Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Feb 3, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #2,791 of 6,607

Quote:
The grey is actually paint.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphone-Holder/dp/B003T1CWU8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1328255583&sr=8-9

The velvet box contacts more points on the phone each time you put it in and take it out.  Just suspend it in air w/o damaging the headband.

Are you saying the box would damage the hd 800? No way, it's so gentle to the headphone. The box is my permanent storage for them, never hang them on my stand or anything for very long.

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #2,792 of 6,607

Quote:
The problem with the Sennheiser stand is I don't really have any shelf-like surface to mount it on at the moment. The best thing would be some sort of actual stand that I can put on my desk.

You don't need a shelf at all.

The holes are square, so you can twist the G-clamp part through 90° and clamp it to something vertical rather than horizontal.
L3000.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #2,793 of 6,607

Quote:
Are you saying the box would damage the hd 800? No way, it's so gentle to the headphone.

Not necessarily.  I'm saying it makes contact w/ the phone.  Anything that makes contact with it has potential to interact w/ it.  That velvet isn't microfiber either btw.  As someone who knows how to detail his black car, I can tell you not everything that seems 'gentle' actually is.  Cotton is abrasive and that velvet would probably scratch/swirl up a pair of eyeglasses over time.  Will it affect the HD800?  I don't know, not going to find out though.  Plus if I use the phones a lot, the box is just going to get in the way each time IMO.  That foam deteriorates too and you should keep it away from the drivers.  Grado insists people remove them from the pizza box ASAP and keep them out.

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #2,794 of 6,607

Quote:
Not necessarily.  I'm saying it makes contact w/ the phone.  Anything that makes contact with it has potential to interact w/ it.  That velvet isn't microfiber either btw.  As someone who knows how to detail his black car, I can tell you not everything that seems 'gentle' actually is.  Cotton is abrasive and that velvet would probably scratch/swirl up a pair of eyeglasses over time.  Will it affect the HD800?  I don't know, not going to find out though.  Plus if I use the phones a lot, the box is just going to get in the way each time IMO.  That foam deteriorates too and you should keep it away from the drivers.  Grado insists people remove them from the pizza box ASAP and keep them out.

? The foam can damage the drivers? :s we must be talkin many, many ears here if so

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #2,796 of 6,607
I have had my HD800's since Xmas and am really very pleased with them.  Clocked up a good few hours on them now and they have settled down nicely.  Compared to out the box from new they sound better balanced right through the frequency range now, highs have smoothed out.

I have owned 650's and 600's for a number of years and loved them so this was my stand out choice for a taste of the high end.  Are they superior to the 650's and 600's....... in my opinion, yes, very much so.

By comparison, the 800's are more neutral sounding, with more detail and resolution. Bass whilst being nicely extended is very well controlled with no bloat. Staging is also a lot better both in width and depth.

They feel quite heavy when you pick them up but when you put them on that weight just disappears and I find them really comfy.

Before I got the HD800's I would keep going between the many different headphones I have.  Not any more, all the other headphones just gather dust.  As good as my other headphones are these are just in a different league.

£1000 well spent as far as I am concerned.  Looking forward to getting the Cardas cable upgrade next.

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #2,797 of 6,607
The highs on mine also have seemed to have toned down a little after probably 20 hours of use, but I really can't say if it's burn in or if it's just my hearing being "burned in" :p

I tried going back to my HD650s, and they sound so colored / non-neutral, it's really interesting. Going from HD650 -> HD800, the impression is definitely that it's more neutral/natural, so I don't think it's a perspective thing either. The HD650 bass sounds so slow and bloated and too emphasized in the midbass -- in comparison. Not that the HD650 is a bad headphone, it just sounds like an entire league below in sound quality at least on my amp.

Before I got the HD800's I would keep going between the many different headphones I have.  Not any more, all the other headphones just gather dust.  As good as my other headphones are these are just in a different league.

I may end up selling all my other headphones eventually. I'm definitely selling everything except maybe my HD650 which is nice for its ability to make bad recordings sound good. However I will eventually get around to experimenting with EQ, and it seems the HD800 responds very well to reducing treble via EQ (which I don't do normally because honestly I like the HD800s default sound signature).

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #2,799 of 6,607
I may have mentioned "semi-used". The previous owner used it for < 15 minutes.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #2,800 of 6,607
I know what you mean ac500, by contrast the 650's are so very different and by comparison the 650's do sound coloured.....less so the 600's. I must have owned my 650's for over 6 years and in that time they have provided much enjoyment and blown me away on many occasion...but now I find it hard to believe by comaprison, I much prefer the 800's.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #2,802 of 6,607
He didn't have any single ended amps and obviously it sounded bad from his ipod, so and put it back in the box for later to modify the cable to balanced. But it ended up just sitting in the box for a few months so he decided to sell it. I guess he was probably satisfied with whatever balanced rig he currently had.

I know what you mean ac500, by contrast the 650's are so very different and by comparison the 650's do sound coloured.....less so the 600's. I must have owned my 650's for over 6 years and in that time they have provided much enjoyment and blown me away on many occasion...but now I find it hard to believe by comaprison, I much prefer the 800's.

Realizing how colored the HD650s are now, I'm kind of curious how the HD600s sound. It doesn't matter though because now I have an HD800 (and I like its treble) :)

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #2,803 of 6,607
ac5000000, try taking the ear cup foams out of your 650s.  That could give you a glimpse of the sound of the 600s if it does anything similar to what it did when I took the foams out of my 600s.  I have a defoamed 600 and a (Anax) foam mod'd 800 and they're quite complimentary.  Transparency being the biggest difference.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2,804 of 6,607
I have always thought the 600's are stonking headphones for the price, certainly more neutral than the 650s. I have always found  600's a bit brighter than 650's and also a bit more of a forward sound.  I also found the 600's fit well into most systems, the 650's are a bit more picky and do not work so well in such a wide variety of systems.  If you already have 800's and love them I can't see you are missing out not having the 600's in your life.

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #2,805 of 6,607

Quote:

Realizing how colored the HD650s are now, I'm kind of curious how the HD600s sound. It doesn't matter though because now I have an HD800 (and I like its treble) :)

Exactly. Was really considering grabbing HD600 for cheap, but I figured what's the point. The HD600 is slightly less bright though than the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back