Sennheiser HD800 compared to Grado PS-1000, with Musical Fidelity M1 HPA.
Dec 17, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #31 of 36
Quote:
when i first heard the ps1000 vs the hd 800 at an audio store, i was left feeling the hd 800 was kinda dull and lacking, like boring sounding and not as good as ppl made it out to be. the ps1000 where more musical, upfront, and enjoyable.

however, now that i have my hd 800, i noticed they are more refined, pure, revealing, and open, but may not always be what people are looking for in music and ultimately, both are good at what they're good at doing.

i enjoy my hd 800s and when i have the money, i will definitely be adding the ps1000 into the list. i personally feel the ps1000 are as good as the hd 800 and the t1, each one has their own personality and presents the music in a different way. 

A well implemented PS1000 rig is probably very good, it's definitely a great headphone; but its sound sig serves an entirely different purpose. The PS1000's are probably the more enjoyable all-arounder, but it's hard to say. What the HD800 does well.. well, it does best imo.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 17, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #32 of 36
i enjoy my hd 800s immensely now as i get more used to their sound.

but its weird too that when i listened to the hd 800s at that store, it was off some fancy cd player and a lehmann black cube linear, supposably a really good amp with the hd 800s. but it sounded like crap, like my hd 800s sound nothing like those did that day, they where just very bland and made the ps1000s easily sound twice as good. hell, even the veiled original black driver hd 650s i heard that day sounded better.

i still don't know if it was just me, or if there was something wrong with the setup.

now with the WA6-SE or WA2, the HD 800s just sound so much better. just a transparency and soundstage unmatched by any other headphone i have/had.

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #33 of 36
Quote:
A well implemented PS1000 rig is probably very good, it's definitely a great headphone; but its sound sig serves an entirely different purpose. The PS1000's are probably the more enjoyable all-arounder, but it's hard to say. What the HD800 does well.. well, it does best imo.

Don't both headphones serve a similar purpose - to reproduce sound? They just do it differently.
Quote:

I'd like to add that from my experience with the PS1000's (and grados in general); an inherent trait of theirs is the in your face presence. Grado headphones are known for being in your face and a bit more aggressive, highs are thrown at you which makes them very dynamic. This is due to the distance of the driver to your ears. The GS/PS1000's are a bit different as the jumbo pads bring away the driver and creates a soundstage and better separation of instruments. However, it's more of a left-right soundstage, and depth is very lacking. 

Because of the lack of depth, you get the sensation that everything is mixed together (kind of like a large wall of sound is in front of you), but there's not much spacial imaging. The highs are therefore more prominent and instantly noticeable. The HD800 will have more distant highs (i.e cymbal crashes), as these sounds should be coming from behind you at a distance. It's more accurate but often less engaging. That's why the PS1000's are fantastic rock/pop headphones for those that consider themselves treble heads at the same time. (the alternative to me is the LCD2, but with bass presence instead).

This being said, what grokit said is also a large factor. Your source and equipment really play a big part with these kinds of headphones as well. A dac really helps define individual instruments and the separation between each of them. It also makes micro dynamics much more apparent, so those distant sounding highs on the HD800 are maybe not being "rendered" properly.

All of what I've said is going off by my memory of the PS1000's; but memory is not always accurate, so now I'm curious to hear them again. They definitely sound unique and polarizing compared to other headphones. I will ask my Grado representative to lend me his balanced recabled PS1000's and I will compare them with my HE6/HD800/LCD on the same equipment and let you know what I think.

Your recollection of the PS1000's presentation contrasts with my own experience. It has a majestic presentation compared to the Prestige and Reference series Grados - definitely not "in your face". Soundstage is only bettered by the HD800 IMO and that's high praise. Imaging and instrument separation are pretty damn impressive. It's resolving with a crystalline presentation that is unmatched by any other dynamic headphone I've heard. And it manages to do this without sounding too analytical. It retains that engaging musicality for which Grados are renowned. As much as I admire the HD800's technical capabilities, I'm afraid that I can't say the same for it.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #35 of 36
One caution to those who test Grado with other headphones: Grado is like cocaine. After hearing them, you would disregard the rest as overpriced, muddled junk, lol.  HD800 needs to be paired with a good amp, the best is of course their in-house model HDVD800. The soundstage of HD800 should trump any Grados. But people buy Grado because of their speed, airiness & sweet treble not for neutrality. Any head-fier should have at least 1 Grado in their collection. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back