Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Sep 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #5,491 of 6,607
Quote:

There's no benefit to dual 3 pins and it's a PITA.  4pin is the currently more prolific and current favorite child while dual 3 pins is more of a Headroom legacy format.  Not to mention dual 3 pins are cumbersome and unwieldly if you ever want to use adapters.  Maybe some will say dual 3 pins offer vastly superior performace to a single 4 pin?  Haven't heard it yet but I'm always willing to listen.  
biggrin.gif

Thought you would have had some other reason. I never liked the dual 3 pin XLR for those reasons and the 4 pin is much more convenient. I think most amps come with either the 4 pin or if they are nice both the 4 pin and the dual 3 pins.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #5,493 of 6,607
Just recently got in the following amp and tried my HD-800's with them, and like wow!, for such an inexpensive amp - must be the extensive mods put into this Franken ZERO dual D/A converter with the Prickely Peete three stage mod.  Unbelievable SQ and power to spare.

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #5,494 of 6,607
Quote:
Yep I have the Complement from when they were originally released, actually the big bulky ones.  I have heard the Zeus on different phones and it does sound great, and indeed comparable.  Both the owners are great though with solid products, so either way you will be doing well.

Better than MA Black Dragon?

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #5,496 of 6,607
Does anyone if the HD800 cable can be reterminated into a balanced cable? I think I may have my cable terminated into a 4 pin XLR and then made into an adapter to SE

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #5,499 of 6,607
Quote:
Does anyone if the HD800 cable can be reterminated into a balanced cable? I think I may have my cable terminated into a 4 pin XLR and then made into an adapter to SE

Yup.  Mine and CeeTee's were done just so.  What you mentioned should be considered SOP around these parts.

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #5,500 of 6,607
Quote:

There's no benefit to dual 3 pins and it's a PITA.  4pin is the currently more prolific and current favorite child while dual 3 pins is more of a Headroom legacy format.  Not to mention dual 3 pins are cumbersome and unwieldly if you ever want to use adapters.  Maybe some will say dual 3 pins offer vastly superior performace to a single 4 pin?  Haven't heard it yet but I'm always willing to listen.  
biggrin.gif

Can't understand why anyone would want to use a 4-pin XLR - especially as they are in common use for DC power connections.
confused_face_2.gif

A 5-pin would be very much better - standard wiring =
pin-1 = screen
pin-2 = +ve Left
pin-3 = -ve Left
pin-4 = +ve Right
pin-5 = -ve right

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #5,501 of 6,607
Quote:

The HD800 cable is already fully balanced - other than the unbalanced jack.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #5,502 of 6,607
Excellent. It's also a good time to have it shortened by a few feet. Too bad I have no soldering skills so have to send it to someone.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #5,503 of 6,607
What? 4 Pin XLR is the preferred termination for balanced amps...

Quote:

Can't understand why anyone would want to use a 4-pin XLR - especially as they are in common use for DC power connections.
confused_face_2.gif

pin-1 = screen
pin-2 = +ve Left
pin-3 = -ve Left
pin-4 = +ve Right
pin-5 = -ve right

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #5,504 of 6,607
Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

pin-1 = screen
pin-2 = +ve Left
pin-3 = -ve Left
pin-4 = +ve Right
pin-5 = -ve right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back