Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jun 28, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #6,361 of 9,628
Both are stock units in that I’ve done nothing to mod them. I got the 660s from the Sennheiser.ca store so I would hope they are authentic. The HD 650 was through Amazon.ca with Amazon warehouse as the seller. I don’t put a whole lot of stock in rtings.com ratings but the tempature chart they have when you compare the 660s vs 650 is probably what I’m noticing, there is this immediate cooling I feel within two minutes of putting the 650 on. Similar to what my old Game Ones feel like. At least with the 660 I can feel the clamp loosening already and running them on low gain seems to not make me feel so nauseous ( probably from repeated concussions I’ve had that I am sensitive to it I guess)

Can u post some photos of your 660 and 650 up close on headband and up close on pads ? Also can u take off easily the pads and take photo the driver production date ? If u got new they will have recent product date .

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #6,362 of 9,628
Amazon warehouse means you got a used unit. Maybe the previous owner already bent the metal to decrease the clamping force. That is then why you feel more heat using the HD660S.

I was reading many posts by people saying that they bought headphones from amazon test them and after that sending them back.
I was always wondering how is this posible and what happen to all these used heasphones....
Now i know , for me there is no way i would buy something that is used by other people that dont know. Sennheiser headphones come in without any seal tape and thats something that also dont like.
This is tge reason i always buy direct from Sennheiser. bose.Beyer etch etch.

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #6,363 of 9,628
I was reading many posts by people saying that they bought headphones from amazon test them and after that sending them back.
I was always wondering how is this posible and what happen to all these used heasphones....
Now i know , for me there is no way i would buy something that is used by other people that dont know. Sennheiser headphones come in without any seal tape and thats something that also dont like.
This is tge reason i always buy direct from Sennheiser. bose.Beyer etch etch.
I decided to send the 650 back to Amazon. It did say New when I was ordering it but I just know I like the 660 more overall for sound, although I thought both were great. Amazon does specify used .org not if you go to buying options but I guess you don’t truly know. Everything packaging wise looked new, just the smell between the two was so different and the comfort is massively different initially which sounds like it shouldn’t be. If the clamp loosen a bit on the 660 which I feel it has already, hopefully it then stops giving me a headache. I noticed the heat less on my ear as the evening got cooler. It’s been a while but I feel like my game one’s felt the same for me at first, but I’ve had them too long to actually remember.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #6,364 of 9,628
Fur me here in europe it is cristal clear, warehouse deals are always open boxes.

Jun 28, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #6,365 of 9,628
Unfortunately i dont have HD800 to test but everyone is saying that are top on these characteristics u already said.
I wonder how they compared to HD700 on soundstage and immersion?
The HD 800 (and HD 800S) have more realistic soundstage and imaging. Immersion is somewhat up to personal interpretation... the HD 700 had more midbass to cater to a wider variety of tastes, but the midrange was a bit recessed, so some would feel it was less immersive because it was less realistic while others would feel it was more immersive because it was warmer and more “exciting.”

Someone might argue that the midrange recession made the HD 700 have a larger soundstage, but that distance was always there even when something more intimate was supposed to be happening, and the bass masked a bit of the upper midrange and treble details that help the HD 800 soundstage stretch on and on... with a good setup, the HD 800 soundstage seems to extend forever. The HD 800 also enjoys better separation, for the same reasons. The HD 800S is similar from my listening at CanJams and Sennheiser’s store/HQ, in fact after some quiet demoing I would prefer the newer model, but I’m more familiar with the HD 800 because I’ve owned a pair for four years (April 2016!) and I briefly owned an HD 700 before that (Impressions are buried somewhere in the Mad Lust Envy headphone gaming thread).

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #6,366 of 9,628
Really happy with my 660S (having previous owned Sony's Z7, Z7M2 and Z1R) but curious to try the 800S - I have read a lot of different opinions. The 660S ticks off a lot of boxes on my "settle" list - but of course I'm always interesting if there's something better and something that takes my music to another level.

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #6,367 of 9,628
Really happy with my 660S (having previous owned Sony's Z7, Z7M2 and Z1R) but curious to try the 800S - I have read a lot of different opinions. The 660S ticks off a lot of boxes on my "settle" list - but of course I'm always interesting if there's something better and something that takes my music to another level.
Interesting as I just bought the Z7s and are totally floored! I'll be getting the Z1R as my next hi end purchase for sure. Well either that or the fostex th900 mk2.

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #6,368 of 9,628
Can u post some photos of your 660 and 650 up close on headband and up close on pads ? Also can u take off easily the pads and take photo the driver production date ? If u got new they will have recent product date .
This was the HD 650 driver, shows 13/01/20.

