Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Oct 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #5,822 of 6,607
Quote:
Excellent!

I assume the price is similar to the LCD's?

JJ

Quote:
I believe the price is the same.

Correct (I think). Just ask Steve. Listening to my Q Cable on my LCD-3s (and have one on for my HD800s) right now and loving it!

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #5,823 of 6,607
Quote:

Correct (I think). Just ask Steve. Listening to my Q Cable on my LCD-3s (and have one on for my HD800s) right now and loving it!

Yeah I'm still probably going to get one for the 800's.  I love the Q on my HE-6!  I think Steve's making the transition to terminating everything with mini-XLRs and just making 1" adapter cables for connecting to other things like HFM and HD800, 650, etc. (it's on the Q site.)  I think I got one of the last direct-terminated HFM cables. 

But there's an up-side because with the adapters I can get a set for HD800 and HD650 and swap the cable body around as needed
biggrin.gif
  Though I do love the Silver Dragon on my HD650s as well...

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #5,824 of 6,607
Quote:
I've had the Cardas as well as Zeus and don't think they are worth the money. They're nice cables and all as far as build quality
and looks, but I simply ended up trying out Q which resulted in me getting rid of everything else.

Thanks for the info.  Saved me a few hundred £'s there!  I'll look into the Q cable.

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #5,825 of 6,607
Tried EarMax Silver Edition Amp for HD800 and LCD2r2...

Really sweet though... 

basshead.gif

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #5,826 of 6,607
To which extent would the HD800 be an upgrade over the HD600 in my setup?

Currently my setup is this: PC--> Corda Cantate DAC/amp --> Sennheiser HD600 w. Cardas.

How much would I gain from a Sennheiser HD800, considering the Cantate isn't quite such a high-end DAC/Amp.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #5,827 of 6,607
You wouldn't get the full potential of the hyper-resolving capabilities of the HD800, and the HD800 could end up sounding a bit dry and clinical. You will gain better depth to head-stage. And then the treble might be difficult considering that you are already coming from Cardas cables with the HD600. Nope. It's not sounding good to me.

Then again, you make like it if you are the type of person who finds german toilets appealing.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #5,828 of 6,607
Quote:
You wouldn't get the full potential of the hyper-resolving capabilities of the HD800, and the HD800 could end up sounding a bit dry and clinical. You will gain better depth to head-stage. And then the treble might be difficult considering that you are already coming from Cardas cables with the HD600. Nope. It's not sounding good to me.

Then again, you make like it if you are the type of person who finds german toilets appealing.

That seriously needs to be a quote prominently displayed somewhere....
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #5,829 of 6,607

Okay, thanks for the input.

Can't say I get the toilet reference though...:xf_eek:

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #5,832 of 6,607
Quote:
Okay, thanks for the input.
Can't say I get the toilet reference though...
redface.gif

I learned about all this from Muppetface BTW. German toilets have shelf above the water where you are forced to examine all your **** before you flush it. It requires repeated flushings to get all the **** down.

This is the essence of the HD800. I appreciate the HD800s for this reason. But if anything is less than ideal, i.e. bad sushi, bad recordings, it's gonna be a ****ty experience. Some people dig this though. Others do not. And as I just implied, most dig this only if everything upstream is ideal (good chef, good sushi, good health, etc.)

EDIT: I'm not trying to steer you away. You may be the kind of person who likes to examine his own ****. I don't know. It seems doubtful though since I'm sure the Cardas cable is there for a reason with the HD600s.

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #5,833 of 6,607
Quote:

I learned about all this from Muppetface BTW. German toilets have shelf above the water where you are forced to examine all your **** before you flush it. It requires repeated flushings to get all the **** down.

This is the essence of the HD800. I appreciate the HD800s for this reason. But if anything is less than ideal, i.e. bad sushi, bad recordings, it's gonna be a ****ty experience. Some people dig this though. Others do not. And as I just implied, most dig this only if everything upstream is ideal (good chef, good sushi, good health, etc.)

EDIT: I'm not trying to steer you away. You may be the kind of person who likes to examine his own ****. I don't know. It seems doubtful though since I'm sure the Cardas cable is there for a reason with the HD600s.

Actually - you're not forced to examine your own ****.

The system is just a courtesy towards people with health problems.

If you don't have any health problems most normal people don't look down in the first place - unless you're the kind of person who likes to examine his own **** - lol.
biggrin.gif

(btw - how did we ever get this conversation here???)

I can see how this also applies to the HD800 - the information is there if you desire it.

Sometimes the information is good and sometimes the information is something you'd rather not pay attention to.

A large part of it is mental - the human mind sees what it wants to see, and hears what it wants to hear.

It is a common "audiophile curse" to always hunt for flaws while normal people just sit back and enjoy the music.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #5,834 of 6,607
Only the HD800 thread could spark a conversation on German potty habits
rolleyes.gif
Though it still seems on target, since I'll be using my HD800 on my Schiit.
evil_smiley.gif

HD800 is like German toilets in another way.  Out of the box it's downright nasty, but if you push the plateau at the top way down, it's as good as any other!
beerchug.gif

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #5,835 of 6,607

You have a unique way of expressing yourself, you do make a point, albeit with a very strange metaphor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back