Sennheiser HD800 compared to Grado PS-1000, with Musical Fidelity M1 HPA.
Sep 3, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovleylady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Although I'm not so in to measurements myself, there are some who are for various reasons.

Some are in to them because they help them validate their purchases.
But as I've learned, some people know what measurements they like a headphone to produce, and it helps them make good decisions.

Fair enough, but I just get weary of people chiming in with the measurements, trying to prove the listener "wrong". Music is a physical and emotion reaction to itself within the soul. Who's to tell me or anyone else how I should feel that? Colorations can be horrible distortions or they can be gravy and cheese sauce. It's music, not a lab report.

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #17 of 36
Here we go with the measurements again. Any time someone posts a review that either does not praise the HD800 or, heaven forbid, actually criticises it, out come the measuring devices.

Kudos to the OP for just enjoying the music and stating how the two headphones sounded to them.

Honestly, I mean't no offense. I just found the impression curious frankly.

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #18 of 36
Honestly, I mean't no offense. I just found the impression curious frankly.

I got that mate. :)

Fair enough, but I just get weary of people chiming in with the measurements, trying to prove the listener "wrong". Music is a physical and emotion reaction to itself within the soul. Who's to tell me or anyone else how I should feel that? Colorations can be horrible distortions or they can be gravy and cheese sauce. It's music, not a lab report.

Totally agree.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Here we go with the measurements again. Any time someone posts a review that either does not praise the HD800 or, heaven forbid, actually criticises it, out come the measuring devices.

Kudos to the OP for just enjoying the music and stating how the two headphones sounded to them.

lol

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #21 of 36
that ol' measurements v perception chestnut again.
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:
Honestly, I'd love to try the PS-1000; it's always been up there as one of the upper-tier phones. I really like the HD800's mid-range detail, sound stage, and comfort, but I wish there were a local dealer (or user) who has the PS-1000. 

Auditioning them would be a problem for most people unfortunately.

Quote:
wink.gif

Let's not try to crack it here :)

Cheers!

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:
wink.gif

I don't want to get all David Hume on you, but measurements are perceptions, and perceptions are measurements. Thus, one should put equal stock in both, if one puts stock in either. Personally, I listen from the void, disregarding both, but that takes years of intensive meditation. It also results in having no critical judgement whatsoever, and therefore dozens of pairs of headphones, except the ones that fly from my hands for reasons that can only be justified a posteriori. And now, I return to the thread...
bigsmile_face.gif

lovelylady, have you compared either headphone to the HD 700 by chance?

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:
lovelylady, have you compared either headphone to the HD 700 by chance?

Hi.
After I listened to the HD800s, I took a brief listen to the HD700s as well. I speeded through the same two CDs for about 40 minutes.
My impressions were that the HD700s was a totally pointless pair of headphones. The HD800s had better sound, comfort, looks and feeling of quality.
The difference in price is not that big, I can't find any reason for wanting the HD700s.
Due to the existens of the HD800s that is, not saying I found the HD700s to be bad.

I would however like to listen a lot more to the HD700s before making any final or more detailed claims, but first impressions was as stated above.

Thanks for reading, cheers!

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #27 of 36
How does the musical fidelity M1 HPA sound on itself, that is saying with no external dac?

Since it does have a usb input it must have some kind of dac inside of it, right?

The M1 HPA is, in my beliefs, a very typical SS amp, neutral.

The internal DAC of the M1 HPA is 16bit/44kHz. I haven't used it.
I would however expect it to be most excellent.

Cheers!

Very nice comparison, I would really like to try a PS1K myself sometime. I like the HD800 quite a bit out of my system but it's not my #1 headphone (I prefer the HE6, and perhaps my newly-acquired Lambda Pro but it's all pretty close).

Since no one has brought it up I will: The lack of detail you perceive with the HD800 is likely due to your DAC. I'm sure that the Xonar Essence ST is an excellent sound card but the HD800 is quite selective about source components. It's not just my opinion, there is a bit of consensus on this. Also while my MF XCANS+PSU is a great amp, it's a bit sharp up top (I've never heard the M1 but I can't help but I wonder if it shares a similar signature) and the HD800 seems to prefer tubes to decrease sharpness by consensus so it's a bit of a prima donna with the whole chain. Please be gentle with me...

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

I mostly, but not exclusively, noticed drums disappearing/getting too far away, it's there when you turn up the volume though, but then the rest gets too noisy.
I like to listen to quite low volume levels and that really didn't work with the HD800 for me. Maybe you like to turn it up a bit more?

I don't think there would be any dramatic differences with a different SS-amp and descent source, but I can't know for sure of course. I'd love to hear them with a tube amp.

Quote:
Since no one has brought it up I will: The lack of detail you perceive with the HD800 is likely due to your DAC. 

I'd like to add that from my experience with the PS1000's (and grados in general); an inherent trait of theirs is the in your face presence. Grado headphones are known for being in your face and a bit more aggressive, highs are thrown at you which makes them very dynamic. This is due to the distance of the driver to your ears. The GS/PS1000's are a bit different as the jumbo pads bring away the driver and creates a soundstage and better separation of instruments. However, it's more of a left-right soundstage, and depth is very lacking. 

Because of the lack of depth, you get the sensation that everything is mixed together (kind of like a large wall of sound is in front of you), but there's not much spacial imaging. The highs are therefore more prominent and instantly noticeable. The HD800 will have more distant highs (i.e cymbal crashes), as these sounds should be coming from behind you at a distance. It's more accurate but often less engaging. That's why the PS1000's are fantastic rock/pop headphones for those that consider themselves treble heads at the same time. (the alternative to me is the LCD2, but with bass presence instead).

This being said, what grokit said is also a large factor. Your source and equipment really play a big part with these kinds of headphones as well. A dac really helps define individual instruments and the separation between each of them. It also makes micro dynamics much more apparent, so those distant sounding highs on the HD800 are maybe not being "rendered" properly.

All of what I've said is going off by my memory of the PS1000's; but memory is not always accurate, so now I'm curious to hear them again. They definitely sound unique and polarizing compared to other headphones. I will ask my Grado representative to lend me his balanced recabled PS1000's and I will compare them with my HE6/HD800/LCD on the same equipment and let you know what I think.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 16, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #30 of 36
when i first heard the ps1000 vs the hd 800 at an audio store, i was left feeling the hd 800 was kinda dull and lacking, like boring sounding and not as good as ppl made it out to be. the ps1000 where more musical, upfront, and enjoyable.

however, now that i have my hd 800, i noticed they are more refined, pure, revealing, and open, but may not always be what people are looking for in music and ultimately, both are good at what they're good at doing.

i enjoy my hd 800s and when i have the money, i will definitely be adding the ps1000 into the list. i personally feel the ps1000 are as good as the hd 800 and the t1, each one has their own personality and presents the music in a different way. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back