Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 5, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #3,346 of 8,689
Smooth trebles and increase lows with excellent soundstage ? I can tell you that this Cables is pretty awesome . It is oyaide Aug-Line. This is the version that I made and it is equal 23Awg per conductor, but you can buy an already made from Oyaide themselves with 26Awg per conductor, and import straight from Japan you need to use agent

Follow this link
Smooth trebles and increase lows with excellent soundstage ? I can tell you that this Cables is pretty awesome . It is oyaide Aug-Line. This is the version that I made and it is equal 23Awg per conductor, but you can buy an already made from Oyaide themselves with 26Awg per conductor, and import straight from Japan you need to use agent

Follow this link

How did the change of cable made your experience, any differences in sound?

May 5, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #3,347 of 8,689
Yes, much impacted is the soundstage. It gets much wider and deeper, better vivid resolutions.

Next up is bass, the deep bass rumbles are more pronounces, overall bass is very impactful and bloom when needed. Not to be mistaken with warmth, very transparent and clear

Then the nuances trebles details are with denser body and still sparkling but no more harshness or hard edges.

Anyways, try it for yourself, you would be more than impressed with it just like my experiences

May 5, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #3,348 of 8,689
Yes, much impacted is the soundstage. It gets much wider and deeper, better vivid resolutions.

Next up is bass, the deep bass rumbles are more pronounces, overall bass is very impactful and bloom when needed. Not to be mistaken with warmth, very transparent and clear

Then the nuances trebles details are with denser body and still sparkling but no more harshness or hard edges.

Anyways, try it for yourself, you would be more than impressed with it just like my experiences

Thanks, I will for sure order one. I think it will be from wire world.

Any tough on a mixed cable like silver and copper or is it better to go all silver. I have read that only silver could make the hp to be brighter in highs and might be more analytical while I am looking to improve low end and smoothe down the treble, I was recommended to go with silver and copper.
According to the specs of your cable its 23awg so if wire world is 27awg and have less conductors but very large, that could improve the sound??

May 5, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #3,349 of 8,689
My Cables is 23awg which is larger than the link I linked 26Awg which is larger than wireworld 27awg. The larger the more capable

Generally, you get sound signatures on different materials correctly. You can certainly go with silver/gold alloy or hybrid. Ultimately it depends on your system signatures, like the player, amp ?

May 5, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #3,350 of 8,689
consider silver litz type 6.
litztypes.jpg

May 5, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #3,351 of 8,689
consider silver litz type 6.
litztypes.jpg

Hmm I was thinking that higher the awg was meaning better quality for sound. But apparently not? The one I was opting for was copper and silver. I am still not an expert in cable and got confused even more now. I dont know witch to chose now. I know also moon audio has good options to and cheaper than wire world the store where I went told me that wire world was better than moon audio I dont know if thats true then.
Moon audio utilizing 21.5 awg for dragon black v2 and silver dragon has 24 awg for silver cord. Wire world is using all cables with 27 awg and 2 conductors with 8 strands. Question is whats the best pick? Moon audio because it has larger strands...?

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #3,352 of 8,689
My Cables is 23awg which is larger than the link I linked 26Awg which is larger than wireworld 27awg. The larger the more capable

Generally, you get sound signatures on different materials correctly. You can certainly go with silver/gold alloy or hybrid. Ultimately it depends on your system signatures, like the player, amp ?
Hi @Whitigir you might want to check this out: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/senn-hd800-ultimate-s-mod.879024/
I am not sure what to think of it, but you as a passionate modder...

May 15, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #3,354 of 8,689
I never thought a day would come when I would ever think it, but it happened.

Having not heard my HD800S in like almost a year, I had decided recently to put them back on. At this point I had not heard headphones in a long while, period. My KH120 monitors have been the main sound source of audio output, whether watching movies, or music. Their versatility, compact size and overall excellent sound quality...particularly in voice and dialogue reproduction when watching TV or movies had won me over.

So I put the HD800S on and hit play. I can't remember what was playing, but it was likely from one of todays biggest hits, which I thumbs up on....and the thumbs up becomes a playlist. I was startled at how massive the soundstage was! incredible! What!!! I never remembered them being like this?

....and I don't remember them having the same tonality as my KH120 monitors. The evidence suggest that I am actually listening to the speakers. Which of course I am.

Oh right...the preamp button on my headamp, forgotten all about that. Better hit that button to off shall we.

And with a click of a button...it all disappeared. Like a black hole had opened up in my brain and sucked everything in. Space itself...around the instruments specifically...had collapsed. All instruments stacked against one another compressed inside my head.

Where was it? where was that superior headphone sound...it simply was not there.

The moral to the story is two fold.

1. Not worth chasing "speaker like" soundstage with headphones, because...no, just don't do it without DSP.

2. Never ever use these mighty HD800S on Today's Biggest Hits volume 2. Luckily, I found some uncool, well recorded music with none of that brickwalled loudness rubbish (its definitely gettig worse) for which to appreciate the finer points of these simply lovely headphones with. Fortunately I did....because my immediate emotions upon the aforementioned experience was to toss all my headphones in the bin...which of course, I am so glad I did not.

May 16, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #3,358 of 8,689
HD800S for mainstream & R&B, good idea?

Running through Grace M9XX & AC CTH Hybrid.
Don't know your system but 800S is good for everything including r&b

May 16, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #3,360 of 8,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back