Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Oct 26, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #5,791 of 6,607
Quote:
After spending a little over 24 hours with these, I must say I am stil incredibly pleased. I have been jumping between them and my Pro 900's and its amazing how much more detail these have. Can't wait for my Schiit gear to arrive. 

I do have one complaint though. I find the stock cable to be absolutely terrible. I dont think Ive ever had a cable coil up on me as much as this one.

Thank you! +1
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I'm anxious to get my 800's back from Sennheiser so I can see how they stack up against the HE-6 on the mojo/gung combo. I also got some dhc xlr interconnects made to warmen things a bit. I'll let you guys know; but all this talk is making me anxious to get my Sennie babies back!

Oooh you're in for an interesting and confusing debate :)  Not sure how HE-6 does on mojo yet, but overall both cans are a hard contest with each other.  I think I still prefer HE-6....but it's oh so hard to decide at times.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #5,792 of 6,607
Quote:

Oooh you're in for an interesting and confusing debate :)  Not sure how HE-6 does on mojo yet, but overall both cans are a hard contest with each other.  I think I still prefer HE-6....but it's oh so hard to decide at times.

Also if you invite the LCD-3 to the party you'll have three the hard way.  If you had to pick one - that could be a really had decision to make.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #5,793 of 6,607
Quote:

Thank you! +1
biggrin.gif

I think the HE6 and Mjolnir is a pretty good pairing. With the HD800 and HE6 on that amp it's a close match. I think the HE6 is slightly better in terms of synergy but its a very close call.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #5,794 of 6,607
Well before the mjolnir/gungnir, I slightly preferred my HE-6.. We shall see..

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #5,795 of 6,607
After having done some extended listening - mixing my current gear left and right, balanced cables vs SE, different amps, EQing vs no EQing etc - I'm moving up on the conclusion that the HD800 is the best headphone in the world (or at least up there in the top 3) but that Sennheiser voiced it slightly wrong.

The soundstage that the HD800 offers I believe to be the best in the world.

The build quality is stupendous.

The comfort is all day comfortable.

The technology is remarkable and innovative.

The principles behind the techology are logical and well founded.

Still - my conclusion is that without EQing to bring down the treble the HD800 quickly becomes fatiguing. But without EQing it is immensily enjoyable - beating all my other headphones (and previoulsy owned ones) overall.

Anyone else share this sentiment? That the HD800 is great but needs EQing?

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #5,796 of 6,607
Quote:
After having done some extended listening - mixing my current gear left and right, balanced cables vs SE, different amps, EQing vs no EQing etc - I'm moving up on the conclusion that the HD800 is the best headphone in the world (or at least up there in the top 3) but that Sennheiser voiced it slightly wrong.

The soundstage that the HD800 offers I believe to be the best in the world.

The build quality is stupendous.

The comfort is all day comfortable.

The technology is remarkable and innovative.

The principles behind the techology are logical and well founded.

Still - my conclusion is that without EQing to bring down the treble the HD800 quickly becomes fatiguing. But without EQing it is immensily enjoyable - beating all my other headphones (and previoulsy owned ones) overall.

Anyone else share this sentiment? That the HD800 is great but needs EQing?

I loved the HD800s from the moment I took them out of the package. I have actually never EQed them because I am accustomed to bright headphones from my upbringing teen years. I agree with you that it is extremely enjoyable and the best things about the HD800 are: dynamic sound that is really fast, the overall clarity (it seems like looking through a transparent glass at a painting, no blurs to block your vision), the enormous 3D sound stage which increases your enjoyability because, who doesn't like a good sound stage when listening to music? I know I do. The most important variable is the comfort which is just magnificent and beats every can I have ever tried.

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #5,797 of 6,607
I tried equalizing - reducing treble peak and adding a small amount of bass but its not HD800 any more and HD800 ceases to be unique

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #5,798 of 6,607
Oct 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #5,799 of 6,607
I'm looking for aftermarket cable Zeus OCC Copper. But can't understand, is there a reason to overpay for Quad22 cable?

This is a link http://aphroditecu29.com/Zeus/OCC_Copper_Headphone_Cable.aspx

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #5,800 of 6,607
I tried equalizing - reducing treble peak and adding a small amount of bass but its not HD800 any more and HD800 ceases to be unique

When I EQ'd the HD 800 to flat it sounded very like the HD 600 but with a wider soundstage. These days my favourite way of tweaking the sound of the HD800 is by changing the cable. :)

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #5,801 of 6,607
Oct 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #5,802 of 6,607
Oct 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #5,803 of 6,607
Quote:
When I EQ'd the HD 800 to flat it sounded very like the HD 600 but with a wider soundstage. These days my favourite way of tweaking the sound of the HD800 is by changing the cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Macbook Pro -> JPS Labs Ultraconductor Optical Digital Cable -> Lavry DA10 -> Moon Audio Black Dragon cable -> Sennheiser HD 800
This makes me go wow right now! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back