Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Feb 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #2,821 of 6,607

Drinking and reviewing headphones for a website = winning combination.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #2,822 of 6,607
I like how most of their FR graphs don't go below 100Hz.  Must not be important then.  Right? 
wink_face.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #2,825 of 6,607

Quote:
How does the DT990 get a 0.5/10 in usability?  Do they not fold his clothes or something?  Who the hell are those people??

What the heck is this category?  Not to mention they must have cut and paste from the 650 page and forgot to update it to 800...  Not to mention the categories are not the same from headphone to headphone, so how do the scores work?

And I quote...

"Customizability (2.50)

There really isn’t a lot of customization available for the HD 650s. You can tilt and swivel the ear cups slightly and the band can extend. There aren’t any additional add-ons or optional accessories included in the box."

Should they have a 10MP camera option??  Should they include a free flashlight add-on so you can see in the dark with them?

Wait!!  Now I understand... get the the bottom of the "About Us"... THEY USE ROBOTS!  That explains everything.

About

HeadphoneInfo.com was launched in early April 2008 to help consumers navigate through the growing and confusing world of headphones.
With the explosion in popularity of portable music and media players, typically bundled with poor quality headphones, more people are realizing the value of investing in a good pair of headphones to improve their music listening experience.
HeadphoneInfo.com focuses on using the scientific method for reviewing and analyzing all headphone types. We use testing software and state of the art testing equipment that you can read about in our How We Test article. Our tests are designed to help readers deconstruct the performance of any pair of headphones and guide them through their purchasing decision.
We believe that tough, objective, and standardized reviews are the best way to analyze any product, including headphones. That’s why each pair of headphones, whether they be $50 or $500, gets the same standardized treatment and analysis at HeadphoneInfo.com. We do this to ensure that you can cross-compare our reviews, and also to ensure fairness in our testing.
We also believe that it is critical to base our reviews on the merits of any pair of headphones, and noting else. That’s why we have a strict ethics policy. All of our contributors and editors must abide by this ethics policy, which demands strict separation between our editorial and advertising departments, that our editors refuse all gifts and that we don’t go on press junkets from companies. We are here to provide reviews that base their recommendations on your best interest as users, and nothing else.

The Staff

Mark Brezinski

Editor in Chief
Mark Brezinski has been using robots to objectively review headphones since 2008. In addition to HeadphoneInfo.com, he also oversees TelevisionInfo.com and VideoProjectorInfo.com, both of which also use robots.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #2,826 of 6,607
That is an awful site (though pretty well designed aesthetically speaking) with awful reviews. It should be one of the last places anyone goes to for advice on cans. I woulnd't be surrpised if it was a robot reviewing them, and just randomly picking out numbers lol.

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #2,828 of 6,607
Feb 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2,829 of 6,607

Quote:
I want to see the frequency response graph of my pair, but how? It says in the manual you can view it on sennheiser's website but I can't find it... 

As far as I'm aware, you can't view the graph - but they will send you a printed certificate with your individual graph.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #2,830 of 6,607
It's funny I was never particularly impressed with the sound quality of Dark Side of the Moon until I listen to them on my HD800s. Something about my HD650s just didn't really bring out the best of it I think. On the HD800s I'm impressed by the subtle sound effects, imaging, etc. I still don't think the sheer detail and fidelity is as good as people hype it up to be (I have some guitar acoustic recordings so much more detailed) but it's certainly very good.

Also I've been taking a liking to Dream Theater more and more lately (I'm still discovering more and more music having been rather music-isolated in the past), and I find the HD800s particularly amazing for them.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #2,831 of 6,607

Quote:
It's funny I was never particularly impressed with the sound quality of Dark Side of the Moon until I listen to them on my HD800s. Something about my HD650s just didn't really bring out the best of it I think. On the HD800s I'm impressed by the subtle sound effects, imaging, etc. I still don't think the sheer detail and fidelity is as good as people hype it up to be (I have some guitar acoustic recordings so much more detailed) but it's certainly very good.

Also I've been taking a liking to Dream Theater more and more lately (I'm still discovering more and more music having been rather music-isolated in the past), and I find the HD800s particularly amazing for them.

Try 'Jazz at the Pawnshop' if you want one of the most immersive small jazz outfit experiences - it's very famous in HiFi circles for a reason.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #2,832 of 6,607

Quote:

Which version of DSoTM?

Quote:
 Try 'Jazz at the Pawnshop' if you want one of the most immersive small jazz outfit experiences - it's very famous in HiFi circles for a reason.

One of the very best jazz CDs out there and truly reference quality!

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #2,833 of 6,607
Has anyone done a comparison of the SQ of an early model vs later model to judge if the supposed extra 2-3db of bass on later models is apparent? I'm intrigued since I've got #654, with the frequency graph showing +3db at 100hz. Using with a Benchmark DAC1 and Sugden HA4 which sounds great but I could use a bit more bass slam and presence.

I'm also intrigued that Sennheiser say there's no change in sound despite the measurements not backing that up.

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #2,834 of 6,607

Quote:
Has anyone done a comparison of the SQ of an early model vs later model to judge if the supposed extra 2-3db of bass on later models is apparent? I'm intrigued since I've got #654, with the frequency graph showing +3db at 100hz. Using with a Benchmark DAC1 and Sugden HA4 which sounds great but I could use a bit more bass slam and presence.
I'm also intrigued that Sennheiser say there's no change in sound despite the measurements not backing that up.

That's an old wives tale I think. Shahrose has compared very early models and fairly recent...both sounded the exact same.

EDIT: Update PM from Shahrose:

"According to the frequency response thread, some of the HD800s below about SN 1500 did actually have a flatter bass (lower SPL), but at the same time had a smaller 6KHz peak as well."

Thanks Shahrose.

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #2,835 of 6,607

Quote:

I've read some rumors that Jan Meier claimed a 2-3 dB increase in bass on SN 10xxx and beyond.  I emailed him about this and he said he has not noticed any sonic differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back