Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 28, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #77 of 6,607
X2
beerchug.gif

May 28, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #78 of 6,607
Some speaker companies (Harbeth might be one of them) keep records of frequency response. This facilitates replacement of individual drivers with an exact match if, down the line, something breaks or malfunctions.

As to differences between individual HD 800s - - the variations in frequency response are held within specific tolerances so there won't be audible differences. The more refined the product, the tighter the tolerances.

May 29, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #79 of 6,607
Well so far I'm not impressed with the initial reviews. They don't sound like the "best dynamic headphones ever made" that Jude and Tyll reported. I wonder if the different earpad material has something to do with this, and perhaps any other materials that may have been changed from pre-production to production.

I do feel that we will have very varied responses on this headphone because of the way they present the sound at a 45 degree angle. Many people are used to the unnatural way headphones present the music so I think it will take some time for people to get used to this. Myself, I'm sure I will find it a blessing that they sound more like speakers. I'm just concerned mainly about the tonality and overall accuracy of these cans.

May 29, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #80 of 6,607
They look like glasses just won't work. With my k501, and using the Meier positioning, I can still focus; the temples sitting above the earcups.

Can they be worn over glasses? Comfort, sound?

May 29, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #81 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well so far I'm not impressed with the initial reviews. They don't sound like the "best dynamic headphones ever made" that Jude and Tyll reported. I wonder if the different earpad material has something to do with this, and perhaps any other materials that may have been changed from pre-production to production.

If the HD800 truly is a "neutral" can then lukewarm impressions are to be expected. I think you already pointed this out. I have a fairly euphonic pair of headphones (Denons) and whenever I listen to flat studio monitors I always find them unimpressive. The euphonic characteristics of the Denons have colored my expectations of what sound should sound like.

But, if we can adjust to euphonic headphones then we can adjust to neutral headphones. If you want to adjust is separate question.

For example, I adulterate my coffee with milk and sugar. Some people think I'm killing the original taste of the coffee. This is true and I could adjust to black coffee if I wanted to. But I don't want to. I like my adultrated coffee.

I'm sure some "Best Headphone Ever" comments will be along shortly.

May 29, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #82 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the HD800 truly is a "neutral" can then lukewarm impressions are to be expected. I think you already pointed this out. I have a fairly euphonic pair of headphones (Denons) and whenever I listen to flat studio monitors I always find them unimpressive. The euphonic characteristics of the Denons have colored my expectations of what sound should sound like.

But, if we can adjust to euphonic headphones then we can adjust to neutral headphones. If you want to adjust is separate question.

For example, I adulterate my coffee with milk and sugar. Some people think I'm killing the original taste of the coffee. This is true and I could adjust to black coffee if I wanted to. But I don't want to. I like my adultrated coffee.

I'm sure some "Best Headphone Ever" comments will be along shortly.

Reading Blubliss' preliminary listening experiences, it sounds like the HD800 is a progression of the Sennheiser sound. In my opinion I wouldn't classify the "Sennheiser sound" as neutral. Of course to each his own and I look forward to hearing them myself at Can Jam.
tongue_smile.gif

May 29, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #85 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found that the more "impressed" one is with a headphone on first listen...the less impressed they are about it a few weeks down the road....

This I agree with. I can see myself liking these more and more. Time will tell. We'll see what others have to say this weekend. They can compare them to my other phones on my system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so they still sound like the old classic senns???

I would not say that. It has some of the same flavor but probably more differences. In the future I will compare them to the HD600 & 650.

Still no response on the Senn registration so no graph. They may not be set up yet? It asks for a 6 digit S/N in the registration and I only have 5 digits. I added an extra 0 at the beginning so it would go through. Let's see what happens.

May 29, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #86 of 6,607
I'm also curious how you find the HD800 compared to your HE90.

May 29, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #87 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by blubliss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It asks for a 6 digit S/N in the registration and I only have 5 digits.

i don't know why but i found this really funny.
biggrin.gif

should have mine tomorrow. hope it has 6 S/N.
beerchug.gif

May 29, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #88 of 6,607
I heard both HE90 and HD800.

HEV70 vs Onkyo receiver ... humm ... I think something worng here. :wink:
You need to use "at least" same quality amp to be able to comments those side to side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back