Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Feb 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #2,866 of 6,607

Quote:
Compared to say a HeadRoom amp or P/V, yes. Compared to a Burson (which I believe you have), then no. The Burson is fairly very polite sounding and a good match for the HD800. It's probably what I would pick at that price range for the HD800.

With my maxed normal WA6 I find the amp sounds very different depending on the tubes.  The amp can be a good or bad match with HD800, depending on the tubes.  If I use a Sophia Princess 274B with Sylvania VT-231 and adapters it's too aggressive with HD800, but switch to a Tung Sol 5U4G and RCA 6DE7 and it's a great match.  That's probably why some don't think a WA6 SE is a good match - could be the tubes.

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #2,867 of 6,607
Yes, I also think perhaps that the effects from tube choice.

I ever compare some amps through HD800, like Graham Slee Solo II, WA6 Max, WA6 SE, WA5 Max, some RSA amps, Zana Deux, etc. I think my favourite for HD800 is coming from RSA Darkstar, it's sound so smooth and meaty which is really helping me to enjoying music from HD800.

For budget, I think Graham Slee Solo II is better pairing with HD800 than Burson, Solo II is smooth and a bit mellower, though the compromise is the soundstage and transient will not really good.

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #2,868 of 6,607

Quote:
This is just my opinion on some the things that were discussed... BTW, I've heard all the amps mentioned above under varying conditions and I owned the P/V before I got the BA. I have had the least amount of "quality time" with the LF, having only heard it once under meet conditions.

• If we want speed, there's nothing better than good solid-state. No tube amp is going to sound as fast and clear as a well executed solid-state amp such as the Dynahi. Few tube amps will come close, but none will equal the Dynahi. Compromises will have to be made.
  • If I still had the P/V, I would probably consider copper cable. Since I already have the HD800 foam mod and the BA with specific tubes (globe PX25s circa 1930) chosen for their treble silkyness, I've stuck with the stock cable. The stock cable is very high quality, but does accentuate certain aspects of the HD800.
  • The HD800s can sound dry and over-damped in the bass. Because of this, amplifiers with higher output impedance will warm up the bass region - but at the expensive of rounded bass. Again compromises need to be made. Output Z between 8-16 are ideal - any higher would be too mushy for my tastes. A lot of HF'ers like the HD800 with 120ohm. 
  • Tubes, for whatever reason (the tubes themselves or the topologies of the amps that they are used in) can help with taking the treble edge off the HD800.
  • Just so you know where I'm coming from: I don't like stuff that's too tubey. That is a nice lush, euphonic, and romantic sound. It's nice at first, but extended exposure makes me want to throw such things out the window. Also, I cannot stand the "stereotypical" (or what many people commonly think of the tube amp) sound of bloated (overly warm bass) and rolled-off highs. I think all such tube implementations should be destroyed on sight.

Amplifier considerations - a vain attempt to approach the Orpheus sound with the HD800:

1. The RWA has great tone with the HD800. However I found it lacking in resolving power. Good macro-dynamics, but the bass had a tendency to flutter with the volume cranked up. I initially really loved this amp, but its stock has gone down in my book as I've had more exposure to it over time with other headphones.
  2. The LF did not sound tubey nor colored. I heard the modded HD800s out of it and I thought it sounded great. Excellent tone, good (possibly great) speed, great bass control. I need more quality time with it to make a better assessment. I know some people balk at the $3200 price, but it is what it is.
  3. At $2200, consider the Zana Deux SE. Speedy sucker (for a tube amp) with great resolving capability. Adjustable output Z of 3 and 12 ohms to match your tastes or different headphones. Don't have to worry about output tube selection (not many options.)
  4. At $1800, Super 7. Very low output Z and may have to tinker with combinations of 6SN7s to get the sound right. Both a blessing (for tube rollers) or a curse (for folks who don't want to deal with that crap.) Not currently available and folks will need to wait for the next run.
  5. AT $1200, Woo WA6SE. The most "solid-state" sounding of the Woo amps. Does take the edge off. Lacks resolving capability and a little bit flatter sounding compared to the better amps above.

Special mentions: DNA 2A3 at $2800, Woo WA5LE $2500-$3600+ (little but more tubey and not as fast sounding as some of the above, but stuff I wouldn't mind living with.)

Or just get BA and stop worrying and be done with it.

P.S. Don't skimp on the DAC. At least not with the HD800. Just ask Tyll if you don't believe me. I cannot emphasize how critical this is because all bets are off on the above recommendations if you don't have a DAC of sufficient resolving capability. 95% of people on HF have no idea what the HD800 can do. I mean this in a honest, not patronizing way.

Wow, awesome man! You know your gear :p For know my budget is limited so next month or so I'm going to Stockholm to get me a Musical fidelity M1 hpa. This is a GOOD headphone amplifier, amd great match for hd 800. Much better than the Burson which I personally though was very bad with hd 800. way to forward, aggressive and tiresome. 

