Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jan 21, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #2,702 of 6,607
I think I'm gonna end up building a three channel Beta22 (not now though). Unless I'm mistaken, it looks cheaper to build than to buy some "lesser" amps costing $1K.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #2,703 of 6,607

Quote:
I think I'm gonna end up building a three channel Beta22 (not now though). Unless I'm mistaken, it looks cheaper to build than to buy some "lesser" amps costing $1K.

It may be a good idea, however realize that there is a lot more effort. As an Electrical engineer myself id recommend you get a bloody decent solderer and practice your soldering skills because in my eyes thats the biggest issue (bad conductivity/overheating components and killing them etc)

the rest of the works are just making sure (3 times over) that you have all the components in the right orientation and you read them all right... with a bit of anal retentivness this isnt that hard tbh.

And finally, the case - remember that you need to get everything to line up, exit jacks - power leds, switches... making a "pretty" case and getting all those things to line up first time isn't easy. I was thinking about it with cases that only have screws from the bottom, you have to design a prototype that has all the ends sticking out but make it fit and only then get all measurements and then remanufacture it to be pretty.

Quote:

It does, but not on the headphones output.
wink.gif

However - have you tried talking to Grace?

The m902 and m903 both have two headphone outputs - so it may very well be possible to have a modified version so that both outputs are used for a single pair of headphones balanced driven.

It may be interesting to ask them ..................

Actually - it may work now.

The specs say:
Balanced output @1kHz, 100k Ohm +27dBu
Headphone output @1kHz, 50 Ohm load +20.4dBu

So plugging balanced headphones into the balanced line outs may actually work very well - I have not tried it, though.

Sorry man, what i meant was, the DAC has no balanced out, to connect to a WA22 lets say... atleast from looking at the back of the device.

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #2,704 of 6,607
Yes it's kind of strange to have the balanced inputs (for the headamp I presume) but no balanced outs from the DAC.

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #2,705 of 6,607
Can anyone PM me as to where to get a HD800 for the best price. I know it's possible to get the Beyerdynamic T1 for $300+ off MSRP brand new. Anything similar available with the HD800? Thanks!

I'd like to get the HD800 to compare to the T1 as I don't know when I will ever be able to audition a pair without purchasing. I love the T1. Terrific bass for an open headphone. Surprisingly great impact. I have so many good things to say about the T1. My only complaint is the crazy peak in the 9kHz area which sounds perfectly fine once your ears adjust. But I am always curious about the HD800. It's just begging me to try it.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #2,706 of 6,607
Best price would probably be a used one. Anyone selling them brand new for less would be violating their agreement with Sennheiser.

Gabrielisc: Yeah I know it would take tedios work but I've done circuit builds before, and I know some people who've built amps like this before. My main concern is that even though I would have a really good amp, I would still have to figure out a good DAC to use, and it seems people say that's an important choice too.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #2,708 of 6,607
I just received today a Silver Dragon V3 XLR cable for my HD800 (which I ordered from Moon Audio not long ago). I can now say that this is the first time I've heard the HD800 balanced on my own system (have heard balanced HD800s before at various meets).

Initial impression is very positive.
smile.gif
The balanced re-cable further improves my opinion of the HD800 - there's actually more bass quantity now, along with improved clarity and soundstaging. It's almost exactly what I was expecting from a re-cable to balanced, which is nice. Probably going to end up keeping the HD800 now, as I wasn't entirely sure before (was holding off on a decision until I had this cable).

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #2,709 of 6,607

Quote:
I just received today a Silver Dragon V3 XLR cable for my HD800 (which I ordered from Moon Audio not long ago). I can now say that this is the first time I've heard the HD800 balanced on my own system (have heard balanced HD800s before at various meets).

Initial impression is very positive.
smile.gif
The balanced re-cable further improves my opinion of the HD800 - there's actually more bass quantity now, along with improved clarity and soundstaging. It's almost exactly what I was expecting from a re-cable to balanced, which is nice. Probably going to end up keeping the HD800 now, as I wasn't entirely sure before (was holding off on a decision until I had this cable).

Very cool - I've been thinking about a Silver Dragon V3 XLR cable for my HD800 as well.  Several of my Warren Audio balanced HD800 cables have failed except for the X10, which to me seems to add a veil to the micro-detail and decreases transparency.  So I've been using my 6 foot Locus Design Hyperion Cable that Lee made special for me, which is single ended and too short.  But I want to get the "convertible" Silver Dragon connector so I can switch out my Silver Dragon 4-pin XLR adapter and SR-71b balanced adapter like I do with my LCD-2 cable.

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #2,710 of 6,607
Agreed on your sentiments as well with running the HD800s balanced. But I'm using the Cardas Balanced Gold cable with them (I have the Silver Dragon V3 for my LCD-3s and love it FWIW).

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #2,711 of 6,607
Hi guys, I just ordered my HD800 and am excited to try them out shortly.  My only dac/amp is the benchmark dac1, which I've used with the k1000s and now use with my k701s.  Is the dac1 considered a suitable/proper amp for the HD800?

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #2,712 of 6,607

Quote:
Hi guys, I just ordered my HD800 and am excited to try them out shortly.  My only dac/amp is the benchmark dac1, which I've used with the k1000s and now use with my k701s.  Is the dac1 considered a suitable/proper amp for the HD800?

You'll have to go shopping I reckon, did not try the head amp section myself with the Benchmark DAC1 but I know a bloke who is short on cash
 and rather desperate to get a decent amp to support his HD650 with his DAC1 if that's any indication.

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #2,713 of 6,607
If you like detailed, forward treble you're in business.

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #2,714 of 6,607

Quote:

I have a DAC-1 USB coming and I plan to use the amp section for the time being as well. How was it with the K1000?

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #2,715 of 6,607

Quote:

It does, but not on the headphones output.
wink.gif

However - have you tried talking to Grace?

The m902 and m903 both have two headphone outputs - so it may very well be possible to have a modified version so that both outputs are used for a single pair of headphones balanced driven.

It may be interesting to ask them ..................

Actually - it may work now.

The specs say:
Balanced output @1kHz, 100k Ohm +27dBu
Headphone output @1kHz, 50 Ohm load +20.4dBu

So plugging balanced headphones into the balanced line outs may actually work very well - I have not tried it, though.

Quote:
Sorry man, what i meant was, the DAC has no balanced out, to connect to a WA22 lets say... atleast from looking at the back of the device.

Why do you think the Grace does not have a balanced out?

The m902b and the new m903 both have balanced analogue outputs.

The Stereophile review is here: http://www.gracedesign.com/press/pdf/m903_stereophile_2011.pdf      
and the full owner's manual is here: http://www.gracedesign.com/support/m903_manual_RevA.pdf   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back