Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Sep 29, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #7,876 of 9,628
Sure!! Here you go!!

Sennheisers:

IMG_8348.jpeg
IMG_8347.jpeg

IMG_8354.jpeg

Sundaras:
IMG_8353.jpeg

IMG_8352.jpeg

IMG_8351.jpeg

Connectors:
IMG_8356.jpeg

All my connectors are 1 foot long so the total length of the cable is 5.5'. As you can see Hart Audio cables end in a 4 pin female mini XLR connector and all the connectors at one end are a 4 pin male mini XLR connector and in the other end the connector of your choice (Balanced or SE)

IMG_8361.jpeg

IMG_8362.jpeg

They are super soft and not bulky:
IMG_8360.jpeg

I also ordered 1 x 2.5mm balanced and 1 x 3.5mm SE connectors for OTG that are coming with the DCA AEON 2 Noire cable.
Can u make a test with Sundara ? While u listen music slowly put your hands closer to the driver outside... Does it affect your sound ? Because on my soundara they do a lot.

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #7,877 of 9,628
It does look like the original... But strangely there is no info from Sennheiser for this.
Yeah it's strange. It came in Sennheiser packaging though, similar packaging to pads I've bought direct from Sennheiser, so I think they're legit. Material, cable width and feel are identical as well.

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #7,878 of 9,628
This is what I purchased. Its advertised as a "genuine" Sennheiser cable. Its slightly shorter than the 6xx/58x cable but seems to be identical in build. It arrived in Sennheiser packaging.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2F51LD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now that you mention it, I can't seem to find this cable for sale on the Sennheiser website.

It does look like the original... But strangely there is no info from Sennheiser for this.
There is a 1.4m/3.5mm plug cable from Sennheiser, that is/was intended to be sold in a combo with the Apogee Groove. So they don't show it under the 'plain' model listings.

The part is listed as Sennheiser Article No. 570679

It shows up as one of the available parts under these listings:
https://spares.sennheiser.com/en-us/catalog/product/508526-hd-660-s-apogee
(shows the standard 3m/6.35mm with 6.35/3.5mm adapter and the 3m/4.4mm cables, as well as the 1.4m/3.5mm to go with the Apogee Groove)

https://spares.sennheiser.com/en-us/catalog/product/506971-hd-650-groove
(shows only the 1.4m/3.5mm plug cable under this listing, you have to look at the regular HD 650 listings to see the standard long cable)

Here is the direct link for that particular cable:
https://spares.sennheiser.com/en-us/catalog/sparepart/570679

Connecting cable with 3.5mm plug, 1.40m

That Amazon listing from your link says it's a 1.4m cable, but Amazon doesn't show 570679 as the part number. If your packaging has that article number, it should be a genuine Sennheiser part. I can't imagine anyone bothering 'faking' that exact length when the original part isn't expensive.

Hope that helps! I searched for all of the factory cable options & bookmarked the links when I got my HD 58X, just in case I ever needed/wanted a length or connector other than what it shipped with, but then I got the HD 660S and the HD 600, so I ended up with a few cable options that way!

(What good are extra cables sitting around when you can have other Senn headphones attached to them all? :smiley: :) hahaha!)

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #7,879 of 9,628
There is a 1.4m/3.5mm plug cable from Sennheiser, that is/was intended to be sold in a combo with the Apogee Groove. So they don't show it under the 'plain' model listings.

(shows the standard 3m/6.35mm with 6.35/3.5mm adapter and the 3m/4.4mm cables, as well as the 1.4m/3.5mm to go with the Apogee Groove)

(shows only the 1.4m/3.5mm plug cable under this listing, you have to look at the regular HD 650 listings to see the standard long cable)

That Amazon listing from your link says it's a 1.4m cable, but Amazon doesn't show 570679 as the part number. If your packaging has that article number, it should be a genuine Sennheiser part. I can't imagine anyone bothering 'faking' that exact length when the original part isn't expensive.

Hope that helps! I searched for all of the factory cable options & bookmarked the links when I got my HD 58X, just in case I ever needed/wanted a length or connector other than what it shipped with, but then I got the HD 660S and the HD 600, so I ended up with a few cable options that way!

