Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 3, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #736 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Headphones that sound "great" right off the bat are usually problematic in the long run.

And what do un-problematic headphones sound like right off the bat?

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #737 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm PO'd that Luxman discontinued their P-1, at least for the US market. I have a feeling that my current amps don't really cut it for the HD800's, and the P-1 sounds like it would have really fit the bill for my system and tastes. Oh well, I'll just have to get something else.

You'll be happy to know that Luxman is going to be producing more P-1's in the Fall.

Read through the CanJam impressions thread. Someone reputable in there said they talked to Todd about this.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #738 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not plastic, it's a stainless steel mesh. I wouldn't try to puncture it if I were you
redface.gif
but you can touch it and it won't damage them. Just don't push it hard.

Actually they dent quite easily. I've seen so many demo pairs have small dings and dents in them. Unless it's the one that someone stepped on.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #739 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is one area that seems pretty fragile and that is the exposed diaphragm around each of the drivers. Typically this is enclosed, but on the 800's is exposed on the outside. It feels like a very thin plastic that could easily be creased or punctured which I'm sure would affect the sound.

It's not exposed at all. The stainless steel mesh is not protecting any of the driver elements. The driver is not that big. It's completely enclosed. Unless you jam a knife or ice pick in there, you will be fine even if you abuse it.

3177825643_2a22dc5b72.jpg

-Ed

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #740 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll be happy to know that Luxman is going to be producing more P-1's in the Fall.

Read through the CanJam impressions thread. Someone reputable in there said they talked to Todd about this.

Wow, that's very good news.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #741 of 6,607
Quote:

Ditto. But what I will say is this:

HD800 SE stock cable or BAL stock cable reterminated > HD600 SE or BAL, stock cable or recable > HD650 SE or BAL, stock cable or recable

I agree 100%

Now, where do I find the link to register?
frown.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #742 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There probably should be some clarification about that. They are not listed as discontinued on the Japanese Luxman site, but there appear to be almost no on-line vendors carrying them here and many that still have pages up say they are discontinued as opposed to out of stock.

Osaka's largest electronics store near me no longer carries them. I grabbed the last one in one of my larger impulse purchases. It is indeed a very nice amp.

I wonder if Luxman is just going to convert some remaining portion of their stock to US voltage to distribute to TTVJ. If they still are in production, it is hard to explain why they are almost completely unavailable in Japan. It could be that Todd is going to receive some limited number of them and then that is it for the P-1. Too bad if that is the case.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #743 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree 100%

Now, where do I find the link to register?
frown.gif

Here you go, Larry:

Sennheiser Worldwide - HD 800

Also, any more impressions with your Amphora? If you don't plan on using your Amphora for awhile (since your HD800 are balanced), I'd love to borrow it so I could do a better review. I didn't spend more than 10 minutes with it at CanJam.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #744 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some one from CanJam felt the HD800's detail and speed was on par with his SA5000, which disappointed me.. I expected electro type speed and resolve.

That to me isn't dissapointing at all. Its high praise.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #747 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some one from CanJam felt the HD800's detail and speed was on par with his SA5000, which disappointed me.. I expected electro type speed and resolve.

As a SA5000 owner, I will have to say HD800 >= SA5000 in these aspects. The dead neturality and totally lack of echoy signature make HD800 a level higher.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #750 of 6,607
Quote:

Here you go, Larry:

Sennheiser Worldwide - HD 800

Also, any more impressions with your Amphora? If you don't plan on using your Amphora for awhile (since your HD800 are balanced), I'd love to borrow it so I could do a better review. I didn't spend more than 10 minutes with it at CanJam.

I'll try to PM you in a few days about possibly sending it out to you. As you know, I posted my Amphora + HD800 impressions already, but I don't have any more thoughts right now because I am burning in both the HD800 and a Head-direct EF2 at the same time together (killing two birds with one stone).

(for other people who didn't see it) http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...ml#post5730065

Although the HD800 sounds fantastic balanced, they are also great single ended and I suspect I will use them with my laptop/Pico DAC/Amphora a good bit. I already have an APS V3 SE to 4-pin adapter that I can use for the HD800 with Amphora, and I will also be getting the stock 1/4" plug made into an SE adapter soon. My main finding with the HD800 was that the Amphora single ended amp is stiff competition for my Single Power Balanced Square Wave XL (2008 model w/Blackgates), although I still prefer my Woo WA6 a little more in the end.

Summary of my Amphora review prior to CanJam: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/amp...2/#post5608290

Users who are viewing this thread

Back