Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Sep 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #5,476 of 6,607
Quote:
Got Burson 160 DS and HD 800 but sound doesnt do much , whats envelope and Soundstage is it 3d ? do you have to have really good ears to tell  ?

Just take your sweet time listening, then after a few weeks go back to a lesser headphone. If you can't tell the difference at that point, perhaps take a good look at your source material.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #5,477 of 6,607
Quote:

Just take your sweet time listening, then after a few weeks go back to a lesser headphone. If you can't tell the difference at that point, perhaps take a good look at your source material.

it only has about 2 hours on the headphones and 1 hour on the amp so  i prob need to burn them in for 160 hours  ? better headphone cables ?

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #5,478 of 6,607
Don't worry about how many hours it's been.  Just sit back and enjoy your favorite tunes.  By the time you turn around you would have put a good amount of time on them.  Then the next day see if you can tell any difference.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #5,479 of 6,607
Quote:
Don't worry about how many hours it's been.  Just sit back and enjoy your favorite tunes.  By the time you turn around you would have put a good amount of time on them.  Then the next day see if you can tell any difference.

When you have balanced cables what does that mean ? i notice balanced cables have 2 plugs and the 3 pin XLR connection

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #5,481 of 6,607
Quote:
Quote:

When you have balanced cables what does that mean ? i notice balanced cables have 2 plugs and the 3 pin XLR connection

With your Burson it would mean that you couldn't plug your headphones in to it. It's a single-ended unit.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #5,482 of 6,607
Quote:

With your Burson it would mean that you couldn't plug your headphones in to it. It's a single-ended unit.

Unless you get one of these:

0050010002_3205.jpg

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #5,483 of 6,607
Right, but what would be the point? Just to try a different cable/wire material I suppose, although there would be no benefit to going balanced until a balanced amp is used.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #5,484 of 6,607
Quote:
Right, but what would be the point? Just to try a different cable/wire material I suppose, although there would be no benefit to going balanced until a balanced amp is used.

Agreed.

I actually have a balanced 3pin XLR cable for my LCD-3s and HD800s (to work with my GS-X), but also have a Q Audio cable adapter above for use with my LF.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #5,485 of 6,607
I would have never guessed that was a Q, without the shoelace sheathing.

Have you compared the stock cables to the balanced Q + SE adapter with the GS-X?

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #5,486 of 6,607
Quote:
I would have never guessed that was a Q, without the shoelace sheathing.

Have you compared the stock cables to the balanced Q + SE adapter with the GS-X?

That one wasn't a Q cable...I'm too lazy tonight to photograph mine. 
tongue.gif

I have compared my stock cables (both HD800s and LCD-3s) with my Q Cable + adapter...and let's just say I'm a happy man with the Q Cables. 
wink.gif

Ergonomically, nothing beats the Q Cable. Sonically very detailed and transparent compared to the stock LCD-3 cable and not as strident as the HD800 stock cable.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #5,487 of 6,607
Cool, I was just wondering if using the adapter evened up the scales a bit. I would think that using an adapter could affect the ergonomics, or at lease put unwanted strain on the LF TRS jack unless it's resting on the amp table/shelf.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #5,488 of 6,607
Quote:
Cool, I was just wondering if using the adapter evened up the scales a bit. I would think that using an adapter could affect the ergonomics, or at lease put unwanted strain on the LF TRS jack unless it's resting on the amp table/shelf.

Funny you should mention that. I did sell my Q Audio Single Ended cable AFTER i got my balanced cable w/ adapter...I could hear zero differences between them FWIW. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #5,490 of 6,607
Quote:

Why do you say that? 

There's no benefit to dual 3 pins and it's a PITA.  4pin is the currently more prolific and current favorite child while dual 3 pins is more of a Headroom legacy format.  Not to mention dual 3 pins are cumbersome and unwieldly if you ever want to use adapters.  Maybe some will say dual 3 pins offer vastly superior performace to a single 4 pin?  Haven't heard it yet but I'm always willing to listen.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back