(What good are extra cables sitting around when you can have other Senn headphones attached to them all? :smiley: :) hahaha!)
Awesome info, thanks! I'm going to save these links for future reference lol.

Oct 1, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #7,880 of 9,628
Got yesterday my Hart Audio cables. What a GREAT cables for such a cheap price. Super flexible and soft, right length and the connection system is just so smart. I have a pair of DCA AEON 2 Noire on the way and already ordered the Hart Cable for the Noire :) For any person owning more than one pair of cans and multiple headphone amps, these are a must have. Thanks again for the tip :wink:
I am glad that you like them I love mine I hope heart audio stays in business for years to come I plan on buying replacement cables for every headphone I pick up in the future from them.

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #7,881 of 9,628

Greta info , thanks for taking time finding all those.

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #7,882 of 9,628
After months of waiting .... my AudioQuest Sorbothane Came .

Long story short , i like trying different kind of mods on HD6 line from simple ones to remove spider cage , holes in foams , using different kind of foams from other Companies, using different cables, pads , the dynamat mode that i use on car audio , etch etch .... some was ok some others was not for me .

I wasn't expecting much so i try that on HD6XX , first listening i thought noooo it must be placebo ... 1 week after and omg its controlled everything sounds , hard to explain tighter more in position , it doesnt change the signature at all thats what i like ... i cant i really cant understand how it makes sense to sound better . I will use them side by side 2 months and if i keep listening those improvements on Sorbothane HD650 i will do it on HD 660s also .

I put a link if anyone is interest to try it , It cost me 50 euro its very easy to use , it cuts easy its thin but HEAVY material and sticks inside with glue ( that can take off without any marks) https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-damping-sheet-stick-15-24cm/dp/B0006DPMPE#customerReviews 9004_Audioquest_Sorbothane_Self_Stick_kosmashifi-stoa-fexi.jpg20211001_184907.jpg20211001_185637.jpg20211001_192022.jpg20211001_192148.jpg

Oct 1, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #7,883 of 9,628
After months of waiting .... my AudioQuest Sorbothane Came .

Long story short , i like trying different kind of mods on HD6 line from simple ones to remove spider cage , holes in foams , using different kind of foams from other Companies, using different cables, pads , the dynamat mode that i use on car audio , etch etch .... some was ok some others was not for me .

I wasn't expecting much so i try that on HD6XX , first listening i thought noooo it must be placebo ... 1 week after and omg its controlled everything sounds , hard to explain tighter more in position , it doesnt change the signature at all thats what i like ... i cant i really cant understand how it makes sense to sound better . I will use them side by side 2 months and if i keep listening those improvements on Sorbothane HD650 i will do it on HD 660s also .

I put a link if anyone is interest to try it , It cost me 50 euro its very easy to use , it cuts easy its thin but HEAVY material and sticks inside with glue ( that can take off without any marks) https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-damping-sheet-stick-15-24cm/dp/B0006DPMPE#customerReviews
Having been modding headphones for years I have found sorbothane can make a big difference. It basically helps with vibration control which usually brings more control, focus, bass slam, and overall dynamics. The challenge can come where to place the sorbothane and what is the best amount to use.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #7,884 of 9,628
Having been modding headphones for years I have found sorbothane can make a big difference. It basically helps with vibration control which usually brings more control, focus, bass slam, and overall dynamics. The challenge can come where to place the sorbothane and what is the best amount to use.
So i am not crazy on this... Thank u for all those info , i never heard anything about that. Sorbothane material , using it and hearing exactly what u said.
So it helps with vibrations produced on the headphone structure... Hmm that make sense .
Do u think from your xp that they placement that i did is ok ? It needs more or less ?
I can surely hear more control and the word i was looking for, focus.

Oct 5, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #7,885 of 9,628
Having a listening session with the 660s tonight, I've been listening to random Snarky Puppy tracks and switching back and forth between my 6xx and 660s. Every time I directly compare them I'm pretty blown away by the imaging on the 660s. I mean seriously, they might have the best imaging I've ever heard, its insane.

