Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Sep 24, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #7,846 of 9,624
Yeah, I've tried multiple cables. There's a noticeable difference between the 660s and my other 6 series headphones (I have them all).

I think I have a dud. Thanks all.
Darn that stinks! Hopefully Sennheiser or the vendor you bought them from will take care of you.

Sep 24, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #7,847 of 9,624
Yeah, I've tried multiple cables. There's a noticeable difference between the 660s and my other 6 series headphones (I have them all).

I think I have a dud. Thanks all.

Yes, normally I would stay away from "refurbished" items - this is my personal opinion and I have also bought and enjoyed used, but like new items - different ballgame when you can trust the seller. However, in my experience, refurbished items have a higher chance of problems and they are not worth the 15 or 20% discount. Something like the 660S can easily be in your arsenal for years to come, might as well start with it new.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #7,848 of 9,624
Got the replacement HD660S and definitely it was a defective balanced cable. The new balanced cable works just fine with both HD660S. Keeping the new one and retuning the one with defective balanced cable back to Amazon.

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #7,849 of 9,624
I hate when that happens with Headphones , i had some problems with other manufacturers , the last one had balance problems the one channel was louder than the other and change it under warrenty .
I also had a headphone that some times the Left driver stop working , and it wasnt the cable it was something inside the driver that when it started geting hot it stopped , i never change it or fix it :frowning2: .

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #7,850 of 9,624
Yes, normally I would stay away from "refurbished" items - this is my personal opinion and I have also bought and enjoyed used, but like new items - different ballgame when you can trust the seller. However, in my experience, refurbished items have a higher chance of problems and they are not worth the 15 or 20% discount. Something like the 660S can easily be in your arsenal for years to come, might as well start with it new.
Oh it was a refurbished item ... ok that explains it . I never never buy refurbished products even 50% price cut . I have very bad xp from many other products .

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #7,851 of 9,624
If i understand correct the sound is a bubble and u can hear the sides of the bubble louder than the center of the bubble ? If thats it ,then NO this must not happen ... and my HD6 line compare for example to HD599 has more center sound and the suround sounds are not so forward .

ANyways ... Try that before doing anything , open an open world video game something like PUBG or Ring of elysium that is free , and tell to a friend move around u in circles first close and then far ... the sound that u hear when is close to u must be the shame level and only the position will change ... If he moves around u at the shame distance and u hear different volume then Yeah there is some problem there ...
I would tell u to test some free online souround programs but i prefer games because there is also a lot of environment sounds like waves, birds, dust etch etch ... so its better .

I make a stupid :) sketch to show u how it must works on HD 660s vs something like HD599 .

There's a map on CS:GO workshop called Audio Chamber, I tested my HD660s and HD560 and both sound a bit louder on left/right when I'm hearing for the AK47 shoot on stereo. But other sound effect like pistols getting dropped, footsteps, they sound the same, left/center/right.

I guess there could be other factors in play like soundcard, game engine, etc...

I'm also using the sennheiser GSX1200, and if enable the 7.1 sound, even the AK47 shoot sound equal(same amplitude) panning left/center/right.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #7,852 of 9,624
Yeah I don't think his pair is normal. I tested center image specifically in several games vs my 6xx and 560s, and the 660s has a "normal" center image to my ears. The thing is the imaging is way more 360 degree without the 3-blob left-mid-center that the 6xx has, so the center image blends in better. It's not recessed though.

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #7,853 of 9,624
Yeah I don't think his pair is normal. I tested center image specifically in several games vs my 6xx and 560s, and the 660s has a "normal" center image to my ears. The thing is the imaging is way more 360 degree without the 3-blob left-mid-center that the 6xx has, so the center image blends in better. It's not recessed though.

I'm sending them out on Monday. I really want to know what a different pair sounds like.

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #7,854 of 9,624

How do you like them for gaming? I think they sound really similar to the 560, but the 560 really benefits from the angled driver, I'm using the 660 for music, 560 for gaming...

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #7,855 of 9,624
There's a map on CS:GO workshop called Audio Chamber, I tested my HD660s and HD560 and both sound a bit louder on left/right when I'm hearing for the AK47 shoot on stereo. But other sound effect like pistols getting dropped, footsteps, they sound the same, left/center/right.

I guess there could be other factors in play like soundcard, game engine, etc...

I'm also using the sennheiser GSX1200, and if enable the 7.1 sound, even the AK47 shoot sound equal(same amplitude) panning left/center/right.
I never use surround , dolby, or any other kind of fake effects. I always disable effects on windows sound options and also use 32 or 24 bit at 48.000 rate.
About your CS test i really dont know how this works. What i know is that shooting from Ak47 on pubg for example it sounds way more louder than footsteps and this is normal for me. But i have friends that use Surround or Gaming effects to hear those footsteps more and they work , but me i am more to realistic way :) . In real life shooting range that i was when a m416 shoots my ears was ringing that how loud it was .

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #7,856 of 9,624
yeahp i think its something wrong also. He must test them to other pc and dac amp. And next move to test other pair.

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #7,857 of 9,624
I'm sending them out on Monday. I really want to know what a different pair sounds like.
Have u take of the foam to check the driver ? I remember years ago i read a person with HD600 the driver was pushed down and it worked but sound way different compared to others . He just pushed some air from outside andnthe drivers got the shame stock egg shape and it sounds correct...
Also i guess the cables with L and R are looking outside .
Just saying :)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #7,858 of 9,624
How do you like them for gaming? I think they sound really similar to the 560, but the 560 really benefits from the angled driver, I'm using the 660 for music, 560 for gaming...
The 560s do have a fairly similar sound, as Sennheiser sort of marketed them as a more affordable, lower performance brother to the 660s. Also yeah the angled driver and wide soundstage are really great for gaming. I enjoy gaming in both, depends on the game.

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #7,860 of 9,624
Hi. Happy new owner of the 660s. However the cable came already plugged in to the headphone and absolutely impossibke to remove. It seems like their are glued to it...any idea what to do?
They're very difficult to remove for sure. Why do you want to remove them?

Just keep pulling, pulling straight down- not at an angle as that can damage the connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back