Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Feb 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #2,852 of 6,607

Quote:
Are there any amps that reportedly make the HD800 sound similar to the Sennheiser Orpheus?  I really liked the warm but detailed sound from the HE90 and would like to get something close from my HD800.

You want a fast sounding amp that takes the edge off and gives the HD800 some warmth. ECZD, EC2A3, Cavalli LF? Bottlehead has the warmth, but not the speed nor transparency. How much did you want to spend? Still won't sound like the Orpheus though.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #2,853 of 6,607
Feb 18, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #2,854 of 6,607

Quote:

You want a fast sounding amp that takes the edge off and gives the HD800 some warmth. ECZD, EC2A3, Cavalli LF? Bottlehead has the warmth, but not the speed nor transparency. How much did you want to spend? Still won't sound like the Orpheus though.

What about Apex Peak + volcano? 

By the way, thanks for the awesome review, Tyll! 

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #2,856 of 6,607
Loving Tyll's latest blog entry.  Thanks, Draygonn for pointing it out. 
wink.gif

So nice to see the HD800 getting its props from a man who knows what he's talking about...

My Zeus hard-wired 800s are still my faves!!!!
smile.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #2,857 of 6,607

Quote:
What about Apex Peak + volcano? 

By the way, thanks for the awesome review, Tyll! 

Speedy amp, but too edgy for my tastes for long listening sessions, although others have liked this combination a lot. The Orpheus sound is definitely not edgy.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #2,858 of 6,607

Quote:
Speedy amp, but too edgy for my tastes for long listening sessions, although others have liked this combination a lot. The Orpheus sound is definitely not edgy.

IME, it depends on tube choice. With some tubes it was significantly slower than the Dynahi (which I consider a benchmark for neutrality and speed). With others it was almost as quick as the Gilmore.

Same goes for tone...quite variable depending on the tube used. But I would agree that it's not as tubey-sounding as a lot of full tube amps out there. The SS portion of its hybrid nature takes front seat.

For the HD800, I'd choose a fuller, darker sounding tube like the Shuguang Treasure. The Sophia might be good here too, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

BTW purrin, why don't you DIY yourself a cheap UPOCC copper cable for the Senns? Or just get a simple one from DHC or something. It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts, as your mods have focused on the very thing a better cable accomplishes on the 800s. Last night, I switched back to the stock cable after a long time and realized there's a peakiness in the treble and thinness/dryness in the mids that got annoying after a little while. I was relieved to revert back to aftermarket.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #2,859 of 6,607

Maybe a particular choice of tube can smooth it out without slowing it down?

I'm looking for an amp that does exactly what you think an amp needs to do for the HD 800...

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #2,860 of 6,607
Quote:
I'm looking for an amp that does exactly what you think an amp needs to do for the HD 800...

Then look no further than the cavalli liquid fire.  
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #2,862 of 6,607

Quote:

I can say from experience that I was extremely happy with the sound from the RWA Isabellina. Granted, the amp/dac combo is pricey but the amp-only corvina for $1000 should sound very similar (it’s missing the tube stage from the Isabellina preamp).

The sound was detailed and quick but there was never any sense of harshness or sibilance in the sound. It really made the HD800 sing. I loved that setup

If I wasn’t making a bet on a Stax O2 setup and selling components, this combo would still be my main system (and if the O2 doesn’t pan out then I will rebuy an HD800 and use that same Isabellina)

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #2,863 of 6,607
This is just my opinion on some the things that were discussed... BTW, I've heard all the amps mentioned above under varying conditions and I owned the P/V before I got the BA. I have had the least amount of "quality time" with the LF, having only heard it once under meet conditions.

• If we want speed, there's nothing better than good solid-state. No tube amp is going to sound as fast and clear as a well executed solid-state amp such as the Dynahi. Few tube amps will come close, but none will equal the Dynahi. Compromises will have to be made.
  • If I still had the P/V, I would probably consider copper cable. Since I already have the HD800 foam mod and the BA with specific tubes (globe PX25s circa 1930) chosen for their treble silkyness, I've stuck with the stock cable. The stock cable is very high quality, but does accentuate certain aspects of the HD800.
  • The HD800s can sound dry and over-damped in the bass. Because of this, amplifiers with higher output impedance will warm up the bass region - but at the expensive of rounded bass. Again compromises need to be made. Output Z between 8-16 are ideal - any higher would be too mushy for my tastes. A lot of HF'ers like the HD800 with 120ohm. 
  • Tubes, for whatever reason (the tubes themselves or the topologies of the amps that they are used in) can help with taking the treble edge off the HD800.
  • Just so you know where I'm coming from: I don't like stuff that's too tubey. That is a nice lush, euphonic, and romantic sound. It's nice at first, but extended exposure makes me want to throw such things out the window. Also, I cannot stand the "stereotypical" (or what many people commonly think of the tube amp) sound of bloated (overly warm bass) and rolled-off highs. I think all such tube implementations should be destroyed on sight.

Amplifier considerations - a vain attempt to approach the Orpheus sound with the HD800:

1. The RWA has great tone with the HD800. However I found it lacking in resolving power. Good macro-dynamics, but the bass had a tendency to flutter with the volume cranked up. I initially really loved this amp, but its stock has gone down in my book as I've had more exposure to it over time with other headphones.
  2. The LF did not sound tubey nor colored. I heard the modded HD800s out of it and I thought it sounded great. Excellent tone, good (possibly great) speed, great bass control. I need more quality time with it to make a better assessment. I know some people balk at the $3200 price, but it is what it is.
  3. At $2200, consider the Zana Deux SE. Speedy sucker (for a tube amp) with great resolving capability. Adjustable output Z of 3 and 12 ohms to match your tastes or different headphones. Don't have to worry about output tube selection (not many options.)
  4. At $1800, Super 7. Very low output Z and may have to tinker with combinations of 6SN7s to get the sound right. Both a blessing (for tube rollers) or a curse (for folks who don't want to deal with that crap.) Not currently available and folks will need to wait for the next run.
  5. AT $1200, Woo WA6SE. The most "solid-state" sounding of the Woo amps. Does take the edge off. Lacks resolving capability and a little bit flatter sounding compared to the better amps above.

Special mentions: DNA 2A3 at $2800, Woo WA5LE $2500-$3600+ (little but more tubey and not as fast sounding as some of the above, but stuff I wouldn't mind living with.)

Or just get BA and stop worrying and be done with it.

P.S. Don't skimp on the DAC. At least not with the HD800. Just ask Tyll if you don't believe me. I cannot emphasize how critical this is because all bets are off on the above recommendations if you don't have a DAC of sufficient resolving capability. 95% of people on HF have no idea what the HD800 can do. I mean this in a honest, not patronizing way.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #2,865 of 6,607
Compared to say a HeadRoom amp or P/V, yes. Compared to a Burson (which I believe you have), then no. The Burson is fairly very polite sounding and a good match for the HD800. It's probably what I would pick at that price range for the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back