Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Sep 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #5,506 of 6,607
Hi All,

I just became the latest owner of the Sennheiser HD800's. They arrived at house today but I'm at work so I can't enjoy them just yet. My plan is to build around them starting with a good DAC. I found a demoed version of the PS Audio Digital Link III that I"ve read good things about.My next move is to have the Cullen Stage IV mods done to it. Since I got a good deal on the DLIII I figure the Mods is a no brainer.

My next purchase will be the Woo Audio WA6SE. I choose this amp over the WA22 since it pairs well with IEM's and other headphones. After that maybe a cable upgrade then I'll be all set. The cable is last on the list because I want to see what the equipment upgrade brings to the table before I think about making a cable change. I'm hoping the cable change won't be necessary. Are my choices for associated equipment good ones?

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #5,507 of 6,607
After evaluating the Audez'e LCD-2, I pulled the trigger on the HD800s.  They should arrive on Friday.  Let the break-in begin!

beyersmile.png

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #5,508 of 6,607
Quote:
After evaluating the Audez'e LCD-2, I pulled the trigger on the HD800s.  They should arrive on Friday.  Let the break-in begin!

beyersmile.png

Good choice, especially with the m903 (in the short term, at least). It's a combo that I could easily live with as my only rig. Not the last word in detail resolution, but very musical and enjoyable.

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #5,509 of 6,607
Quote:
Hi All,

I just became the latest owner of the Sennheiser HD800's. They arrived at house today but I'm at work so I can't enjoy them just yet. My plan is to build around them starting with a good DAC. I found a demoed version of the PS Audio Digital Link III that I"ve read good things about.My next move is to have the Cullen Stage IV mods done to it. Since I got a good deal on the DLIII I figure the Mods is a no brainer.

My next purchase will be the Woo Audio WA6SE. I choose this amp over the WA22 since it pairs well with IEM's and other headphones. After that maybe a cable upgrade then I'll be all set. The cable is last on the list because I want to see what the equipment upgrade brings to the table before I think about making a cable change. I'm hoping the cable change won't be necessary. Are my choices for associated equipment good ones?

i recommend you to upgrade the ubilical cord with one made out of Neotech OCC copper chasis wire. It has made a nice difference in my WA5-LE and Dark Star.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #5,510 of 6,607
Quote:
Can't understand why anyone would want to use a 4-pin XLR - especially as they are in common use for DC power connections.
confused_face_2.gif

Don't plug your phones into DC power connectors then.  I know us guys like to plug into the first hole we see, but..... 
wink_face.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #5,511 of 6,607
Quote:
Hi All,

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe that these mods are being performed any more (since the integration of Cullen into the Wyred4Sound enterprise). I know W4S still supports previously modded units -- I sent mine back to replace an LED about two years ago -- but my understanding was that the W4S DAC2 was intended to replace the modded DLIII in their product lineup. Maybe call W4S and ask?

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #5,512 of 6,607
Quote:

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe that these mods are being performed any more (since the integration of Cullen into the Wyred4Sound enterprise). I know W4S still supports previously modded units -- I sent mine back to replace an LED about two years ago -- but my understanding was that the W4S DAC2 was intended to replace the modded DLIII in their product lineup. Maybe call W4S and ask?

I talked to Clint at Wyred4Sound already and he informed me that they are still doing the mods. He said that they have done a hand full of them in the last year or so. But of course he tried to persuade me to get the DAC-1 but I told him that I got a good deal on the DLIII and he understood.

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #5,513 of 6,607
Quote:

i recommend you to upgrade the ubilical cord with one made out of Neotech OCC copper chasis wire. It has made a nice difference in my WA5-LE and Dark Star.

Hi Musicman59,

Who would you recommend for a Neotech OCC copper wire cord? Is it a DIY type cord?

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #5,514 of 6,607
Quote:
I talked to Clint at Wyred4Sound already and he informed me that they are still doing the mods. He said that they have done a hand full of them in the last year or so. But of course he tried to persuade me to get the DAC-1 but I told him that I got a good deal on the DLIII and he understood.

Good to know, thanks. Clint's a good guy. I sometimes regret selling my Level 4-modded DLIII -- a very enjoyable piece of kit.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #5,515 of 6,607
Interesting to see this thread currently on the topic of cables. Earlier tonight I tried the Fostex TH 900 for the first time - albeit out of my iPhone - and was enjoyably impressed (I just posted some brief impressions on the TH 900 thread if anyone's interested). When I got back to my place I was keen the listen to the HD 800 to see how it compared and am still very impressed by the HD 800.

When listening to my Moon Audio Black Dragon-cabled HD 800, it was clear to me that the stock TH 900 had boomier bass, probably due to its closed back design, and was slightly less of a musical microscope than the HD 800. For some reason the TH 900's instrument separation impressed me more than what I was hearing from the HD 800 with the Black Dragon. When that occurred to me I had the inclination to switch back to the stock cable and when I did was really, really impressed. Returning to the stock cable has taken the HD 800 up a level in clarity and the instrument separation is now much more distinct.

