Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #46 of 6,607
Glad to see that the HD800 are real.

May 28, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #48 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not wait until people have a chance to live with them for a few weeks so they can post real impressions, not just the ooohs an ahhhhs of new toy love, especially if these cans live up to the first impressions of the handful of folks who heard them? CanJam will offer enough first-take type impressions. Appreciation should be something that grows, and can be articulated best when out of the initial crush-love phase I hope to experience.

While I understand, and respect, your view I personally don't see the reason why first impression views shouldn't be interesting to the headfi-crowd. The people that gives these impressions are allowed to change their views, and post about it. I think the road to the "final" verdict is almost as interesting as the end point (well not quite but anyway...). And for now it almost seems like people are afraid of posting first impressions....

May 28, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #49 of 6,607
This is fun stuff. When I was little I remember all the Moon Landings. We had updates by the hour. We felt like we were part of history being made. But come on now, these are just headphones. Most of the best sound improvements for me are not that big of a change, they are little things that show over time. Anyone expecting the reinvention of the wheel will be let down. I will hope for the best headphone out there with the HD 800.
If they end up being number one in owners circles then they have made their goal.

May 28, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #51 of 6,607
Yeah post more pictures. That video Jude posted, well I'm sorry, the HD800 looks ridiculous on that dude's head. Let's see some more headshots! Until I watched that video, I did not quite understand how MASSIVELy huge the HD800 was. And well, when I think of luxury items, even if it has the cutting edge technology (not saying it's just for display), I like to think of the word "refined." Like the the DX1000, the D7000, L3000, HE90, they all have a very refined look to them. Granted they are wood. Hmm the AD2000, A2000X, Qualia 010 all look very refined and sleek. The HD800 looks cumbersome to me.

But that is just looks. Let's see some pictures please and the SOUND.

How does it sound? Are you floored? Is this the best sound you've heard from a headphone? C'mon, soon as you get home start listening to some tunes. Please don't be like some who just burn in their headphones for 400 hours before listening to their headphones. Go go, listen and write back. This is exciting to see if Sennheiser's new technology will set the new standard in sound!

Oh also, congradulations to the new HD800 owners, how exciting.

May 28, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #52 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first impressions please... also post your frequency response pics hehehe so that we can open that can of worms

I gave my first impressions in post #44 of this thread.

May 28, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #53 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you may be onto something with the idea of not being used to such accurate sound. I was trying to hold off on saying anything, but with the understanding that this is extremely preliminary I will say that at first I was not blown away by the sound, compared to my Denon D7000's, as I was expecting (hoping) to be based on the advanced hype. They absolutely sound very good and without question better than HD600/650. I think having listened to the Denon's almost exclusively since December, the more accurate bass balance of the 800's made them sound lightweight on first listen. As time went on (and it wasn't much time with many interruptions from my son) I started to get the feeling that they really are something special. Immediately obvious strong points are a treble that is very natural and non-fatiguing with the least vocal sibilance I have experienced, also the headstage is wide open. It was not just way way better than the Denon's in one-two hours of listening. Time spent over the weekend should shed more light.

What type of music do the 800's excel in over the D7000's and vice versa in your initial listening?

Also can you answer the questions regarding the earpads? What are they made of?

May 28, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #54 of 6,607
Congratulations to the new owners....look forward to your impressions....really enjoying my HD650s now and thinking of you and it's big brother...backed out myself but this is exciting and I'm very happy for all of you.

May 28, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #55 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gave my first impressions in post #44 of this thread.

Yes, and thank you very much for your impressions donlin! Very balanced. I still got hope for a good headphone. I don't expect it to shake the ground or something like that, it's not that kind of phone methinks. Hopefully just a very balanced phone.

May 28, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #57 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type of music do the 800's excel in over the D7000's and vice versa in your initial listening?

Also can you answer the questions regarding the earpads? What are they made of?

Listened to mostly acoustic music last night so can't answer yet. Also, I can't say for sure what the earpads are made of as I haven't seen anything like it before. They are pretty thin and stiff yet with a soft surface. The way I described them probably sounds uncomfortable but they actually are comfortable. The diameter is large so they spread the force out over quite a large area rather than concentrating right near the ears.

May 28, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #58 of 6,607
Get your son to take a picture of the HD800 on your head!

May 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #59 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD 800 has a serial number on the headband and you will be able to look up the details of your specific model on the Sennheiser website.

The HD 800 registration page is HERE - register then you can get specific frequency response details.

Are you telling me sennheiser "graphed" the frequency responce of each headphone before it went out the door....? Everyone is going to have a personal frequency chart....really? I find that hard to beleive.

May 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #60 of 6,607
Honestly, you can have immediate likes and dislikes concerning a first encounter with a component. But if you are versed and experienced only with time will you be able to express the positive and negative aspects of what you are hearing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back