and Tia Fourte just a totally different experience...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back