Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 8, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #9,196 of 9,628
Feb 8, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #9,197 of 9,628
It seems that the future of 660S was mentioned in the topic of 660S2. They will be in the end discontinued in the future and replaced by the new model.

There is stock remaining at the dealer level in the product will continue to be supported with the two-year warranty from date of purchase, spare parts etc. Ultimately (in time) the original HD 660S is replaced by the HD 660S2. Those that prefer the 660S signature over the 660S2 signature should jump into the original without hesitation as it will be service and parts supported in the long term.

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #9,200 of 9,628
Wow, speaking of mayfly lifespan, HD660S is getting discontinued already.
Blue is the new Red, welcome HD660S2. :laughing:
And what a horrible naming scheme.
Makes you wonder if the new owners have more control than they assured us they do not have.

New owners.... back off, don't make the vets rage-quit, hands off, give them space to be happy and follow their wisdom.

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #9,201 of 9,628
Yes but on a personal subjective basis, I would prefer them with more neutral bass and less mid range prominence.
Does the extra bass make they sound a little muddy or you want better clarity from the 660S2’s?

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #9,202 of 9,628
If the music doesn't want bass the performers can just ... not do it. No need to roll off, no need to hyper boost.
go
From a science standpoint, bass is the Freq not heard only by ears but actually as a shake in the whole body and some say in a standard 4/4 beat emulating the human heart in mother's womb. On headphones which I believe we're discussing, that does not go to body only ears, so some have suggested mild lifting of bass shelf compensates for the lack of synaesthetic corporeal transduction taken on by the rest of the human body, when true live music is performed.

A long way of saying that giving headphones a little bit of bass is OK if you're careful to not cloud or mud the rest.

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #9,203 of 9,628
Does the extra bass make they sound a little muddy or you want better clarity from the 660S2’s?
They are not muddy and have great clarity but I need better tonality.
More correct, less coloring
I am referring to bass, mid-bass and not sub-bass and I listen only to classical if that helps.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #9,206 of 9,628
They are not muddy and have great clarity but I need better tonality.
More correct, less coloring
I am referring to bass, mid-bass and not sub-bass and I listen only to classical if that helps.
Got it and that makes sense for that genre of music.

Feb 8, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #9,207 of 9,628
Wow, speaking of mayfly lifespan, HD660S is getting discontinued already.
Blue is the new Red, welcome HD660S2. :laughing:
And what a horrible naming scheme.
I don't understand complaints about the name. It's brand and model equity, as the HD 600 series is legendary in the audiophile community. Why lose that marketing asset with a name change? The marketplace will understand more at launch about the HD 660S2 than something named the HD Incredible.

There's a reason Nike is on the Air Jordan XXXVII instead of renaming the shoe every five iterations or so. You see Jordan, you know what you're getting. Same with an HD 600 series can. Marketing 101.

Or do we want Sennheiser to follow Audeze's lead and implement new versions of its headphones on the regular with no name change? I LOVE my LCD-X 2021, but it's pretty lousy branding and marketing when you need to check a serial number to determine which version of a product you have.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #9,208 of 9,628
Ahhhh a reference!! 👍
...and another last night ...violinist Rachel Podger with Tafelmusik......."La Passione: Haydn & Mozart". : )
(sorry no photos allowed during the performance).........
Sadly today more than 90% of the audience was composed of older geriatrics like myself and probably the same crew from 50 years ago, just older. : )
IMG_6783.JPG

https://tafelmusik.org/concerts-events/concerts/haydn-mozart/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back