Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Mar 27, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #1,891 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about my bad English, I'm pretty sure I reversely understand what jc stated.
redface.gif

No worries, I come from HK too.
atsmile.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #1,893 of 6,607
Quote:

Sorry about my bad English, I'm pretty sure I reversely understand what jc stated.
redface.gif

Cool dat!

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #1,894 of 6,607
Quote:

Thanks, jc.

I just noticed - you guys have Beta22's in Hong Kong? Yeee we need a 2010 meet la~

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #1,896 of 6,607
I just wanted to say that I've had my pair for almost two weeks, and I could not be any happier.

One thing that I've experienced so far, that contrasts with many of the reviews I've seen, is that the HD800 is not that hard to drive. Don't misinterpret me, they improve with amplification significantly (and are definitively not meant to be unamped).

Some days after I received them and burned them in (which eliminated a lot of their initial sibilance) I got curious and decided to skip the amp (a Lehmann BCL that I have on loan) and connect them directly to my Apogee Duet. And what I listened really surprised me, the sound produced was in the worst case comparable to the best I've heard of the HD650 driven balanced (I don't say it was definitely better since I could not compare them directly, but if I would have to choose just by using my memory the HD800-duet combo was superior easily).

It surprised me and definitely was not what I expected, that was why I asked a friend to loan me the BCL, so the HD800 could sound good, but if I knew before that they sounded that would with a not so high end amp (the duet is a great DAC for the price, but the headphone amp is not that impressive) I would not have been so worried about necessarily having a great amp before buying them.

I just wanted to post my "initial" impressions, and tell how happy I am. I say initial because I've had the HD800 for almost a month (I had one pair to audition for two weeks before I received my own), and I don't think a month is enough time to have a complete impression of a headphone, but it is enough time to have a good idea. I plan to post an in depth review about all of my headphones and others I've auditioned, specially the HD800 sometime in the summer. Maybe I will also publish it in my personal site that I am creating.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #1,897 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Strummer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to say that I've had my pair for almost two weeks, and I could not be any happier.

One thing that I've experienced so far, that contrasts with many of the reviews I've seen, is that the HD800 is not that hard to drive. Don't misinterpret me, they improve with amplification significantly (and are definitively not meant to be unamped).

I agree that they aren't that hard to drive, but (there's always a but) they do scale very nicely with better and better equipment and are able to reach new heights with better gear. They can be financially sinister that way (like their predecessor HD600/HD650).

Enjoy...they are certainly amazing cans!
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #1,898 of 6,607
Yes...they aren't that hard to drive. Certainly easier than 70x let alone T1 in that respect. They only get better w.r.t. time so enjoy your gradual exposure to a scintilla of audio nirvana if not already there. :]

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #1,899 of 6,607
Quote:

Some days after I received them and burned them in (which eliminated a lot of their initial sibilance) I got curious and decided to skip the amp (a Lehmann BCL that I have on loan) and connect them directly to my Apogee Duet. And what I listened really surprised me, the sound produced was in the worst case comparable to the best I've heard of the HD650 driven balanced (I don't say it was definitely better since I could not compare them directly, but if I would have to choose just by using my memory the HD800-duet combo was superior easily).

It surprised me and definitely was not what I expected, that was why I asked a friend to loan me the BCL, so the HD800 could sound good, but if I knew before that they sounded that would with a not so high end amp (the duet is a great DAC for the price, but the headphone amp is not that impressive) I would not have been so worried about necessarily having a great amp before buying them.

I just wanted to post my "initial" impressions, and tell how happy I am. I say initial because I've had the HD800 for almost a month (I had one pair to audition for two weeks before I received my own), and I don't think a month is enough time to have a complete impression of a headphone, but it is enough time to have a good idea. I plan to post an in depth review about all of my headphones and others I've auditioned, specially the HD800 sometime in the summer. Maybe I will also publish it in my personal site that I am creating.

I recall you had the DT48 on your list.. Since you got the HD800, maybe you should spend the money else where, unless you just want to try them.. I really want the HD800 bad.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #1,900 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that they aren't that hard to drive, but (there's always a but) they do scale very nicely with better and better equipment and are able to reach new heights with better gear. They can be financially sinister that way (like their predecessor HD600/HD650).

Enjoy...they are certainly amazing cans!
bigsmile_face.gif

Yeah, their sinister powers have already led me to decide building a beta22 in the not so far future (this year, maybe in the summer). At the beginning of the year I was a happy HD650 user (I still have them, and don't plan to give them up), and my plans were to upgrade to a balanced rig. I heard a pair with the RSA Apache and it was great, but then I started to do the math, and getting a good balanced rig would be comparable, if not more expensive than getting a HD800. Since I know a very good friend that owns the HD800 I got the opportunity to audition them for a couple weeks, and I completely made up my mind, so I ended up buying a pair of my own. That they perform well with not so high end amplification was just the (awesomely great) icing in the cake
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes...they aren't that hard to drive. Certainly easier than 70x let alone T1 in that respect. They only get better w.r.t. time so enjoy your gradual expose to a scintilla of audio nirvana if not already there. :]

I've been so delighted, I finished my undergrad thesis just before I got them, so I have been hearing them practically 24/7, and having insomnia and being a loner makes that not far from the truth at all
L3000.gif
(why is there no HD800 smile?).