One thing I realise and really appreciate when listening with the stock-cabled HD 800 is the excellence of the the HD 800's bass presentation. Though the Black Dragon cable gives the HD 800 fuller sounding and slightly weightier bass, it sounds like the sonic image is slightly smudged and less refined compared to the stock cable, with which the resonance / moving of the air sounds perfect - I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing right now as I listen to a great jazz fusion CD called Human Element, which I highly recommend for anyone into such music.

It will be interesting to hear how my hearing responds to the stock HD 800, as when I first got the HD 800 I listened at louder volume levels and experienced ringing in my ears after listening with the HD 800, but since I now listen at much lower volume levels I'm curious to see what happens as I give the stock cabled HD 800 more head time. So far, so fab!

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #5,516 of 6,607
Quote:
Interesting to see this thread currently on the topic of cables. Earlier tonight I tried the Fostex TH 900 for the first time - albeit out of my iPhone - and was enjoyably impressed (I just posted some brief impressions on the TH 900 thread if anyone's interested). When I got back to my place I was keen the listen to the HD 800 to see how it compared and am still very impressed by the HD 800.

When listening to my Moon Audio Black Dragon-cabled HD 800, it was clear to me that the stock TH 900 had boomier bass, probably due to its closed back design, and was slightly less of a musical microscope than the HD 800. For some reason the TH 900's instrument separation impressed me more than what I was hearing from the HD 800 with the Black Dragon. When that occurred to me I had the inclination to switch back to the stock cable and when I did was really, really impressed. Returning to the stock cable has taken the HD 800 up a level in clarity and the instrument separation is now much more distinct.

One thing I realise and really appreciate when listening with the stock-cabled HD 800 is the excellence of the the HD 800's bass presentation. Though the Black Dragon cable gives the HD 800 fuller sounding and slightly weightier bass, it sounds like the sonic image is slightly smudged and less refined compared to the stock cable, with which the resonance / moving of the air sounds perfect - I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing right now as I listen to a great jazz fusion CD called Human Element, which I highly recommend for anyone into such music.

It will be interesting to hear how my hearing responds to the stock HD 800, as when I first got the HD 800 I listened at louder volume levels and experienced ringing in my ears after listening with the HD 800, but since I now listen at much lower volume levels I'm curious to see what happens as I give the stock cabled HD 800 more head time. So far, so fab!

smily_headphones1.gif

What you've heard Windsor is the effect of copper cables. The HD800 was designed with its silver-plated copper cord in mind, which tightens/focuses/speeds up the sound. More silver = more transparency and speed. This is exactly why, after owning many aftermarket offerings, I've stuck with pure silver for the Senns.

Only downside is silver is absolutely unforgiving. It will not pleasantly colour everything like copper, and will benefit much more from a good system, with which it will sound better than any other material.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #5,517 of 6,607
Quote:
What you've heard Windsor is the effect of copper cables. The HD800 was designed with its silver-plated copper cord in mind, which tightens/focuses/speeds up the sound. More silver = more transparency and speed. This is exactly why, after owning many aftermarket offerings, I've stuck with pure silver for the Senns.

Only downside is silver is absolutely unforgiving. It will not pleasantly colour everything like copper, and will benefit much more from a good system, with which it will sound better than any other material.

When I bought the copper cable for the HD 800, I wanted more bass impact in a way I'd probably describe as 'bigger bass,' which in some ways I got. These days I'm much more relaxed as a person and much more open to hearing headphones/music and life in general. After about an hour with the stock silver cable, I'd definitely say that the HD 800's overall presentation sounds more enjoyably natural and true than with copper-cabling. It seems to me that Sennheiser got the HD 800 right straight out of the box. 

On another note, I'm really looking forward to hearing the HDVA 600; I have a hunch that Sennheiser will most probably get that right too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #5,518 of 6,607
So that's what happened to Cullen.

Can't understand why anyone would want to use a 4-pin XLR - especially as they are in common use for DC power connections.
confused_face_2.gif

That's for lighting rigs I think. I tried a 4-pin lighting cable extension once, to see if it would transmit sound as a balanced headphone cable connection. It was a no go, they must be wired differently.

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #5,519 of 6,607
Quote:
So that's what happened to Cullen.

That's for lighting rigs I think. I tried a 4-pin lighting cable extension once, to see if it would transmit sound as a balanced headphone cable connection. It was a no go, they must be wired differently.

I read that Rick Cullen and EJ Sarmento co-founded Wyred4Sound. He's doing all the testing of their products before they are sold. This probably explains why they are able to still do the Stage III and Stage IV modifications there.

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #5,520 of 6,607
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

That's exactly why that will be the very last thing I will look at upgrading. The stock cable is very good already from what I have read. If I so happen to upgrade it I'm looking at the Stefan Art Endorphin or the ALO Reference 8 or 16 silver/copper cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back