Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 28, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #61 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you telling me sennheiser "graphed" the frequency responce of each headphone before it went out the door....? Everyone is going to have a personal frequency chart....really? I find that hard to beleive.

Sennheiser have been saying since the very start that you would be able to look up your individual headphones by serial number on-line.

You must have been asleep.
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #63 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS: John, you get yours yet?

No - they all went to the USA
frown.gif

May 28, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #65 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you telling me sennheiser "graphed" the frequency responce of each headphone before it went out the door....? Everyone is going to have a personal frequency chart....really? I find that hard to beleive.

Etymotic does this too for the ER-4 series; they just don't post the graphs online, but they do keep the graphs for QA purposes when the headphones come back for repair.

May 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #66 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No - they all went to the USA
frown.gif

German hifi shops have not even received the written contracts they need to sign before they can actually sell the HD 800. I am miffed.

May 28, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #68 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser have been saying since the very start that you would be able to look up your individual headphones by serial number on-line.

You must have been asleep.
biggrin.gif

Thats a good possiblity because I haven't been mired in the controversy surrounding these headphones, and wasn't on any of the preorder lists...However I will still get mine before many, having ordered last night at Music Direct, and expect them tommorow...so yes I'm a late commer to the party....

I'll take your word for it and see what the deal is when I type in the info on the website tomorrow.....sounds time consuming (for sennheiser) to do this for every pair leaving thier facility but I guess it's what they do....

May 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #71 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the frequency responses will be slightly varied between units, won't this make it hard to make accurate comparisons to other headphones? Or has the frequency of each HD800 been tuned to sound the same?

I doubt any headphone models have exactly the same frequency response between each of them. The parts might come off the same production line, but their nature will result in a different frequency response. It's probably not that great a difference, but it will be there nonetheless.

May 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #72 of 6,607
well if some of the people who have the friggin headphones would post their data we could all find out about these charts. its not that difficult....right click...copy...paste...done. Lets go people.

May 28, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #73 of 6,607
Sorry, haven't even opened mine, and giving them to Alex for a retermination tonight, so, I won't hear them until tomorrow... and, maybe even through my new(est) amp (as yet unheard).

I'll register and post the graph tonight.

May 28, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #74 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the frequency responses will be slightly varied between units, won't this make it hard to make accurate comparisons to other headphones? Or has the frequency of each HD800 been tuned to sound the same?

Will we even know measurement to measurement variations? It'll be impossible to compare graphs if there are variances in measurement since even moving the drivers/headphone a bit on the test machine will result in a different measurement.

It would be very odd for any headphone company to put out a product where there is an audible difference between individual headphones in the same model. Graphs or not, they should sound the same.

May 28, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #75 of 6,607
Ok, some very initial impressions....

The phones fit nicely on the head, not too snug. You won't want to be moving around too much with these on if it is warm, pads are warmish, that is, they heat up the ear area for me.

My first thoughts are that this is a "nice" headphone which means to me that it is fun and warm, the basic Sennheiser sound IME. They are more detailed and soundstage is larger than previous HD models, but the general flavor is still around.

Consider that I am putting them next to the R10s, HE90, SR-Omega in my mind so they have a lot to live up to. They do not have the same spot on tonality or soudstage as the R10s, not yet. Maybe they will get closer when balanced. And I definitely would like to try some different driver tubes with these, I think that will make a difference.

The bass for me is very nice, tight and not overboard, like the L3000 can be on my amp. The amount is just right for me, but I am definitely not a basshead anymore, although I thought I was at some point. When I started listening to the R10s and HE90, that changed. I like a balanced presentation, which the HD800 has. It is not as extended on the top end (as my other phones) but still gives a lot of detail/nice presentation.

Anyway, I can see myself keeping these and listening when I just want to relax and listen to music in a "fun" manner. They do provide enjoyment. I found myself smiling in the usual places when listening to my favorites.

More to follow.....

(Vai, chill, i registered and am waiting for the reply email. Not here yet. Then I will post the graph. We do have lives beyond headphones
wink_face.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back