Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 29, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #9,166 of 9,653
Speaking of…got to hear the Toronto Consort last night (in Toronto)…all a bit Medievil if you ask me….not a mike or amplification in site. : )
Ahhhh a reference!! 👍

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #9,168 of 9,653
Ahhhh a reference!! 👍
Been to a couple these last few months........Vancouver’s Standing Wave Ensemble performs ex Machina. (in Toronto)
IMG_6059.jpg

Anthony Braxton & James Fei + Nadja . St. Anne's Anglican Church in Toronto back in the Fall.
IMG_5309.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #9,169 of 9,653
Jan 29, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #9,170 of 9,653
I wonder what the difference is from the 660s?

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #9,171 of 9,653
I have learned to trust Solderdude of DIY Audio Heaven because his comments are always thoughtful, precise and restrained. His measurements on these show no significant difference in the bass between the two:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd660s/

Had I obsereved better the measurements of Crinacle and Oratory1990 (whose work I admire too), I wouldn't have tried any conclusions about the accuracy of the first HD-660S2 graphs.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #9,172 of 9,653
I have to travel 500+ km to Athens in order to enjoy a decent live performance of classical music.
Thessaloniki is only for food and drinking...
A town fallen into Limbo.
Frappe city...but still the best.

Και σαν την Χαλκιδική δεν έχει...
Ο μύθος που διαδίδεται από τους κατοίκους της φραπεδούπολης...
Κουράγιο, υπάρχουν και χειρότερα για όσους αγαπούν την κλασική! Δεν ζείτε στη Λάρισα...

Don't lose your courage, things are even worst elsewhere for classical music lovers!

Jan 29, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #9,173 of 9,653
I have learned to trust Solderdude of DIY Audio Heaven because his comments are always thoughtful, precise and restrained. His measurements on these show no significant difference in the bass between the two:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd660s/

Had I obsereved better the measurements of Crinacle and Oratory1990 (whose work I admire too), I wouldn't have tried any conclusions about the accuracy of the first HD-660S2 graphs.
I like his reviews, too. :)

From his perspective the conclusion makes sense. Even on his measurements the 650 has veeery slightly more bass but it indeed looks like a non-significant difference there. Maybe his 650 pads are slightly worn out, or his particular 660s has slightly more bass than the average.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #9,174 of 9,653
Ο μύθος που διαδίδεται από τους κατοίκους της φραπεδούπολης...
Put your response in Google Translate. Made me laugh out loud!!!

Leo

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #9,175 of 9,653
Put your response in Google Translate. Made me laugh out loud!!!

Leo
The Google translation is "slum dwellers" but the meaning in Greek is totally different.

"Frappe" is some kind of an iced coffee that used to be the number one coffee beverage in Greece.

"Φραπεδούπολη" = is the town where everyone is having a lot of leisure time drinking "Frappe" coffee without really doing anything.
They don't really work, they don't care about arts, music, they basically don't care about anything.
It is a town where everyone and everything is fake, no real life, no real personalities, no real education, no real sentiments etc
The town of boredom where everything is done for the show and the show must go on.

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #9,176 of 9,653
The Google translation is "slum dwellers" but the meaning in Greek is totally different.

"Frappe" is some kind of an iced coffee that used to be the number one coffee beverage in Greece.

"Φραπεδούπολη" = is the town where everyone is having a lot of leisure time drinking "Frappe" coffee without really doing anything.
They don't really work, they don't care about arts, music, they basically don't care about anything.
It is a town where everyone and everything is fake, no real life, no real personalities, no real education, no real sentiments etc
The town of boredom where everything is done for the show and the show must go on.
That's a very good translation of the word "φραπεδούπολη" indeed!
However, though I have not lived in Thessaloniki and have not grown to love it, I must note in its favor that it is also a very big university-city with a very large campus with tenths of thousand of students. They never let the coffee shops or the city center to look empty. Also there is a vast and hard-working working class, alas with high rates of unemployment. Combine these with the generally good Greek weather and our love for socialization and you have a very good part-explanation why the city-center is always full of people doing nothing special. An other part of the explanation is unfortunately as @Ichos has described it but it is rather not special in Thessaloniki or Greece. It is our depressing modern world of "social" media, emptiness, fast money/fame and eventually a despise for real education...

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #9,178 of 9,653
11971095.jpeg

If this comparison proves to be correct, then we can say that we have a return to the HD-650 tuning minus the high-midrange emphasis plus the 660's inherited virtues. I think this could be someone's dream Sennheiser here! :wink:

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #9,179 of 9,653
11971095.jpeg

If this comparison proves to be correct, then we can say that we have a return to the HD-650 tuning minus the high-midrange emphasis plus the 660's inherited virtues. I think this could be someone's dream Sennheiser here! :wink:
Count me in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back