Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Apr 10, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #1,906 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Augusstus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I put together these, after some surfing around, and like to ask, if it would be a good combo:

-Sennheiser HD800
-CablePro Reverie HD800 cable (from TTVJaudio: CablePro Reverie HD800 cable [Reverie] - $489.00 : TTVJ, Home of High End Audio ) (need something shorter than 10 feet)
-iBasso Amplifiers (not sure if D10 or T3/T4 would be better, would need help with it too)
-and another random cable from the portable amplifier to the music player/laptop.

Sounds like a plan to get a decent SQ for your purpose but the $489 aftermarket cable is just extremely expensive overkill.
The subtle difference a cable could make is hidden by the mediocre (mediocre in terms of high end audio) source/amp upstream anyway.Just shorten and reterminate the original cable.Even if you can't solder you could pay someone for this relatively easy job.Soldering skills aren't exactly rare and it shouldn't cost more than $20.

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #1,907 of 6,607
Well I just took ownership of my HD800 from the UPS guy today and ... wow these are something special. The craftsmanship, the comfort, the sound. All top notch. I've only had time to listen for about 30 minutes so far and it was really hard to put them down. I'm going to let them run-in for a couple of days and see what happens but I think they sound pretty special right out of the box. Me happy
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #1,908 of 6,607
Quote:

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this community and was drawn to it by my interest in musical experience.
I'm planning to invest in some audiophile equipment for the first time, and therefore it would be the Sennheiser HD800. For a while, I would prefer using it with portable music players, and laptop.

I heard of amplifiers, as well, that it helps to enhance and increase the sound quality of such music sources and portable ones are just what I will need for those headphones at first (later on, I would move to more serious amplifiers, but not for a few more years).

I put together these, after some surfing around, and like to ask, if it would be a good combo:

-Sennheiser HD800
-CablePro Reverie HD800 cable (from TTVJaudio: CablePro Reverie HD800 cable [Reverie] - $489.00 : TTVJ, Home of High End Audio ) (need something shorter than 10 feet)
-iBasso Amplifiers (not sure if D10 or T3/T4 would be better, would need help with it too)
-and another random cable from the portable amplifier to the music player/laptop.

Could someone with experience in audiophile equipments agree with my combo, or correct me if there is something better for that use.

(will stick to the HD800 for sure, as it looks much better compared to other high-end headphones and the reviews about its sound quality are also convincing)

It would be better if you stick to the original cable and use the money to invest in a better amplifier or get a DAC even.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #1,909 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindyCityCy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just took ownership of my HD800 from the UPS guy today and ... wow these are something special. The craftsmanship, the comfort, the sound. All top notch. I've only had time to listen for about 30 minutes so far and it was really hard to put them down. I'm going to let them run-in for a couple of days and see what happens but I think they sound pretty special right out of the box. Me happy
biggrin.gif

Congratulations, it seems like you have quite a killer setup! Between the HD800, the JH16 (since the JH13 receives excellent reviews, I guess the JH16 is very good) and the D7000 you have pretty much all angles covered
bigsmile_face.gif
. It would be interesting to read your opinions once you've had some time with your new toys!

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #1,910 of 6,607
Quote:

...For a while, I would prefer using it with portable music players, and laptop.

-Sennheiser HD800

I agree with cosmopragma: The headphone cable is overkill in this setup. I have two aftermarket cables for the HD 800 (DHC Clone, Silver Dragon), and while they certainly make a significant difference in my home system, they wouldn't pay off in a portable system. The more so as I'm still not sure which of the three cables I like best – the stock cable is still in the race. I think it's very good, unlike the HD 600/650 stock cables. Moreover halving its length has increased the sound quality as well.

I can't speak for the rest of your list, but I guess the HD 800 can sound very good even on a portable system.

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #1,911 of 6,607
Quote:

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this community and was drawn to it by my interest in musical experience.
I'm planning to invest in some audiophile equipment for the first time, and therefore it would be the Sennheiser HD800. For a while, I would prefer using it with portable music players, and laptop.

I heard of amplifiers, as well, that it helps to enhance and increase the sound quality of such music sources and portable ones are just what I will need for those headphones at first (later on, I would move to more serious amplifiers, but not for a few more years).

-Sennheiser HD800

Could someone with experience in audiophile equipments agree with my combo, or correct me if there is something better for that use.

(will stick to the HD800 for sure, as it looks much better compared to other high-end headphones and the reviews about its sound quality are also convincing)

The stock HD 800 cable is very good. I would not spend a dime on extra cable. If i may I suggest you can check the NUFORCE ICON HDP. The HP amp is good (drives HD800 efortless), but the DAC is excellent . This gizmo is small but the performance is large. I think you will be also surprised how well it works and sounds.

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #1,912 of 6,607
I'm learning my way around my pair. They do a few things better than any phone I've heard:

1. Explosive dynamics (eg: I have never heard Hammond organ start, stop, build and decay as accurately as it does on these phones)
2. Recover the detail of recorded spaces (the sense of space around and between performers in, for example, the live version of Alison K & Union Station's "Boy Who Wouldn't How Corn" is astonishingly real-seeming.

I'm not finding too much wrong with the treble and/or bass at the moment but they're now in my office system complete with its very modest DAC. And I love the sweet new-car smell of the headband...

best,

o

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #1,915 of 6,607
I am using a $400 DAC with the HD800s and they sound brilliant. I would say the best bang-for-your-buck would be with the HD800s/DacMagic by far.

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #1,916 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnili /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the HeadRoom BUDA and about $1800 to spend on source and headphones. Would it be better to buy the HD800 and DacMagic or HD600/650 and spend the rest on a better source?

Headphones will always make the biggest difference in the sound, then amp/source. With this in mind I would definitely get the HD800s and the Dacmagic since you won't really see the benefits of a $1500+ Dac on HD650 unless powered with a great balanced amp.

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #1,917 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using a $400 DAC with the HD800s and they sound brilliant. I would say the best bang-for-your-buck would be with the HD800s/DacMagic by far.

That's what I use. Though i'm looking to upgrade my dac/amp soon.
smile.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #1,918 of 6,607
Happy new owner of the HD800 here. My favorite quality about them - apart from the refined sound and the amazing detail - is the neutrality. Never in my life have I owned a pair of headphones that didn't benefit from EQing. These are the first headphones I've ever had that really preferred a flat presentation - not because flat is lifeless but because flat means fairness. Often, the temptation to tweak is based in insecurity, namely that you don't think your system can be fair to all of the frequencies it encounters. Many of us were scarred by cheap stereos that gave anemic bass and whose idea of treble was some midrange with attitude. Our first inclination was to crank up the extremes to create a proper "EQ smile." But with the HD800, there's no need to compensate. When you get what you need, there's no reason to cheat.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #1,919 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieurguzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones will always make the biggest difference in the sound, then amp/source. With this in mind I would definitely get the HD800s and the Dacmagic since you won't really see the benefits of a $1500+ Dac on HD650 unless powered with a great balanced amp.

Did you notice that I am using the BUDA or do you not consider that a great balanced amp? I know there are more expensive ones out there...

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #1,920 of 6,607
Add me to this thread. I've loved mine ever since i laid my hands on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back