I've read almost no reviews of the T1, and I've never heard them personally, but it strikes me as a surprise that they are so hard to drive. It kind of surprises me due to the 1 Tesla magnet that they speak about and the lighter driver, if I had done a (blind) bet about their difficulty to be driven I guess I would have lost
frown.gif
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recall you had the DT48 on your list.. Since you got the HD800, maybe you should spend the money else where, unless you just want to try them.. I really want the HD800 bad.

As a matter of fact when I told about my plans of getting a DT48 I already had the HD800. They seem like a very interesting headphone, and I want to get a pair to have the opportunity of analyzing them carefully, and from the way you and Uncle Erik have described them, and also the threads in your sig, they seem to be very different to anything produced today. I get the impression that they sound like a no soundstage HD800 or something like that. Also since they are made for investigation and measurements, they get the researcher in me very very excited to try them and compare them with others.

Anyways thank you all for the responses and good wishes!
beerchug.gif
(And I also hope you can join the HD800 club kool bubba ice, the best luck in getting a pair!)

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #1,901 of 6,607
The HD800's and the T-1's have great sensitivity and cannot be placed in the same class as the 300 ohm headphones from the early 2000's.

There's a big difference between a 80 db speaker or headphone and a 92 dB one.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #1,902 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD800's and the T-1's have great sensitivity and cannot be placed in the same class as the 300 ohm headphones from the early 2000's.

Very well put!
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #1,903 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thought that their sensitivity was given by the Sound pressure level (SPL) given by the manufacturers, in which case the HD650 has greater sensitivity than the HD800 (by 1 db according to the Senn website, which is statistically not that significant, but I brought this up as an example of what I'm saying), but I could be mixing things here, I'm not sure. In case I'm wrong how can you know the sensitivity of a headphone?

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #1,904 of 6,607
Quote:

Yeah, their sinister powers have already led me to decide building a beta22 in the not so far future (this year, maybe in the summer). At the beginning of the year I was a happy HD650 user (I still have them, and don't plan to give them up), and my plans were to upgrade to a balanced rig. I heard a pair with the RSA Apache and it was great, but then I started to do the math, and getting a good balanced rig would be comparable, if not more expensive than getting a HD800. Since I know a very good friend that owns the HD800 I got the opportunity to audition them for a couple weeks, and I completely made up my mind, so I ended up buying a pair of my own. That they perform well with not so high end amplification was just the (awesomely great) icing in the cake
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

I've been so delighted, I finished my undergrad thesis just before I got them, so I have been hearing them practically 24/7, and having insomnia and being a loner makes that not far from the truth at all
L3000.gif
(why is there no HD800 smile?).

I've read almost no reviews of the T1, and I've never heard them personally, but it strikes me as a surprise that they are so hard to drive. It kind of surprises me due to the 1 Tesla magnet that they speak about and the lighter driver, if I had done a (blind) bet about their difficulty to be driven I guess I would have lost
frown.gif
tongue.gif

As a matter of fact when I told about my plans of getting a DT48 I already had the HD800. They seem like a very interesting headphone, and I want to get a pair to have the opportunity of analyzing them carefully, and from the way you and Uncle Erik have described them, and also the threads in your sig, they seem to be very different to anything produced today. I get the impression that they sound like a no soundstage HD800 or something like that. Also since they are made for investigation and measurements, they get the researcher in me very very excited to try them and compare them with others.

Anyways thank you all for the responses and good wishes!
beerchug.gif
(And I also hope you can join the HD800 club kool bubba ice, the best luck in getting a pair!)

Thank you. I want to be in the club too..Scratching & clawing my way in. Sometimes I regret getting my oppo83se over the HD800. Looking back I could have afforded it, but was just playing it safe. Just need to sell & save.. Might get the NUforce mod on my 83SE first though, since I already have the 83SE.. Yes, the HD800/DT48 are similar yet very different in certain ways.. According to Kevin/Erik who own & love both.. I'm sure the DT48 will get less playing time & a few cob webs once I get the HD800.. The imaging, SS, speed, bass, neutrality has me on full tilt right now.. Just need to S.S.J Sell. Save. Get new job.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #1,905 of 6,607
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this community and was drawn to it by my interest in musical experience.
I'm planning to invest in some audiophile equipment for the first time, and therefore it would be the Sennheiser HD800. For a while, I would prefer using it with portable music players, and laptop.

I heard of amplifiers, as well, that it helps to enhance and increase the sound quality of such music sources and portable ones are just what I will need for those headphones at first (later on, I would move to more serious amplifiers, but not for a few more years).

I put together these, after some surfing around, and like to ask, if it would be a good combo:

-Sennheiser HD800
-CablePro Reverie HD800 cable (from TTVJaudio: CablePro Reverie HD800 cable [Reverie] - $489.00 : TTVJ, Home of High End Audio ) (need something shorter than 10 feet)
-iBasso Amplifiers (not sure if D10 or T3/T4 would be better, would need help with it too)
-and another random cable from the portable amplifier to the music player/laptop.

Could someone with experience in audiophile equipments agree with my combo, or correct me if there is something better for that use.

(will stick to the HD800 for sure, as it looks much better compared to other high-end headphones and the reviews about its sound quality are also convincing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back