But when it's time for a better amp (and DAC) I know who to ask, thanks man! 

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #2,870 of 6,607
Quote:
With my maxed normal WA6 I find the amp sounds very different depending on the tubes.  The amp can be a good or bad match with HD800, depending on the tubes.  If I use a Sophia Princess 274B with Sylvania VT-231 and adapters it's too aggressive with HD800, but switch to a Tung Sol 5U4G and RCA 6DE7 and it's a great match.  That's probably why some don't think a WA6 SE is a good match - could be the tubes.

I found the same thing with my WA22, that the tubes make all the difference. I use a SS-sounding combination of tubes that includes the Sophia as a rectifier, but the WA22 is a very different sounding amp than the WA6SE as I am sure you're aware. The other tubes that I use are the Sylvania 7236 and the Shuguang CV181-Z Treasures. It's the only combo I've found that optimize the LCD-2 r1 as well as the HD800.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #2,871 of 6,607
It does come down to tubes. I would consider the (Sylvania) VT-231 an Audeze tube, not an HD800 tube.

Finally, I realized all my impressions were on modded (the most recent Anax mod revision) HD800s, so that accounts for a quite a lot. Because of the mod, I've moved to a more neutral setup than try to compensate for the HD800's weaknesses, i.e. with fatter sound tubes, etc. I was getting tired of swapping tubes for the darker sounding headphones in my collection (LCD3, HP1000.)

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2,872 of 6,607
Still loving my early production WA6SE (the first model ever, actually.. the prototype model) with the EML 5U4G and the ITT 6DE7 tubes. Soundstage is reduced in this setup (which the HD800 can afford to spare IMO) but the overall sound balance is great, with crisp highs, minimal sibilance, very tight punchy bass, and well extending subbass.

Then again the same WA6SE-HD800 combo sounds plain weird with some other tube setups. The combo is definitely tube rolling sensitive FME.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #2,873 of 6,607
Quote:
It does come down to tubes. I would consider the VT-231 an Audeze tube, not an HD800 tube.

Agreed, I actually never liked those tubes all that much until I tried them in that combo that I mentioned. I had all the tubes but never thought to put them together until I read about them in Positive Feedback's "Ultimate Headphone System"
wink_face.gif

Of course they got the idea from Woo Audio, as this was the exact optional tube upgrade combo that they were offering at the time.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #2,875 of 6,607
Where would you put the Treasures on that scale? I always meant to try a pair of those Ken-Rads.

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #2,876 of 6,607
My new Grace m903 arrived a few days ago while I was out of the country - now to plug in my HD 800 (# 1300) and L I S T E N
L3000.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #2,877 of 6,607

Quote:
It does come down to tubes. I would consider the (Sylvania) VT-231 an Audeze tube, not an HD800 tube.

Finally, I realized all my impressions were on modded (the most recent Anax mod revision) HD800s, so that accounts for a quite a lot. Because of the mod, I've moved to a more neutral setup than try to compensate for the HD800's weaknesses, i.e. with fatter sound tubes, etc. I was getting tired of swapping tubes for the darker sounding headphones in my collection (LCD3, HP1000.)

Yeah, that's exactly what I found when I got the adapters and used the VT-231 left over from owning a DV336i.  Better with LCD-2, but also pretty good with HE-500 or HD-600.  Just too aggressive for the HD800.  The Sylvania VT-231 I have sounded a lot like my old Sylvania Bad Boy.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #2,878 of 6,607

Quote:
Compared to say a HeadRoom amp or P/V, yes. Compared to a Burson (which I believe you have), then no. The Burson is fairly very polite sounding and a good match for the HD800. It's probably what I would pick at that price range for the HD800.

Having the same point with Burson . The sound of Hd800 's so warm and lovely with me . It 's getting less harsh in high range and with some good record (like Stockfish) , it proves its hi-quality performance nicely.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #2,879 of 6,607
I feel like I'm approaching an HD-800 set up that I really like...

iMac optical out -> Stello DA100 -> WA6SE.  I found a 1956 NOS Metal Base Amperex Bugle Boy 5AR4/GZ34 for a rectifier.  Drivers are the Raytheon 6EW7 fat bottles, made in Japan.  The Bugle Boy is adding a texture to things that just was not there before, while doing everything else as good or better than the other rectifiers I've rolled.

Time to try the Anax mod to take off that little edge and I think I've got my HD-800 rig for a while...

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #2,880 of 6,607

Quote:
I feel like I'm approaching an HD-800 set up that I really like...

Glad to hear it!  When you happen upon tubes that let you hear stuff you didn't know was in the recording before you know they are keepers.  Tubes are like Easter eggs for grown ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back