Also on well recorded stuff and particularly live recordings, which is a lot of Snarky Puppy, I feel like its extremely clear how the 660s just has a better, more technically capable driver than the 650/6xx. The level of detail, imaging and separation are just superior. I adore the 6xx and would argue that they are tuned better/ more enjoyably (they have the best "timbre" or whatever you want to call it that I've heard), but the 660s are clearly, at least to me, a superior headphone.

They also have this really unique ability to be more in your face and sharp than the 6xx, but never fatiguing. Everything is so damn smooth.

Getting to the point where I really can't listen to headphones not made by Sennheiser haha. I tried the Sundara because everyone was raving about it, but to me they just sound harsh and lack the finesse of Sennheiser's line. I preferred the 560s to them honestly, let alone the 6xx/660s.

660s might be one of the most criminally underrated headphones out there.

Oct 6, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #7,886 of 9,628
Having a listening session with the 660s tonight, I've been listening to random Snarky Puppy tracks and switching back and forth between my 6xx and 660s. Every time I directly compare them I'm pretty blown away by the imaging on the 660s. I mean seriously, they might have the best imaging I've ever heard, its insane.

Also on well recorded stuff and particularly live recordings, which is a lot of Snarky Puppy, I feel like its extremely clear how the 660s just has a better, more technically capable driver than the 650/6xx. The level of detail, imaging and separation are just superior. I adore the 6xx and would argue that they are tuned better/ more enjoyably (they have the best "timbre" or whatever you want to call it that I've heard), but the 660s are clearly, at least to me, a superior headphone.

They also have this really unique ability to be more in your face and sharp than the 6xx, but never fatiguing. Everything is so damn smooth.

Getting to the point where I really can't listen to headphones not made by Sennheiser haha. I tried the Sundara because everyone was raving about it, but to me they just sound harsh and lack the finesse of Sennheiser's line. I preferred the 560s to them honestly, let alone the 6xx/660s.

I agree when i go from 600 650 to 660s the first thino that i can hear is the imaging and sepperation.
Sundaras are also amazing headphone i love the openess and sparkle but like u said 660s are way more natural way better vocals that feel like they sing in front of u .

About 660s being underrated let me tell u that... If Sennehiser had just make a different in appearance headphone with 700s name on it and the sound of 660s asking 600-900 euros , people would say WOW what an amazing upgrade what an amazing option compare to Focals , Hifimans etch etch...
But giving them 6 series name and U.S. having that 6xx price and VFM Yeah its normal to be underrated.
But really nothing cant compared with vfm of 6xx ( unless if u dont like that sound signature).

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #7,887 of 9,628
I'm sending them out on Monday. I really want to know what a different pair sounds like.

So I got them back and they seem fixed, at least to my ears. They replaced the left and right drivers. I wish I still had access to the old drivers to see if it was all in my head. But I've compared them to my other Sennheisers and they sound right.

I've had channel imbalances. That's not what this was. All the repair says is "replaced both right and left drivers". Bizarre.

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #7,888 of 9,628
So I got them back and they seem fixed, at least to my ears. They replaced the left and right drivers. I wish I still had access to the old drivers to see if it was all in my head. But I've compared them to my other Sennheisers and they sound right.

I've had channel imbalances. That's not what this was. All the repair says is "replaced both right and left drivers". Bizarre.
Yeah the way you were describing it didn't sound right at all. Glad they took care of you and replaced the driver's, hopefully you can find some enjoyment with them now.

Oct 7, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #7,889 of 9,628

Happy for u. I hope u enjoy them now.
Give them time :wink:

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #7,890 of 9,628

I agree with most everything you have to say here but just want to point out that because of the 150 ohm impedance of the 660s drivers, they don't scale as well with an otl tube amp as the 600 and 6XX/650 which both have 300 ohm drivers. The 600 and 6XX/650 both "hit another gear" and scale considerably better when paired with otl tube amps. If you are running most solid state, tube hybrid, or transformer coupled tube amps the 660s is the technically superior phone. If you have or want to add an otl tube amp however, I still think the 600 and 6XX/650 are the way to go in the 600 family. Just my experience and personal preference. Of others my have different experiences and preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back