Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Feb 5, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #2,806 of 6,607
These headphones are AMAZING.

Just for fun I tried EQ boosting the deep bass 0-50hz, and I am blown away by the sheer quality AND quantity of sub-bass these can put out. Those of you who are EQ purists: you're missing out. This is just incredible for video games, particularly Battlefield 3 (my favorite -- the best sonically as well as visually by FAR of any video game today). Explosions literally rumble. Detail/treble is not sacrificed even slightly. Wow.... This is amazing. Edit: Wow, the rumble of a jet engine is crazy.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #2,807 of 6,607
This is just incredible for video games, particularly Battlefield 3 (my favorite -- the best sonically as well as visually by FAR of any video game today). Explosions literally rumble. Detail/treble is not sacrificed even slightly. Wow.... This is amazing. Edit: Wow, the rumble of a jet engine is crazy.

And they are great for soundwhoring too

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #2,808 of 6,607

Quote:
These headphones are AMAZING.

Just for fun I tried EQ boosting the deep bass 0-50hz, and I am blown away by the sheer quality AND quantity of sub-bass these can put out. Those of you who are EQ purists: you're missing out. This is just incredible for video games, particularly Battlefield 3 (my favorite -- the best sonically as well as visually by FAR of any video game today). Explosions literally rumble. Detail/treble is not sacrificed even slightly. Wow.... This is amazing. Edit: Wow, the rumble of a jet engine is crazy.

No way man, have you played Bubble Bobble

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #2,809 of 6,607
Boosting 0-50hz sounds way too bass saturated for music, but has anyone noticed that sometimes classical music sounds better with a 0-30hz boost? It does sound unnaturally sub-bassy but I think in some ways it psychologically compensates for the lack of natural chest vibrations (which are subtle for example from piano but you do still get them). It still is a little annoyingly bassy for some music though.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #2,810 of 6,607
Quote:
Boosting 0-50hz sounds way too bass saturated for music, but has anyone noticed that sometimes classical music sounds better with a 0-30hz boost? It does sound unnaturally sub-bassy but I think in some ways it psychologically compensates for the lack of natural chest vibrations (which are subtle for example from piano but you do still get them). It still is a little annoyingly bassy for some music though.

All headphones are inherently compromised in that area since you can't feel the bass with your whole body.

I personally think headphones should have boosted bass below 50Hz or so to compensate for that without muddying up the sound.  Others say that since headphones can never do it right you shouldn't even bother trying.  I would counter that since they most likely listen to non-binaural recordings with their headphones most of the time they're already engaging in compromise.

A lot of your perception of the bass has to do with the volume you listen at due to the equal loudness curves.  A bass boost that sounds fine when listening quietly can become very unnatural sounding if you turn up the volume too much.  If I'm listening quietly with a pair of neutral phones I'll likely start boosting the bass around 125Hz.  As volume increases I'll lower the amount and reduce the highest frequency boosted.  If I can get it I pretty much always have some bass boost, either built into the 'phone or added with EQ, because even at "live" levels I think that headphones need some kind of sub bass boost and I usually prefer more than that minimum because I very rarely listen at the level of a live performance anyway.

I'm sure some people will consider loudness curves sacrilege or blasphemy but I think protecting my hearing is more important than that.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #2,811 of 6,607
I definitely have noticed that I've been listening to my HD800 much quieter than my HD650s and it still sounds perfect (whereas the HD650 sounds like it's not loud enough to hear the whole spectrum properly -- in fact I have to turn it up really loud to hear the treble sufficiently at all).

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #2,812 of 6,607
Quote:
I definitely have noticed that I've been listening to my HD800 much quieter than my HD650s and it still sounds perfect (whereas the HD650 sounds like it's not loud enough to hear the whole spectrum properly -- in fact I have to turn it up really loud to hear the treble sufficiently at all).

The loudness curve works that way as well.  I never had an issue with the level of the HD650's treble though.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #2,813 of 6,607
"the HD 650s offer a much more open soundstage, but they aren’t nearly as clear as the HD 800s"

right......is this true?

btw you guys have to check out this website - http://www.headphoneinfo.com/ check out all the reviews. ​
 ​
they gave k701 6.9 and hd650 6.7, they gave the hd800 8.7 and the dt990 9.9!?!?!?!? and of course the T1 a 4.2. Marks out of 10​

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #2,814 of 6,607

Quote:
the dt990 9.9!?!?!?!? 

Obviously missed the zero and hit the wrong key.

Anyone who puts the Ety MC5 ahead of the 701, D5000 or most of those phones is just deaf.  Good to know the Monster Beats are just almost as good as the MC5 and blow out the Denons and AKG.

Awful.

Edit - How the **** did he rank the D7000 a full point lower than the D5000?!  They must have some strange weighting to price and other factors.

Snippet:

Verdict

Though the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1s are impressive in their own right, you really can’t beat the value you get when you pick up the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PROs. While they aren’t objectively better than the Tesla T1, they do offer astounding performance for the price, and where the Tesla T1s cost well over $1000 more than the DT 990 PROs, it’s a little hard to justify the extra cost at this point until the new driver technology matures a bit and Beyerdynamic tweaks their new cans to perfection.

So the 990 is a 9.9 and the T1 is a 4.2 in 'sound quality' scoring.  Makes sense....
rolleyes.gif

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #2,816 of 6,607
That website seems like a complete joke to me in terms of content. Sound quality sections don't even talk about sound quality, but shows you FR graphs. What?!
blink.gif

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #2,817 of 6,607
Feb 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #2,818 of 6,607
Sound quality on the HD800s are also 8.7.... so if I want good sound, I should sell my 800s and get DT990s? Absolutely awful

Quote:

weighted towards sound quality just a tad

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #2,819 of 6,607

Quote:
"the HD 650s offer a much more open soundstage, but they aren’t nearly as clear as the HD 800s"

right......is this true?

btw you guys have to check out this website - http://www.headphoneinfo.com/ check out all the reviews. ​
 ​
they gave k701 6.9 and hd650 6.7, they gave the hd800 8.7 and the dt990 9.9!?!?!?!? and of course the T1 a 4.2. Marks out of 10​

It boggled my mind that anyone could say HD650s have a more open soundstage than HD800s. That's just absurd. No, it is NOT true. Even on my amp known for having poor soundstage, the HD800 soundstage is vastly better than the HD650.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #2,820 of 6,607
How does the DT990 get a 0.5/10 in usability?  Do they not fold his clothes or something?  Who the hell are those people??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back