Attachments

• IMG_2599.JPG
    IMG_2599.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2600.JPG
    IMG_2600.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2601.JPG
    IMG_2601.JPG
    843.1 KB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #6,369 of 9,628
So...take this with a grain of salt since I've only owned the HD800 (never heard the HD800S).

But...if you're open to brands other than Senn, I'd consider the Focal Clears as well. My Clears replaced my 800's and no buyer's remorse here!

Admittedly, I'm also a bigger fan of the 660 (and even the 6XX) over the HD800 -- which is blasphemy in some corners where it's frowned upon to disagree with another's preferences :wink:

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #6,370 of 9,628
...if you're open to brands other than Senn, I'd consider the Focal Clears as well. My Clears replaced my 800's and no buyer's remorse here!

What do you think of the difference in sound stage between the two (Clear and 660S)?

I agree that the 660S are a better set of 'phones than the 650, from a detail viewpoint. But both the 650 and the 660S have a "3-blob" character, with respect to sound stage.

I am looking for my go-to cans for classical music.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #6,372 of 9,628
What do you think of the difference in sound stage between the two (Clear and 660S)?

I agree that the 660S are a better set of 'phones than the 650, from a detail viewpoint. But both the 650 and the 660S have a "3-blob" character, with respect to sound stage.

I am looking for my go-to cans for classical music.
I think the soundstage is a little better on the Clears than the 6 series. That said, I'm really not a soundstage guy like some folks are; remember I got rid of a soundstage 'monster' for the Clears!

Honestly, what I really like about the 6 series cans are the 'natural-ness' or timbre or whatever you want to call that. They just sound right! :L3000:
Additionally, the 6XX allows me to put the player on shuffle for longer sessions and not have to skip poorly recorded songs. So...it gets a fair share of time even though I'd say I like the 660S better for active listening to well-recorded music.

Lastly, I'm more of a Blues, Jazz, Rock, R&B, Folk listener than classical. FWIW, I did enjoy well-recorded classical on the HD800's. Enough so, that I probably wouldn't have replaced them if my library was 'classical heavy'.

There, that should be confusing enough!!! :wink:

*as always ymmv

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #6,373 of 9,628
I think the soundstage is a little better on the Clears than the 6 series. That said, I'm really not a soundstage guy like some folks are; remember I got rid of a soundstage 'monster' for the Clears!

Honestly, what I really like about the 6 series cans are the 'natural-ness' or timbre or whatever you want to call that. They just sound right! :L3000:
Additionally, the 6XX allows me to put the player on shuffle for longer sessions and not have to skip poorly recorded songs. So...it gets a fair share of time even though I'd say I like the 660S better for active listening to well-recorded music.

Lastly, I'm more of a Blues, Jazz, Rock, R&B, Folk listener than classical. FWIW, I did enjoy well-recorded classical on the HD800's. Enough so, that I probably wouldn't have replaced them if my library was 'classical heavy'.

There, that should be confusing enough!!! :wink:

*as always ymmv

I am very much in a similar boat as @Krutsch except not for the same listening objective (for me mostly gaming). Looking for something very similar to the 660s but with wider sound stage. Any other options at a cost less than HD800s or are these my only hope? I posted a different thread here with more details if interested.

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #6,374 of 9,628
So they are new ones... Strange about the pads being different on feeling.
Yeah, I even wore the 650 for an hour this afternoon which is the longest I have had them on. Was a bit of pressure but didn’t have much of a headache later. Put the 660 on this evening and my ears are noticeably warm still after only 15 minutes (which I can handle) and the top of my head is pulsing with a headache, even though I felt the clamp was looser tonight. While I don’t think it’s significant I spent some time writing owns what I wasn’t hearing in songs and the 660 is still coming away better in what I enjoy. I just don’t know if I can handle the headaches if the clamp doesn’t loosen up.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #6,375 of 9,628
Yeah, I even wore the 650 for an hour this afternoon which is the longest I have had them on. Was a bit of pressure but didn’t have much of a headache later. Put the 660 on this evening and my ears are noticeably warm still after only 15 minutes (which I can handle) and the top of my head is pulsing with a headache, even though I felt the clamp was looser tonight. While I don’t think it’s significant I spent some time writing owns what I wasn’t hearing in songs and the 660 is still coming away better in what I enjoy. I just don’t know if I can handle the headaches if the clamp doesn’t loosen up.

I had to fix the clamp, do at your own risk... retract headphones from headband and bend the metal slightly on each side. I did that, and also put it on a box that was slightly larger than the width of my head for a few hours. I believe that the headphone is not possible to enjoy stock without stretching it.

PS, i have read that the older 650 pad were much softer. I do not have a source, just something i remember stumbling on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back